Guest KateS

Margaret Thatcher

There is also a view that she destroyed the Conservative party as well and rendered it unelectable for years because of her obsession with Europe - read Maggie - Her Fatal Legacy by John Sergeant.

So I suppose we do have something to be thankful to her for!

Didn't stop them eventually regaining power tho :(

She promoted the notion basically that the only thing important about a business was that it turned a profit, never mind whether the product was decent or not

It's mathematically impossible for everyone to return a profit.

Similar ignorance of basic mathematics probably lead to the current economic crisis too.

There is also a view that she destroyed the Conservative party as well and rendered it unelectable for years because of her obsession with Europe - read Maggie - Her Fatal Legacy by John Sergeant.

So I suppose we do have something to be thankful to her for!

Didn't stop them eventually regaining power tho :(

As part of a coalition. David Cameron was not an outright winner of the 2010 election.

Considering how the media were going for Gordon Brown at the time there was still something in the British psyche that whispered "Remember".

• Like 1

David Cameron was not an outright winner of the 2010 election.

At the risk of being labelled a pedant, David Cameron was an outright winner of the 2010 election; he took 58.8% of the vote.

The Conservative Party is another thing entirely.

At the risk of being labelled a pedant, David Cameron was an outright winner of the 2010 election; he took 58.8% of the vote.

Time you are a pedant.

But that statistic throws up another question. Over 40% of the inhabitants of Witney don't think David Cameron is the best person to be thier MP. Surely he should be getting over 70% in a part of the country where children are born sporting blue rosettes.

Good to reminisce...isn't it guys???

It would be better if it was in rememberance!

Only a matter of time...

Time you are a pedant.

But that statistic throws up another question. Over 40% of the inhabitants of Witney don't think David Cameron is the best person to be thier MP. Surely he should be getting over 70% in a part of the country where children are born sporting blue rosettes.

Actually over 60% of the electorate didn't vote for him (the 58.8% is of the 73.3% turnout) but thats our elctoral system for you. What proportion of the votes you (or anybody else) think he should be getting is entirely irrelevant.

Anyway, to get the thread back on topic - privatisation & council housing.

Time you are a pedant.

p.s. Thats 'time' with a small 't'. ;-)

• Like 1

Maybe the best way to answer that is to reverse this question somewhat. Which leader of Estonia was a right bastard? In your opinion...

Well, actually I don't see being right-wing supporter as a crime. I believe that country with lower taxes and higher entrepreneurial freedom is a key to higher happiness among the country. I don't think that country with high taxes and high social payments works in long term. We, Europeans, should know that that kind of politics will lead us to crisis. Greece, Spain and other Mediterranean countries have shown that sooner or later living over your abilities will bring you crisis.

In Estonia we have been under a right-wing covernment about 10 years now. If you read the news then you can see, that having this kind of politics will keep us in a very good financial status. Ofcourse Estonians aren't the richest people in the world, but at least our country is stable. If all EU countries would have followed the rules, then I think EU wouldn't be in such a crisis now. People don't understand that there is now shortcut to wealth. Everything must come thorugh hard work and time.

Continuous borrowing leads to crisis!

(If you want to educate yourself about Estonian economics then this would be a good article to start: http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-16338542)

What is your view of her, from an overseas perspective?

In Estonia people don't know much about UK-s politics but as far as I know, Maggie is one of the few who almost everyone knows. I believe that when Thatcher dies then Estonians will see it as a big and sad death, because "she has done so much" and "she is so famous for some reasons". I think Estonians think in general that Thatcher led UK to bigger wealth and happiness.

I'm sorry for my bad English.

• Like 1

No need to apologise for your English. It's much better than most peoples Estonian on this forum.

• Like 1

No need to apologise for your English. It's much better than most peoples Estonian on this forum.

Minu eesti keel on väga hea tänan teid väga

I don't think that country with high taxes and high social payments works in long term

It works for Sweden. Perhaps low taxes and free entrepreneurship might work in a modestly sized country like Estonia. But Britain generates (or should generate) more wealth, it's just that it isn't distributed fairly. That, coupled with the complete wrecking of industry and the impact it had on communities is the Thatcher legacy that is so much the cause of debate.

You're right that there shouldn't be a shortcut to prosperity. But there's an argument that Thatcher's loosening of financial regulations led to such short-term thinking and thus put us on the road that eventually led us to our current difficulties, although what Greece got up to was their own affair.

It's a truism that Thatcher, rather like Blair, is more popular the further away from Britain. I take it you probably like Blair too?

Eesti

Your comments imply that thatcher’s policies lead to lower social payments and a lower national burden, to the individuals receiving them this was true, she created real hardship and suffering, however she presided over a policy that lead to an incredibly high social welfare cost to the country, this was the inevitable result of her ruining manufacturing and putting an extra 2 million on social security. If you look at the graph of the rise in unemployment against north sea oil revenue (I drew it out in the early '90s yes I am sad with a mate who was then working at the treasury) you see that basically every penny of our north sea oil money went on keeping the work force idle and out of work, you clearly do not understand what this woman did in her vendetta against the unions in the UK.

Best regards

Mike

PS I am proud now, it two threads it has bean implies I am a Christian fundamentalist fascist and a left wing apologist way to go and I still can't spell or use grammar

PS I am proud now, it two threads it has bean implies I am a Christian fundamentalist fascist and a left wing apologist way to go and I still can't spell or use grammar

The inability to spell or use grammar is quite normal in Christian fundamentalist fascists and left wing apologists, so there's no reason for shame. If you are ashamed, though, you can always blame Thatcher.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Still not dead

When I first saw this picture I wondered why Chris Patten was holding her up?

I had no idea that Mark Thatcher had been knighted.

Still not dead

He has this title as the 2nd Baronet because his parents were given hereditary peerages. He has been Sir Mark since Dennis died.

Still not dead

He has this title as the 2nd Baronet because his parents were given hereditary peerages. He has been Sir Mark since Dennis died.

Think I'd prefer to address him as fuckface

• Like 1

As long as her life is a real fuckin struggle Im hope she lives. I hope you are suffering you old bint !!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

She's done away with the hair dye. She looks really old...

Still not dead

After the party:

cardboardmt.jpg

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

61435_245564038902948_1424090089_n.jpg
  • Like 1