VSBfromH

Not Exactly Famous...

Charles Smith, lead Guitarist & founder member of Kool and the Gang, dies, aged 57

"#Get down in it..."

Wow! You don't see thát every day. Four deaths on the frontpage of CNN.com. Including the Deathpenalty in the Philippines, not including terrorist attacks and natural disasters.

15gqli8.jpg

Guest iain

sad one to ha\ve to report here.The well known tv journalist Martin Adler has been shot and killed while on an assignment in Somalia

Edited by Magere Hein

12 time Grammy Award winning record producer Arif Mardin,

has died aged 74 from pancreatic cancer.

I would say he's slightly more than 'not exactly famous'. Anyone who knows their Seventies music oats will have heard of Mardin.

12 time Grammy Award winning record producer Arif Mardin,

has died aged 74 from pancreatic cancer.

I would say he's slightly more than 'not exactly famous'. Anyone who knows their Seventies music oats will have heard of Mardin.

Dead right he's famous. And that old favourite of mine, pancreatic cancer. That would have made him a certainty for Death List!!! Why weren't we told ?

Lennie Weinrib

Has died in Chile at the age of 71. Wrote "H.R. Pufnstuf" and provided the main character's voice. Also provided voices on shows such as "The Flintstones" and "Scooby Doo".

This guy from my University has died. Never met him or anything.

I can't help thinking that's a bad miss for you regards DDP, young Windsor. His local fame would've been enough for the local BBC pages, I would've thought.

I vaguely remember when he signed up for university a few years back. :D

I can't help thinking that's a bad miss for you regards DDP, young Windsor. His local fame would've been enough for the local BBC pages, I would've thought.

I vaguely remember when he signed up for university a few years back. :D

It did cross my mind.

He was in the papers for something last year and I thought 'Hmmm, maybe', but didn't think he was famous enough.

He obviously took the phrase "lifelong learning" very literally - fair play to the man!

Willie Denson who co-wrote The Shirelles' hit, "Mama Said" has died aged 69

He obviously took the phrase "lifelong learning" very literally - fair play to the man!

I notice he was studying theology, so he should be well prepared for the hereafter.

Don Lusher trombonist for The Ted Heath Band, has died aged 82

Barnard Hughes, actor of stage, film & TV has died, aged 90. Familiar character actor, especially in recent years, who appeared in a whole host of films, including Midnight Cowboy

Hughes' imdb page.

Barnard Hughes, actor of stage, film & TV has died, aged 90. Familiar character actor, especially in recent years, who appeared in a whole host of films, including Midnight Cowboy

Hughes' imdb page.

Not Exactly Famous? Sacrilige OoO, I'd expect better from you! :rip:

Brilliant actor I thought anyhow.

Not Exactly Famous? Sacrilige OoO, I'd expect better from you! :rip:

I have noted the :skill2: but I personally thought Near Misses, but I thought, "well, I know who he is, but will everyone else?" and decided it came down to what films people might've seen. With the Bewitched actress, I knew that programme was repeated or seen by a wider range of people. BH's films, maybe not depending on taste.

Either way, a shame he's gone. The Halliwell's Film Guide said he was one of THE under-rated actors of all-time, brilliant in a character role but, arguably, wasted there, a la Paul Scofield, another stage giant with slim pickings in film.

Not Exactly Famous? Sacrilige OoO, I'd expect better from you! :P

I have noted the :P but I personally thought Near Misses, but I thought, "well, I know who he is, but will everyone else?" and decided it came down to what films people might've seen. With the Bewitched actress, I knew that programme was repeated or seen by a wider range of people. BH's films, maybe not depending on taste.

Either way, a shame he's gone. The Halliwell's Film Guide said he was one of THE under-rated actors of all-time, brilliant in a character role but, arguably, wasted there, a la Paul Scofield, another stage giant with slim pickings in film.

It's still hazy as to what constitutes as a "near miss"

I think it was mentioned a while ago that the near misses should be those that were discussed as a possibility the previous year, but then didn't make it on to the final list.

Whereas someone could be well known to one person and prompt various replies of "who?" by others

But on the other hand with some, you'd have to be living on a remote dessert island to have not heard of them.

