Typhoid Harry

James Bond 007 (Connery/Moore/Villains etc)

#He was a sk8ter boy #................ Could go in many threads but Tom Sims dead @ 62. http://espn.go.com/a...-cardiac-arrest

Was the snowboarding stunt double for Moore in ''A View to a Kill''.

Of lesser note, he was Skateboarding World Champion (1975) and Snowboarding World Champion (1983), and damn near invented snowboarding. Even Tony Hawks rode his boards whilst growing up.

You mean Tony Hawk. Tony Hawks is a British comedian

So a comedian cannot skateboard as a boy?

I guess it was a childhood ambition that didn't work out

Aye, the wheels came off, and thats how snowboards were invented wink.gif

• Like 1

#He was a sk8ter boy #................ Could go in many threads but Tom Sims dead @ 62. http://espn.go.com/a...-cardiac-arrest

Was the snowboarding stunt double for Moore in ''A View to a Kill''.

Of lesser note, he was Skateboarding World Champion (1975) and Snowboarding World Champion (1983), and damn near invented snowboarding. Even Tony Hawks rode his boards whilst growing up.

You mean Tony Hawk. Tony Hawks is a British comedian

So a comedian cannot skateboard as a boy?

I guess it was a childhood ambition that didn't work out

Aye, the wheels came off, and thats how snowboards were invented wink.gif

He kept quiet about that

Just heard an interview with the guitarist resposible for the famous riff in the theme, Vic Flick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Flick

Sounded pretty healthy for 75, but one for the future.

Just heard an interview with the guitarist resposible for the famous riff in the theme, Vic Flick.

Shouldn't this be in the ideas & poss thread or musicians thread? He's not a baddie/actor, he's a musician.

Shouldn't this be in the ideas & poss thread or musicians thread? He's not a baddie/actor, he's a musician.

Sorry, I had thought it had become a generic Bond thread when they were merged....

I will refrain in future.

Sorry, I had thought it had become a generic Bond thread when they were merged....

There were 4 seperate threads concerning JB, all of which were for the main characters/baddies. They were all merged so posts could be made on their health/deaths etc. It wasn't really inteneded to be merged for stunt doubles/musicians/extras/people that went to the cinema to watch a JB movie/someone that sat beside them on a bus when they were aspiring actors/school pals etc. That list is endless.

Just my thoughts on merging them.

There were 4 seperate threads concerning JB, all of which were for the main characters/baddies. They were all merged so posts could be made on their health/deaths etc. It wasn't really inteneded to be merged for stunt doubles/musicians/extras/people that went to the cinema to watch a JB movie/someone that sat beside them on a bus when they were aspiring actors/school pals etc. That list is endless.

Just my thoughts on merging them.

In fairness, the Bond franchise is arguably the biggest ever, anybody connected with it, no matter how tenuously, stands a decent chance of uk media coverage upon their passing

I was sure Roger Moore had his own thread, but I'll add it here...

Roger took the chair in last night's "Have I Got News For You?" and was quite funny, bit wooden, but that's a trademark he plays very well. Anyway he looked quite well (for all his many minor troubles) and on this form wrote himself out of major contention to find the big wooden exit door next year.

For those who missed it, you can still catch it on the iPlayer for a while.

Now you've got me thinking about it, Timothy Dalton wasn't all that either!

DWB :ph34r:

I think Timothy Dalton got Bond wrong. He tried to play him as a character, not a characature.

However I haven't forgiven him for Rassilon yet.

Talking of 007, old Roger Moore (the worst bond ever) is knocking on in years, could be one to watch out for in 2005...I think he's in his 70's now...

Deffo worst Bond ever. Having seen the recent HIGNFY I suspect he's got a some soil from the 'old country' and a nice comfy casket in the basement - not popping off anytime soon.

Talking of 007, old Roger Moore (the worst bond ever) is knocking on in years, could be one to watch out for in 2005...I think he's in his 70's now...

Deffo worst Bond ever. Having seen the recent HIGNFY I suspect he's got a some soil from the 'old country' and a nice comfy casket in the basement - not popping off anytime soon.

Nah that was David Niven

Derek Watkins, trumpeteer who can be heart in every Bond theme from Dr No to Skyfall died at age 68.

Telegraph obit.

