VSBfromH

Not Exactly Famous...

Barry Humphries would be more likely to go before Rolf Harris.

I reckon that Dame Edna will go before either of those

Peter B. Greenough Former columnist for The Boston Globe has died at the age of 89

John McLusky has died aged 83.

He was the artist of the James Bond comic strip.

"The face John McLusky gave to Bond would be many people's first and lasting image of 007, including composer John Barry"

Are Humphries and Harris really Australians any more?

Aye this is a point worth pursuing, I think you're right with Gough Whitlam but I'd be interested in knowing from anyone on the forum with access to the right information how many famous Australians are still Austrailians.

So far as I can make out the following aren't. I haven't seen any of the passports but I'm going on several things, like usual residence, countries in which they own and operate businesses etc.

Kylie Minogue - British

Rolf Harris - British

Rupert Murdoch - American (for definite, he did it for the sake of running his empire from there)

Barry Humphries - British

Paul Hogan - American

Mel Gibson - American

Russell Crowe - ???? (American, I think)

Michael Hutchence - DEAD!!!!!

Aye this is a point worth pursuing, I think you're right with Gough Whitlam but I'd be interested in knowing from anyone on the forum with access to the right information how many famous Australians are still Austrailians.

So far as I can make out the following aren't. I haven't seen any of the passports but I'm going on several things, like usual residence, countries in which they own and operate businesses etc.

Kylie Minogue - British

Rolf Harris - British

Rupert Murdoch - American (for definite, he did it for the sake of running his empire from there)

Paul Hogan - American

Mel Gibson - American

You could also throw Jason Donovan into that list too

Kylie Minogue - British

Rolf Harris - British

Paul Hogan - American

Mel Gibson - American

I asked the question in the Steve Irwin thread, is there not dual citizenship in the UK? There was when I lived there.

I'd be surprised if Murdoch were still an Australian citizen, the Americans aren't keen on dual nationality. Mel Gibson is an American citizen to to his being born there and Russel Crowe I'm ashamed to say was born in Auckland (incidentally a cousin of cricketers Jeff and Martin from NZ teams of the eighties and nineties). When he's winning Oscars and the like the Australian media report him as 'Aussie battler Russel Crowe' but when throwing telephones at people it's 'New Zealand born actor...'

I can see how long term residency and taking the benefits of citizenship can be seen as turning one's back on the country of origin but I'd be prepared to put large sums of vegemite against any of those on the above list not giving their nationality as Australian.

Except for those who aren't. :P

Should have had some better props.

Bernard Green a former rugby league player who toured with the Kiwis in 1980.

Dead aged 47 in a coal mine collapse.

By the way, lovely song link in your signature, Tempus.

Matt Gadsby a player for Conference side Hinckley United collapsed and died during a match, he was 27.

Terrible shame. If I'm being nitpicky, it was actually Conference North, but it hardly matters in a case like this. Ex-league player with Walsall, Mansfield & Kidderminster, and I remember him playing against my club at the Madjeski when he was with Walsall and in the play-off final at Cardiff, which Walsall won, in 2001. Was 27 only 3 days ago too.

:rip:

Willi Ninja! :rip:

What a fantastically silly name, he deserves kudos for that alone.

Apparently his real name was Willi Leake, so I think he did well with his name change. :P

Daniel Smith, son of Anna Nicole Smith has died suddenly at the age of 20

Not exactly famous indeed. I had to read that story to vaguely remember Mr Smith's mother's gold digging. Not that there's anything wrong with marriage for money.

regards,

Hein

Not exactly famous indeed. I had to read that story to vaguely remember Mr Smith's mother's gold digging. Not that there's anything wrong with marriage for money.

regards,

Hein

Daniel Smith certainly isn't famous, but who knows, his mother is pregnant again. She's also had a history of depression. She had her own reality show a couple of years ago and was in a terrible state and her weight had really gotten out of control. This could push her over the edge.

I thought at first you meant a different Daniel Smith. One of the world's finest bad bassonists.

It seems however, that one is still alive. Don't miss the sound clips on the recordings page. Enough to drive you to drink.

A couple of years ago I posted a couple of truthful insults in his guestbook, which were promptly deleted. Now it seems to be overwhelmed by spam. What a shame.

(Look out for Blue Monk on his "Bebop Bassoon" album if you're still not sure. There's a sample on Amazon.)

regards,

Hein

Daniel Smith certainly isn't famous, but who knows, his mother is pregnant again. She's also had a history of depression. She had her own reality show a couple of years ago and was in a terrible state and her weight had really gotten out of control. This could push her over the edge.

Not exactly famous, but I had heard of the guy, seen him even a few times on the Anna Nicole Smith Show (yes, TV at its finest). One had to feel for the kid, as he wore a generally mortified expression whenever the camera panned from his drug addled mother's latest antics on to him. Shame he had to be the victim of her bad karma.

BTW, apparently Anna Nicole gave birth to a baby daughter three days ago. But for that I'd have been with Phantom's suggestion that she might make a decent suicide candidate for '07.

regards,

Hein

Not exactly famous, but I had heard of the guy, seen him even a few times on the Anna Nicole Smith Show (yes, TV at its finest). One had to feel for the kid, as he wore a generally mortified expression whenever the camera panned from his drug addled mother's latest antics on to him. Shame he had to be the victim of her bad karma.

BTW, apparently Anna Nicole gave birth to a baby daughter three days ago. But for that I'd have been with Phantom's suggestion that she might make a decent suicide candidate for '07.

I didn't read the full news article so didn't realise she'd given birth. I guess because of the whole thing with 9/11 it was probably mentioned very briefly on the news crawler but no one really cared.

Hilary Mason, erstwhile & veteran British actress has died, aged 89, according to the Times Notices today. Obit Died one day after her birthday.

16054.jpg

Hard to say what she'll be best remembered for. If you're of a certain age, you'll probably remember her, as I do, for her role as the old kooky Gladys in Maid Marian & Her Merry Men in the mid 90's. Also a regular in Love Hurts, One Foot in the Grave, and had a brief role in Corrie. Probably one of those people you recognised, but never really knew who they were.

Either way, imdb page below:-

IMDB

Hilary Mason, erstwhile & veteran British actress has died, aged 89, according to the Times Notices today. Obit

IMDB

I notice she appeared as 'Old Lady' in a episode of The Chuckle Brothers, so in fact her career was dead long before she was.