Lady Die

Harold Pinter

I am given to believe that Pinter was rushed to hospital last Friday and is currently in intensive care. No quotable sources, I'm afraid, but I understand that his wife, Lady Antonia Fraser, has cleared her diary of engagements to be with him.

So they're sitting around with not much happening making enigmatic utterances to each other.

Kinda fitting, dontcha think?

I'm preparing the tagline for my signature in anticipation.... ;)

If he is in intensive care, his family are keeping very quiet about it. I've searched and searched, but can't find any report on it.

I've searched and searched his plays, can't find a f****n' good joke anywhere!

Well, if he was in ICU, he isn't any more. Pinter interview with the BBC

Pinter himself has not enjoyed the best of health of late and says he doesn't expect to be writing anything new immediately.

Picture doesn't look all that great either. Since I'm so obstinate and bitter, that's probably enough justification to give him the cozy 20th spot on my DDP. Even if no other candidates on the DL die this year, I'm sure there's 15 healthier names to be removed than Pinter.

Harold Pinter has written an ode to his wife, Lady Antonia Fraser. He doesn't seem overly optimistic about his own future:

Poem (To A)

I shall miss you so much when I'm dead,

The loveliest of smiles,

The softness of your body in our bed.

My everlasting bride,

Remember that when I am dead,

You are forever alive in my heart and my head.

I recently read in a blog that Harold Pinter didn't show up at Cambridge University to accept an honorary degree due to ill health. Anyone out there have any more detailed information?

I recently read in a blog that Harold Pinter didn't show up at Cambridge University to accept an honorary degree due to ill health. Anyone out there have any more detailed information?

Link

There was a slight note of disappointment about Friday, as Lady Antonia Fraser had to cancel her talk due to the health of her husband Harold Pinter.

and also this one

Sadly, Harold Pinter, a Nobel Laureate, best known for plays such as The Birthday Party, The Caretaker, The Homecoming and Betrayal, was unable to collect his degree due to ill health.

Thanks Phantom. If anyone has any idea as to what exactly is ailing harold, I'd be interested.

Thanks Phantom. If anyone has any idea as to what exactly is ailing harold, I'd be interested.

Not a problem, deadsox.

That's all the info I could find at that time in the morning. I just grabbed a couple of quotes from publications that seemed the most reliable.

Trouble is it could be anything from a cold to something much more serious. Although I'm not sure a cold would keep Pinter away.

Lady Antonia Fraser was the guest on Desert Island Discs this morning. She spoke briefly about her husband's health and said he has suffered from cancer, an auto immune disorder and "something else". When Kirsty Young (she's not half as good as Sue Lawley, btw) asked her about her if Harold was now well, Lady Fraser replied that she was keeping her fingers crossed and she "hoped so". Didn't sound too convincing to me. :lol: .

Guest Tweebel

He's gone.

Guest Guest

Harold Pinter died Christmas Eve.

Here's a...

... (glares meaningfully into middle distance)

... (brushes imaginary speck of dust from sleeve)

... link. :)

14th of the year, ties the record.

Guest Guest
Gone.

Already has a thread, dummy.

Moved to the correct thread - Teddy

Gone.

Already has a thread, dummy.

Moved to the correct thread - Teddy

Sorry, smartarse,new to site,didn't see it.

Guest Taras
So Pinter's been awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature. A sure sign that he's going to croak it methinks...

He has just stated on Radio 4 his intention to make a speech in December at the award ceremony.

He's on my list for 2006.

BBC is saying hes died

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/homepage/d/int/brb.../uk/7799708.stm

I think 14 is a record?

The 14th death from our list this year equals DL's all time record of 14 in 2003

Guest BuW1Ll

Congrats!!

For those Pete and Dud (Derek and Clive) fans out there a sketch that references Pinter (and is how I remember the old boy)

Derek and Clive

(thanks to HMBaWA)