Looks like another one of the unsung but brilliant types who quietly add tons of class to the movies they work on. Amazing to think he must have worked on Dr No when he was barely old enough to order a watered down Vodka Martini. I just love that urgent riff in the "gunbarrel" sequences at the beginning of the older movies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkvBojJ6d5o

Also more awesomeness from the far-more-watchable-than-most-Bonds "A View to a Kill" here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f98i7N8g9Pw

Got to love those mad 80s guitar licks!

Looks like another one of the unsung but brilliant types who quietly add tons of class to the movies they work on. Amazing to think he must have worked on Dr No when he was barely old enough to order a watered down Vodka Martini. I just love that urgent riff in the "gunbarrel" sequences at the beginning of the older movies:

Also more awesomeness from the far-more-watchable-than-most-Bonds "A View to a Kill" here:

I'd say View To A Kill was one of the weakest Bonds, not least because Roger Moore was almost eligible for a bus pass

I'd say View To A Kill was one of the weakest Bonds, not least because Roger Moore was almost eligible for a bus pass

Believe it or not, that judgement has been challenged in recent years. Here's an example of it's reevaluation...

I always thought it was acknowledged that the very worst Bond film was "The Man with the Golden Gun".

I liked View To A Kill, sure Moore looked ancient but it was a pretty good plot and, sort of, did what Bond films do best, entertain!

Anyway, talking of "The Man with the Golden Gun" how is Christopher Lee these days?

I always thought it was acknowledged that the very worst Bond film was "The Man with the Golden Gun".

I liked View To A Kill, sure Moore looked ancient but it was a pretty good plot and, sort of, did what Bond films do best, entertain!

Anyway, talking of "The Man with the Golden Gun" how is Christopher Lee these days?

Popping up in the Radio 4 adaptation of Neverwhere

But it did have the coolest car stunt of all Bond movies. You have to agree with me on this one.

Here's a version of that without that totally out of place slide whistle, the second part.

I think the worst Bond by far was Die Another Day, too much reliance on gimmickry and possibly the weakest villains ever in Toby Stephens and Rosamund Pike

Guest American Sports Fan

I think the worst Bond by far was Die Another Day, too much reliance on gimmickry and possibly the weakest villains ever in Toby Stephens and Rosamund Pike

I'm a Bond fan, and I agree. Golden Gun, Moonraker, and View To A Kill are weak, but they still have some entertaining scenes and good one-liners; if you're just in the mood for some cheesy/goofy fun you could do a lot worse. Die Another Day has no redeeming values, unless you're a fan of Halle Berry or bad CGI (and I am neither). It has an idiotic story, B-movie special effects (three words: kite surfing scene), boring villains whose threaten-the-world-with-my-killer-satellite scheme was already done twice before, and the theme song is unlistenable. I think they were so focused on cramming in references to all the previous Bond movies for the franchise's 40th anniversary that they forgot to actually write a good movie around the references (or better yet, forget the references completely and make a damn awesome movie, like Skyfall for the 50th anniversary). DAD is the only entry in the series that I refuse to watch ever again, not even to make fun of it.

I'm a Bond fan, and I agree. Golden Gun, Moonraker, and View To A Kill are weak, but they still have some entertaining scenes and good one-liners; if you're just in the mood for some cheesy/goofy fun you could do a lot worse. Die Another Day has no redeeming values, unless you're a fan of Halle Berry or bad CGI (and I am neither). It has an idiotic story, B-movie special effects (three words: kite surfing scene), boring villains whose threaten-the-world-with-my-killer-satellite scheme was already done twice before, and the theme song is unlistenable. I think they were so focused on cramming in references to all the previous Bond movies for the franchise's 40th anniversary that they forgot to actually write a good movie around the references (or better yet, forget the references completely and make a damn awesome movie, like Skyfall for the 50th anniversary). DAD is the only entry in the series that I refuse to watch ever again, not even to make fun of it.

Largely agree, thought the first hour wasn't too bad, apart from Bond emerging from being tortured in North Korea for over a year and suffering no apparent emotional trauma

DaD theme tune..priceless...'Sigmund Freud...analyse this...analyse this.' O Madonna, what would we do without you. Please confine yer responses to less than 1k words...

• Like 1

DaD theme tune..priceless...'Sigmund Freud...analyse this...analyse this.' O Madonna, what would we do without you. Please confine yer responses to less than 1k words...

Priceless in the sense that I wouldn't wanna pay to hear it

• Like 1

And now Mr. Bond himself! Michael Caine announced Sean Connery is suffering from Altzheimer's disease.