Captain Oates

Interesting Ways To Die...

Death by water intoxication

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

Yes, dangerous stuff, water. Almost as bad as DHMO.

regards,

Hein

Apparently such events are known (in reference to the prize) as "Hold your wee for a Wii" contests. How puerile!

Saddams buddy Barzan was apparently decapitated whilst being hanged... this is some sort of 'long drop' style... how bloody long was it for the head to be ripped off? i mean.. how come the rope didnt snap rather than the neck? this is one video i dont think i want to see....

rm.

Saddams buddy Barzan was apparently decapitated whilst being hanged... this is some sort of 'long drop' style... how bloody long was it for the head to be ripped off? i mean.. how come the rope didnt snap rather than the neck? this is one video i dont think i want to see....

rm.

I don't get it. Surely if the rope was too long, his feet would have hit the ground and he wouldn't be dead, just a broken ankle, perhaps?

This just struck me, but not counting walking the plank, in history were there ever ways of drowning vicious condemned criminals by goverment?

This just struck me, but not counting walking the plank, in history were there ever ways of drowning vicious condemned criminals by goverment?

Here's Wikipedia's list of execution methods.

I suppose boiling to death and, to a certain extent, marooning are a sort of watery death. Keelhauling can drown the victim if it's done slowly.

I don't get it. Surely if the rope was too long, his feet would have hit the ground and he wouldn't be dead, just a broken ankle, perhaps?

courtesy of eMedicine.com:

With its relatively small diameter, lack of bony shielding, and close association of the airway, spinal cord, and major vessels, the human neck is uniquely vulnerable to life-threatening compression and distraction injuries. Throughout recorded history, various methods of strangulation (ie, disruption of normal blood and air passage in the neck) have been used by assailants and penal systems to injure or kill.

A hanging involves being suspended by the neck and can be classified as either "complete" or "incomplete." When the whole body is hung off the ground and does not touch the floor or platform at the end of the drop, the hanging is said to be complete. Incomplete hangings imply that some part of the body is touching the ground. Hangings also may be classified by intent (eg, homicidal, suicidal, autoerotic, accidental). Simple asphyxiation is not the cause of death in the majority of hanging injuries. In addition to the disruption of blood to the brain, associated cervical spinal disruption secondary to the forces involved in the hanging are almost uniformly fatal. Significant cervical spine and associated injury to the spinal cord occurs in hangings that involve a fall from a distance greater than the body height.

from Wikipedia (in this case I think it's OK :) ):

The long drop

This process, also known as the measured drop, was introduced in 1872 by William Marwood as a scientific advancement to the standard drop. Instead of everyone falling the same standard distance, the person's weight was used to determine how much slack would be provided in the rope so that the distance dropped would be enough to ensure that the neck was broken.

Prior to 1892, the drop was between four and ten feet (about one to three meters), depending on the weight of the body, and was calculated to deliver a force of 1,260 lbf (5,600 newtons or 572 kgf), which fractured the neck at either the 2nd and 3rd or 4th and 5th cervical vertebrae. However, this force resulted in some decapitations, such as the famous case of "Black Jack" Tom Ketchum in New Mexico in 1901 (see illustration). Between 1892 and 1913, the length of the drop was shortened to avoid doing so. After 1913, other factors were also taken into account and the force delivered was reduced to about 1000 lbf (4,400 N or 450 kgf).

Body weight; 1888-1913 drop; Modern drop

14.0 stone (196 lb, 89 kg); 8 ft 0 in (244 cm); 5 ft 5 in (165 cm)

13.5 stone (189 lb, 86 kg); 8 ft 2 in (249 cm); 5 ft 6 in (168 cm)

13.0 stone (182 lb, 82¾kg); 8 ft 4 in (254 cm); 5 ft 8 in (173 cm)

12.5 stone (175 lb, 79½kg); 8 ft 6 in (259 cm); 5 ft 11 in (180 cm)

12.0 stone (168 lb, 76¼kg); 8 ft 8 in (264 cm); 6 ft 1 in (185 cm)

11.5 stone (161 lb, 73¼kg); 8 ft 10 in (269 cm); 6 ft 4 in (193 cm)

11.0 stone (154 lb, 70 kg); 9 ft 0 in (274 cm); 6 ft 6 in (198 cm)

10.5 stone (147 lb, 66¾kg); 9 ft 2 in (279 cm); 6 ft 8 in (203 cm)

10.0 stone (140 lb, 63¾kg); 9 ft 4 in (284 cm); 7 ft 1 in (215 cm)

9.5 stone (133 lb, 60½kg); 9 ft 6 in (290 cm); 7 ft 5 in (226 cm)

9.0 stone (126 lb, 57¼kg); 9 ft 8 in (295 cm); 7 ft 7 in (231 cm)

8.5 stone (119 lb, 54 kg); 9 ft 10 in (300 cm); 7 ft 9 in (236 cm)

8.0 stone (112 lb, 51 kg); 10 ft 0 in (305 cm); 8 ft 0 in (244 cm

In Iceland women convicted of adultry or incest were sentenced to death by drowning. This practise ceased several centuries ago.

In Iceland women convicted of adultry or incest were sentenced to death by drowning. This practise ceased several centuries ago.

Of course, if you're believed to be a witch you are exonerated if you drown. :)

What about the men?

What about the men?

Beheading or trampling to death by horses.

Icelandic judges had an interesting take on suspended sentences:

"In 1605, Dýrfinna Halldórsdóttir was condemned to death for incest with her sister's husband, but was not to be executed until the child was seven years old. If the child died before that time, however, she was to be taken and drowned."

