Mr Stats

World's Oldest

Henry isn't even number one man.

The true poisoned chalice now passes to Gertrude Bains. So far as the Wikipedia's tenure as main authority is concerned, no living incumbent has lost the title to another living person. In theory it could happen, a living person proving him/herself older than the oldest known, but it's unlikely.

Not true, Both Bolden and Calment regained the title after losing it. See final paragraph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar%C3%ADa_Capovilla

• Like 1

The true poisoned chalice now passes to Gertrude Bains. So far as the Wikipedia's tenure as main authority is concerned, no living incumbent has lost the title to another living person. In theory it could happen, a living person proving him/herself older than the oldest known, but it's unlikely.

Not true, Both Bolden and Calment regained the title after losing it. See final paragraph.

All seems a bit random with these 2 bit Jonny Foriegners....I think we all need to get behind Henry...who is as honest as the day is long !

Aye, I stand corrected. Well, I'm sitting down at the moment, but you know what I mean.

Cathrine Hagel, the world's third oldest person, has died at the age of 114. Strangely, her sister in law, Delvina Dalheimer, also lived to the age of 114.

Only found out yesterday that Hagel was the great aunt of family friend. Didn't realise until I saw the name Gulczinski listed in the news articles

Manuela Fernández-Fojaco, who was the oldest Spaniard and the oldest European, has died (link in Spanish). A potentially unique pick for Oldies but Goodies... all that remains to be seen is whether she gets a proper obit or not. Her only hope is if some press in Britain cares about the oldest European...

Another potential unique for the DDP's "Oldies but Goodies". This time it's #2 Beatrice Farve bowing out.

That takes Henry to 16th oldest in the World

I think the one thing that we are all wondering is how long is Henry Allingham gonna last? Will he make it to oldest man in the world? (Tomojo Tanabe would have to die first) Or the oldest person in the UK (that woman, just checking her name, Florrie Baldwin, would have to die first)? Either or both of these remain distinct possibilities.

Oldest person in the world is unlikely but that Emiliano Mercado del Toro guy managed it, and he was male at the top of a list of women, although didn't last long as world's oldest.

But then one day, you'll find out that Henry Allingham has died. Sometime, it will happen. And the game of following supercentenarians on Wikipedia will have lost one of its most interesting players.

I think this picture sums up what we all want to happen though. I'm not even English but I think it'd be cool to see him, a World War I veteran, get this far...

allinghamcalment.jpg

But he would have to live to the end of 2018 for that to happen, and that would be incredible.

#9 in the world Yoshino Ide has bowed out, which is interesting/important only in that it brings 'ol Henry to #15. There's a link, but it won't do you much good unless you know Japanese.

Current rankings are here and, as far as I know, there's no one above Henry waiting to be validated... though "out of nowhere" candidates do occasionally happen.

EDIT: And apparently another unique DDP hit as well... although I suspect that Ide has the same UK obit chances as the last couple of hits for the team that chose her...

Berta Rosenberg, the world's 19th oldest person (or maybe 18th, given the post above) has died at the age of 112. She was the world's oldest Jew.

Oldiest but Goodies keeps the hits coming with the death of Portugal's oldest person Augusto Moriera. The article's in Portuguese and it's actually about his successor, Antonio de Castro, but since there are no English sources anyhow, I figured whatever.

#9 in the world Yoshino Ide has bowed out, which is interesting/important only in that it brings 'ol Henry to #15. There's a link, but it won't do you much good unless you know Japanese.

Current rankings are here and, as far as I know, there's no one above Henry waiting to be validated... though "out of nowhere" candidates do occasionally happen.

EDIT: And apparently another unique DDP hit as well... although I suspect that Ide has the same UK obit chances as the last couple of hits for the team that chose her...

In the spirit of Japanese picks picked by that team, here's an a Japanese obituary for the fifth-oldest man, Kiyoshi Igarashi.... if these picks were all getting UK obits, it would have been a fantastic strategy... ;)

C. Letitia Lawson, the second-oldest person in Iowa, has died just over a month shy of her 113th birthday. Who cares? Well it moves ol' Henry up to 14th place, right under Florrie Baldwin.

Well it moves ol' Henry up to 14th place, right under Florrie Baldwin.

Where's mpfc when you need him? :skull:

LAGOS (AFP) - Nigeria's anti-drugs agency has arrested a 114-year-old Nigerian man after discovering 100 bags of cannabis behind his house in southwest Ogun state, a senior official said Saturday.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090321/oddi...annabis_offbeat

There's no way that's real though. You expect them to have accurate records in Nigeria?

:unsure:

With all that cannabis lying around, maybe he looked 114...

Kou Iijima, formerly the world's 11th oldest person, currently generous enough to have moved Henry A. up to 13th oldest in the world. (There's a link that might be useful to any who speak Japanese).

Some tips on what to eat if you want to make it to 100 years of age.

Our Spanish friends would like to claim Maria Díaz Cortes was the title holder at 117. She is now known to have died at the end of January.

From the ever-reliable <_<Wikipedia

"... she owns a valid Spanish identity card with such a birth date, but it was not issued before 1975 and is not a copy of an earlier one, and her daughter is only 72"

Not sure about the last point, why does her daughter's age cast particular doubt on her claim?

However, unfortunately she will have to be consigned to the "not proven" list.

"... she owns a valid Spanish identity card with such a birth date, but it was not issued before 1975 and is not a copy of an earlier one, and her daughter is only 72"

Not sure about the last point, why does her daughter's age cast particular doubt on her claim?

Well, her daughter's original claimed age was 65, which would have made MDC 52 when she had her if she truly was 117 (which is exceedingly rare, even in cases where fertility drugs are used). In this case, she would have been 45, which is possible, but still unlikely given the era and society into which she was born.

However, all it really is is just the GRG's way of trying to sneak subjective doubt into the claim without breaking Wikipedia's POV rules.

edit:

removed

• Like 1