Guest Chewie

Jane Tomlinson Killer Ride

I guess I'd be reluctant to part with any cash to someone who is terminally ill with cancer and cycling over 4000 miles. most people when they're that ill can barely walk a couple of miles.

I'm sure it's been said before, but if she hasn't got long left she should be spending time with her family, not swanning around on a bike. Unless she doen't like her family & she's using the charity stuff as an excuse to get away from them?

I can see her husband's point but from the public point of view I reckon the problem is the same as Frank Sinatra used to present. There's been at least one too many farewell tours.

I can see her husband's point but from the public point of view I reckon the problem is the same as Frank Sinatra used to present. There's been at least one too many farewell tours.

I'm wondering how many years pass before you aren't terminal anymore?

I'm sure there's discussion further back on this thread about her prognosis and the likely time she has left. We've also considered the impact of excessive exercise on prolonging life. But on present evidence she is sinking slowly.

I'm wondering how many years pass before you aren't terminal anymore?

If we're working on that kind of timeline then we're all suffering from terminal lung failure. ;)

Yep. You can only draw from that particular well so often. Still, I suppose it keeps her off the steets.

keeps her off the steets

Pooka, are you saying before she was famous for biking she was - like - the town bike?

keeps her off the steets

Pooka, are you saying before she was famous for biking she was - like - the town bike?

Certainly not. I am sure that she is most demure. I thought it would be witty to suggest that biking would keep her off the streets.

I knew that's what you meant really Pooka, you had me gannin' for a while there mind.

She's only got a couple of days left (of the bike ride) but she hasn't been at all well.

At five miles all seemed lost and Ryan her co-rider thought it was over. Casualty beckoned for her but she dug deeper than ever and battled out 75 miles in nine hours fifty fours minute. Yes 10 hours in the saddle on a day which began with her barely able to function.

From the diary of her ride. I mean, fair play to the lass it's an achievement, but on the other hand I'm smelling the DVD of the book that was also turned into the life affirming series of articles before the reality tv documentary.....all for charity, of course. Do you think Madonna would want the movie role, it'd appeal to any high profile female celeb hiding an eating disorder behind an apparant addiction to exercise?

Just askin', like.

She's only got a couple of days left (of the bike ride) but she hasn't been at all well.

No, sorry, I still don't buy it.

1) If she is as ill as her husband says, she would give up, fly home & spend the last remaining days with her kids.

2) Look, after say, an hour on an exercise bike, I sometimes have, say a bit of stiffness, or feel a little worse for wear. Anybody who does all this cycling will have trouble walking. Anybody.

3) She had a choice between casualty & stopping. Yet she rode on another 75 miles......! She always seems to make miracle recoveries.

Also, Mr.Tomlinson says:-

"The publicity doesn’t enrich Jane’s life, add value to it or help in any way"

No? She was a nobody before her "terminal" cancer. She sure as hell wouldn't have won the Helen Rollason award at the BBC Sports Personality Awards for starters,

Harsh OoO, very harsh

But fair.

Pure vitriol, OoO. I'll wait to see her outcome before either condemning or applauding you.

Just read on the BBC crawler that she's completed her ride across the US.

Oh well, I'm sure she'll get all the media coverage on her return to the UK, the coverage she didn't want

Here's the article

edited to update with weblink

According to this "we still have to go home and watch Jane die"

Maybe she's not a fraud after all.

This quote is from an interview in The Yorkshire Post, April 2002 [just before she ran the London Marathon].

Strikes me as a slightly weird thing to say.

She looks remarkably healthy, and declares: "It upsets people's sensibilities that you don't look grey and ill and their image of somebody who's dying."

"We still have to go home and watch Jane die."

Honestly, I mean, they have a choice. There's loads on telly, bowling alleys, bingo...you get my drift.

I await OoO's comments on today's developments.

Also, wank wank Tomlinson says:-

"The publicity doesn’t enrich Jane’s life, add value to it or help in any way"

No? She was a nobody before her "terminal" cancer. She sure as hell wouldn't have won the Helen Rollason award at the BBC Sports Personality Awards. She's a publicity whore. You can't tell me she's doing this bike ride for fun..

And besides. From a purely pragmatic point of view, in terms of fundraising all of these shenanigans would come to nought if she and her health weren't publicised up to the eyeballs.

What an absurd thing for Wank Wank to say. :)

Well, she's done well to do it, ill or not ill.

But, lets put its this way.

This bike ride has taken a lot out of her, as it would anyone. If she is terminally ill (and 6 yrs ill too), then her death shouldn't be too long in coming 'cos she hasn't got anything else to aim for & her body is wrecked. Therefore she should die within 6 months.

I bet she won't.

Seriously - I'll make a bet on here, similiar to Millwall's Heath bet, that Jane Tomlinson will still be alive in 6 months from now (1 March 2007 - my birthday as it happens - how apt).

If she does, I will happily eat humble pie and hang my head in shame.

Well, she's done well to do it, ill or not ill.

But, lets put its this way.

This bike ride has taken a lot out of her, as it would anyone. If she is terminally ill (and 6 yrs ill too), then her death shouldn't be too long in coming 'cos she hasn't got anything else to aim for & her body is wrecked. Therefore she should die within 6 months.

I bet she won't.

Seriously - I'll make a bet on here, similiar to Millwall's Heath bet, that Jane Tomlinson will still be alive in 6 months from now (1 March 2007 - my birthday as it happens - how apt).

If she is, I win nothing but my belief she is a fake is reaffirmed.

If she does, well I won't do an Iain & leave, but I will happily eat humble pie and hang my head in shame.

ie+, bless you for calling Mike Wank Wank. :)

How about if you lose then Jane Tomlinson becomes your avatar for 3 months.

How about if you lose then Jane Tomlinson becomes your avatar for 3 months.

Deal.

And I'll use the most sickly sweet one I can find too. :)