Mr Stats

World's Oldest

I was reading through some old Scottish documents on Friday when I read some surprising ages of death.

The publication was The Scots Magazine from between 1739-1790. I was looking through the obiturary sections looking for some of my own ancestors. On passing glances, there appeared to be an awful lot of 100+ deaths. I was surprised to see a number who were said to be over 110. There was one man who was said to be 130 when he died.

Obviously they are probably bullshitters (whether knowling so or not).

This is just one of the many things that distracts me from doing real work...

Real work?

You mean like down a mine or something?

No. I meant real work as in course work which might actually count for something.

The UK's oldest person turns 112 and is the only one who stands in the way of Henry Allingham being crowned the UK's oldest person.

Tsuneyo Toyonaga, Japan's oldest person has died at the age of 113

101-year-old rocker, agony aunt, ale drinker, chav-foiler and show-off Buster Martin is running the London Marathon.

He came, he saw, he conquered, but did he dissemble?

'He has got British citizenship from the Home Office that says how old he is

Charlie Mullins, managing director, Pimlico Plumbers'

That made me chuckle - as if somehow it makes the claim that much more convincing, being vouched for by a plumber called Charlie.

Scotland's oldest woman dies at 110, seems the whisky kept her going so long.

American Chrissie Martenstein, has died at the age of 110. She was of the last survivors of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire.

Another oldster - Russian painter Moisey Aleksandrovich Feigin, who was in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's oldest working artist, has died aged 104.

Astrid Zachrison, Sweden's oldest ever and the world's 7th oldest person, has died hours short of her 113th birthday. Hey, more cake for everyone else.

Well, Zachrison doesn't look likely to get a UK obit, so I wonder if this lady - Clementine Solignac will.

She was, until her death yesterday, France's oldest person & has also been picked on the DDP.

Guest OOO

DDP pick & Germany's oldest lady (I think) - Frieda Borchert is verstorben

No UK obit - the fourth (again, I think - I am at work) hit All Nails has missed out on as a result.

No UK obit - the fourth (again, I think - I am at work) hit All Nails has missed out on as a result.

I checked, and she's the third miss. Zachrison, Solignac, and now Borchert.

It's four if you count Botterill who died in 2004

Oh. Silly me, I was only using List of the Lost as a reference.

Oh. Silly me, I was only using List of the Lost as a reference.

It's not silly. I only noticed Botterill because I was looking to see who of those remaining would get obits (Parker, Baldwin, Tanabe and Allingham are definites, Francis a possibilty I reckon) and needed reminding who Botterill was.

For all the 'soft' target blather on this thread there's a stubborn persistence in the behaviour of Allingham, Patch Tanabe and - frankly - the most obit-worthy of the extreme oldsters. I might have done well with a CP theme team averaging 104 years old but I'm packing some very elderly and unobliging cases in the current HPDP, and they're doing me no good at all at present.

Fellow deadpoolers be warned, or summat.

For all the 'soft' target blather on this thread there's a stubborn persistence in the behaviour of Allingham, Patch Tanabe and - frankly - the most obit-worthy of the extreme oldsters. I might have done well with a CP theme team averaging 104 years old but I'm packing some very elderly and unobliging cases in the current HPDP, and they're doing me no good at all at present.

Fellow deadpoolers be warned, or summat.

From what I hear, Patch won't be around too much longer, sadly. Surviving to the end of this year, maybe. Surviving to the end of next year, highly unlikely. Tanabe is likely to go the distance, and Allingham has a 50/50 shot either way really. Neither of the two WWI veterans have any reasonable chance of being the last anyhow.

138-year-old Indian man dies. :rolleyes:

On his alleged 138th birthday... Miyan said, "Kisi raees ki mehfil ka jikra kya hai amir, khuda ke ghar bhi na jayenge bin bulawe ke"

Translation: I like to tell whopping porkies.

• Like 1