I was at work when Billy Preston's death was announced. "Oh, Billy Preston has died" I exclaimed. A couple of my work colleagues looked at me with blank expressions. "Billy Preston... keyboard player.. played with The Beatles, Stones, etc" their expressions were unchanged. I even brought up a website that had photos of him. Nope. They still didn't have a clue who he was.

And just the other day, I sent a text message to my father-in-law saying simply "Syd Barrett has died at the age of 60". A bit later that day he came over to our house to visit. "I got your text message" he said, "but, who was Syd Barrett?" I couldn't believe he had just asked me that especially after I had given him a couple of copies of Pink Floyd albums the year before and he went out and bought every one of their albums.

I have noted the :P but I personally thought Near Misses, but I thought, "well, I know who he is, but will everyone else?" and decided it came down to what films people might've seen. With the Bewitched actress, I knew that programme was repeated or seen by a wider range of people. BH's films, maybe not depending on taste.

I think it was mentioned a while ago that the near misses should be those that were discussed as a possibility the previous year, but then didn't make it on to the final list.

Whereas someone could be well known to one person and prompt various replies of "who?" by others

But on the other hand with some, you'd have to be living on a remote dessert island to have not heard of them.

I was at work when Billy Preston's death was announced. "Oh, Billy Preston has died" I exclaimed. A couple of my work colleagues looked at me with blank expressions. "Billy Preston... keyboard player.. played with The Beatles, Stones, etc" their expressions were unchanged. I even brought up a website that had photos of him. Nope. They still didn't have a clue who he was.

And just the other day, I sent a text message to my father-in-law saying simply "Syd Barrett has died at the age of 60". A bit later that day he came over to our house to visit. "I got your text message" he said, "but, who was Syd Barrett?" I couldn't believe he had just asked me that especially after I had given him a couple of copies of Pink Floyd albums the year before and he went out and bought every one of their albums.

As with determining whether someone is truly famous or not, definitions of a "near miss" vary from person to person. I'd go along Phantom's recollection. Fair enough too if people want to use this thread to point out names they put on their DDP or other personal death lists but didn't make the DL final 50, although in the spirit of community one's gloating podium is better respected if they've suggested the nominee on the Ideas and Possibilities thread and the Committee in the depths of its ignorance still doesn't select the candidate.

For what it's worth, I remember Barnyard Hughes from the short-lived TV show Mr. Merlin. According to wiki he was in Midnight Cowboy, Oh God, Tron, and Doc Hollywood, so some reasonably well known films there. His death doesn't particularly interest me in the way, oh, I don't know, Pete Doherty's would, and due to the Anglo-centric nature of the DL and the Committee he would very likely not have ever made the List.

As with determining whether someone is truly famous or not, definitions of a "near miss" vary from person to person. I'd go along Phantom's recollection. Fair enough too if people want to use this thread to point out names they put on their DDP or other personal death lists but didn't make the DL final 50, although in the spirit of community one's gloating podium is better respected if they've suggested the nominee on the Ideas and Possibilities thread and the Committee in the depths of its ignorance still doesn't select the candidate.

For what it's worth, I remember Barnyard Hughes from the short-lived TV show Mr. Merlin. According to wiki he was in Midnight Cowboy, Oh God, Tron, and Doc Hollywood, so some reasonably well known films there. His death doesn't particularly interest me in the way, oh, I don't know, Pete Doherty's would, and due to the Anglo-centric nature of the DL and the Committee he would very likely not have ever made the List.

Ronnie,

Well it was just a suggestion, although the problems that would arise are

Unless there's a list of those that were discussed as possiblities for 2006, (ok you could do a search to see where they were discussed) no one would be none the wiser.

Then again you've got some big names that were discussed since the start of the year that have died, or others such a Gene Pitney where no one had a clue that there were any health problems and they just dropped dead. In which case we'd have to create a 3rd thread along the lines of "oh bugger, we could have had that one.. if only we knew"

As with Barnyard Hughes at first I was thinking "who?" then when I got to reading a list of the roles he's played, I was "oh yeah.... him"

I didn't expect such a huge debate especially since, as OoO pointed out, I added an :P to the end of my statement.

Nonetheless, I shall remain defiant and, beginning tomorrow, shall sport a Barnard Hughes avatar in stead of my current one. :P