They are now trying to blame the guys cancer for his head being 'jerked' off.

By the way, don't feel sorry for him. He put people to death in meat grinders (or so they say)...

courtesy of eMedicine.com:

With its relatively small diameter, lack of bony shielding, and close association of the airway, spinal cord, and major vessels, the human neck is uniquely vulnerable to life-threatening compression and distraction injuries. Throughout recorded history, various methods of strangulation (ie, disruption of normal blood and air passage in the neck) have been used by assailants and penal systems to injure or kill.

A hanging involves being suspended by the neck and can be classified as either "complete" or "incomplete." When the whole body is hung off the ground and does not touch the floor or platform at the end of the drop, the hanging is said to be complete. Incomplete hangings imply that some part of the body is touching the ground. Hangings also may be classified by intent (eg, homicidal, suicidal, autoerotic, accidental). Simple asphyxiation is not the cause of death in the majority of hanging injuries. In addition to the disruption of blood to the brain, associated cervical spinal disruption secondary to the forces involved in the hanging are almost uniformly fatal. Significant cervical spine and associated injury to the spinal cord occurs in hangings that involve a fall from a distance greater than the body height.

from Wikipedia (in this case I think it's OK :D ):

The long drop

This process, also known as the measured drop, was introduced in 1872 by William Marwood as a scientific advancement to the standard drop. Instead of everyone falling the same standard distance, the person's weight was used to determine how much slack would be provided in the rope so that the distance dropped would be enough to ensure that the neck was broken.

Prior to 1892, the drop was between four and ten feet (about one to three meters), depending on the weight of the body, and was calculated to deliver a force of 1,260 lbf (5,600 newtons or 572 kgf), which fractured the neck at either the 2nd and 3rd or 4th and 5th cervical vertebrae. However, this force resulted in some decapitations, such as the famous case of "Black Jack" Tom Ketchum in New Mexico in 1901 (see illustration). Between 1892 and 1913, the length of the drop was shortened to avoid doing so. After 1913, other factors were also taken into account and the force delivered was reduced to about 1000 lbf (4,400 N or 450 kgf).

Body weight; 1888-1913 drop; Modern drop

14.0 stone (196 lb, 89 kg); 8 ft 0 in (244 cm); 5 ft 5 in (165 cm)

13.5 stone (189 lb, 86 kg); 8 ft 2 in (249 cm); 5 ft 6 in (168 cm)

13.0 stone (182 lb, 82¾kg); 8 ft 4 in (254 cm); 5 ft 8 in (173 cm)

12.5 stone (175 lb, 79½kg); 8 ft 6 in (259 cm); 5 ft 11 in (180 cm)

12.0 stone (168 lb, 76¼kg); 8 ft 8 in (264 cm); 6 ft 1 in (185 cm)

11.5 stone (161 lb, 73¼kg); 8 ft 10 in (269 cm); 6 ft 4 in (193 cm)

11.0 stone (154 lb, 70 kg); 9 ft 0 in (274 cm); 6 ft 6 in (198 cm)

10.5 stone (147 lb, 66¾kg); 9 ft 2 in (279 cm); 6 ft 8 in (203 cm)

10.0 stone (140 lb, 63¾kg); 9 ft 4 in (284 cm); 7 ft 1 in (215 cm)

9.5 stone (133 lb, 60½kg); 9 ft 6 in (290 cm); 7 ft 5 in (226 cm)

9.0 stone (126 lb, 57¼kg); 9 ft 8 in (295 cm); 7 ft 7 in (231 cm)

8.5 stone (119 lb, 54 kg); 9 ft 10 in (300 cm); 7 ft 9 in (236 cm)

8.0 stone (112 lb, 51 kg); 10 ft 0 in (305 cm); 8 ft 0 in (244 cm

Thank you. This has reassured me that I must be too fat to be hanged, as it only goes up to 14 stone. Late last night I followed a link from up above somewhere and had a good old read last night about various methods of execution. Then I had a dream that I was smashing someone's face in. I don't know if there is a connection between the two events.

Once again, apologies for not finding a more appropriate thread for this one:

Woman dies in the back of towed car

"An elderly Vancouver woman has died in hospital, days after she was accidentally left overnight in a car that had been towed...

Almost 24 hours later -- and after a frigid night -- an employee of Busters Towing discovered the woman, after scratching off some of the frost to check the vehicle's identification number. "

Maybe the esteemed mods might start some sort of "odd ends" (or even "odds and ends") thread for these kind of stories.

In a flood of sewage. You might say these people met a stinky end.....

In a flood of sewage. You might say these people met a stinky end.....

I shall keep this in mind the next time I am about to moan that I'm really in the sh*t.

Russian man killed by owl he tried to steal:

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2007/03/22/harrypotter.shtml

That's weird! I dreamt there was an owl in my bedroom last night...

Well, at the risk of splitting hairs it actually says he died of hypothermia. But assuming there's even a shred of truth in a news story that uses the line "Most likely....." before the writer just makes something up, nice effort from the owl.

Russian man killed by owl he tried to steal:

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2007/03/22/harrypotter.shtml

That's weird! I dreamt there was an owl in my bedroom last night...

Well, at the risk of splitting hairs it actually says he died of hypothermia. But assuming there's even a shred of truth in a news story that uses the line "Most likely....." before the writer just makes something up, nice effort from the owl.

I was merely quoting the headline. I agree, the particular link looked somewhat dodgy (can't think what "harrypotter" has got to do with it, unless that's the owl's name). However, some seemingly more trustworthy links have now appeared, such as

this one

• Like 1