Guest Chewie

Jane Tomlinson Killer Ride

She's not running the London Marathon though, she's running this one, lots more fresh air and nicer scenery.

I don't know if that helps. Anyway, I tried to find an English language news source for the dead German runner, and I failed. Dutch sources taught me that he died a few hundred yards from the finish. Let's hope he enjoyed the run.

regards,

Hein

During the Great North Run last year, I believe there were no less than four fatalities, which is quite impressive for only a half marathon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4257630.stm

I just Googled London marathon fatalities and numbers reported (since the marathon started) vary from 5 to 8. Just goes to show that sport can be bad for your health. I will watch it from the safety of my settee.

The ridiculous costumes can't help much - trying to run 26 miles dressed as a chicken could cause one to overheat.

I will watch it from the safety of my settee.

Statistically speaking; you're more likely to die at home than anywhere else. Maybe, watch it on someone else's settee eh?

By the way, is Hilary Lister doing the London Marathon, just askin', like.

This is a type of celebrity like an egg-timer. She has to die, and soon, or she is exposed as a fraud. So either she dies (which is bad for her) or she lives (which is bad for her). Which is it going to be ...

Or maybe she sold her soul to the devil .. like that guitar player

Wasn't it Mark Knopfler?

Wasn't it Mark Knopfler?

Mark Knopfler tried to sell his soul to the devil, but it was considered too bland and sort of beige coloured. So he sold his songwriting talent instead, and no one noticed the difference...

I will concede he plays guitar very well though... :D

This is a type of celebrity like an egg-timer. She has to die, and soon, or she is exposed as a fraud. So either she dies (which is bad for her) or she lives (which is bad for her). Which is it going to be ...
Regarding Jane Tomlinson, is it not possible she's had a mis-prognosis? I hope that's the right word, I mean could they have diagnosed the right condition, but assessed the severity incorrectly?

Also, I'm aware that people can react very differently to Cancer. Completely unsubstantiated, but I remember hearing once about someone who died who'd always been a bit of a 'fighter', and when they were examining the body, they found signs of a fairly aggressive type of cancer in remission that he'd never been diagnosed for but successfully fought.

So, there's a possibly a third way for Jane, and one that can lead to long life without fraud claims. :D

Wasn't it Mark Knopfler?

Could well be, but I think you mean Robert Johnson.

regards,

Hein

We've got to face facts here: exercise boosts the immune system allowing you to fight anything from a cold to cancer.

Frankly I am mystified as to why a major sponsor didn't contact me directly regarding the idea of the 'Playing for their lives' football league made up of terminal teams. Even a one off Bowel Cancer Rovers vs Leukemia Athletic would be a reality tv winner.

Maybe we need to educate the public a little first. Suppose we sacked a load of ancilary NHS staff, which is coming with the cuts anyway, and left the leg work in hospitals to those attending oncology. If the average patient clocked up -say- forty sweaty miles a week down long corridors we'd soon see a turn round in their conditions. Once they'd all developed a kind of cameraderie in this they'd race trollies and try and top each other's speed records from one end of the building to the other, boosting their self esteem as they did so.

You know it makes sense.

We didn't beat Hitler by running off to court every five minutes and demanding the latest drugs, oh no.

We've got to face facts here: exercise boosts the immune system allowing you to fight anything from a cold to cancer.

Frankly I am mystified as to why a major sponsor didn't contact me directly regarding the idea of the 'Playing for their lives' football league made up of terminal teams. Even a one off Bowel Cancer Rovers vs Leukemia Athletic would be a reality tv winner.

Maybe we need to educate the public a little first. Suppose we sacked a load of ancilary NHS staff, which is coming with the cuts anyway, and left the leg work in hospitals to those attending oncology. If the average patient clocked up -say- forty sweaty miles a week down long corridors we'd soon see a turn round in their conditions. Once they'd all developed a kind of cameraderie in this they'd race trollies and try and top each other's speed records from one end of the building to the other, boosting their self esteem as they did so.

You know it makes sense.

We didn't beat Hitler by running off to court every five minutes and demanding the latest drugs, oh no.

:D:P:D You crack me up maryportfuncity! Although extremely funny, you also make some very good, reasoned points. I agree with you totally!

Great, there's two of us. Just the rest of the world to convince then.

Great, there's two of us. Just the rest of the world to convince then.

Hey, count me in too. One more then we'll have a gang of four, the official (as in unofficial) minimum to start a lame political party in the UK.

Back on topic, Jane is going to cycle aross America.

Back on topic, Jane is going to cycle from Rome to Leeds

Edit: ooops wrong link. Anyway she's just about to do some-or-other long run or bike ride.

Yep, LD, I was going to point out she'd already done that.

This one is across America

She was on BBC Breakfast News this morning looking the very picture of health, and looked like she had gained some weight...

The ride is due to end on 31 August - the sixth anniversary of the day doctors first told her she had just six months to live.

Puts it into perspective mind, if every terminal cancer case got stuck into exercise on this scale most would live longer and those of us compiling derby dead pools would probably be in more danger health wise through serious stress and frustration.

Hello deathlisters, I stumbled across this place whilst searching for information on Jane Tomlinson and this thread caused many chuckles. I didn't think to make a note of the best contributions so consider yourselves all recipients of my appreciation.

PS Never before have I registered at a MB simply to say thanks.

Seems totally unfair to see the drive-by supporter of our activities labelled a 'pointless ranter.' Cheers for your comments, we lovingly tend this thread against the times your like drop by.

If this woman continues at this rate we'll need a new government health warning: cancer is good for you. Seems to me she's doing a lot of living rather than dying.

And it looks like a good way to battle the obesity epidemic.

Don't get me wrong, like everying else I'm hoping and praying for a cure for cancer, but just what the hell is going on with Jane Tomlinson? She'll be at deaths door one minute, run round the world, be back at deaths door again, cycle the globe then make a quick return to deaths door before hopping up Mount Everest while holding her breath or something as equally strenuous.

What are we to duduce from this, that she is a special one in a billion case of cancer actually making a person fitter rather than finishing them off? That all other cancer patients are nothing but lazy assed attention seekers who deliberately laze about trying to tempt death into taking them? Or is it Tomlinson who is in fact the attention seeker, and that the only cancer she has is cancer of the imagination?

all other cancer patients are nothing but lazy assed attention seekers who deliberately laze about trying to tempt death into taking them

Harsh.....but - arguably - fair. My thoughts on the lazy sods getting themselves involved in competitive and televised sport to raise money for research are already trailed over this thread.

caption_competition_001.jpg

Jane, pre-cancer, allegedly.

Where the hell did you get that photo of me? I was on a diet at the time, I've ballooned out a bit since then!!

Jane is about to cycle from San Francisco to New York so no sign of her popping her clogs just yet.

The current trip will be completed around six years after doctors first told her she had just six months left to live.

How many of them doctors are still alive?

The current trip will be completed around six years after doctors first told her she had just six months left to live.

How many of them doctors are still alive?

Who cares. They are not famous. The only famous docter I ever knew was Dick Van Dyke. He starred in some medical series but I can't remember the name. Speaking of Duck Van Dyke... I'm sure he must be living on borrowed time?

Edited by Banshees Scream

Even people in Rothwell don't wear that colour. And as for that peggy purse... :D

Terminal cancer is always a tricky one. It can mean weeks to live, it can mean - in the case of my auntie for one - seven or so years before she popped her clogs (or running shoes in Jane's case). A better way of putting it would be 'inoperable' cancer, thus terminal but something else might get them beforehand.