maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

K-Pop singer Ahn 'Sojin' took a leap of faith in the music industry, and lost.
SC

Frankie Rodriguez, keyboardist for Question Mark and The Mysterians is currently recovering in hospital after undergoing open heart surgery. He's expected to make a full recovery - well as near as full as you can after heart surgery.

Just heard that Frankie Rodriguez is back home and seems to be making a good recovery. There isn't a link, source of the information was from bandmate Robert Balderama during a chat we were having on Facebook, he said.

"Frank is doing great , he drove over yesterday, I didn't know if he could but he said the doctor told he needed to start walking and get out of his place"

Charmayne Maxwell, of mid-90s R&B stragglers Brownstone (top 10 single in 1994 in both the UK and US with "If You Love Me"), dead from a probable suicide.

Mrs Brownstone no longer dancing

Spade Cooley you got me all excited cuz sometimes a rare song or artist is totally forgotten over time and their passing reminds me of them. I played in bands, DJd some, and worked at music stores over the years, not to mention clubbing in general since 1980, so here I am thinking 'huh, Brownstone, and a Top 10 song?' I listened to this a Capella thing, and have never ever ever ever heard it nor can I imagine what chart it earned a top 10 ranking. Slightly different lyrics I'd think it Christian music in style.

Anyways, Ms. Maxwell was as disappointing in death as she was in life, from my perspective.

SC

Guest Guest

Charmayne Maxwell, of mid-90s R&B stragglers Brownstone (top 10 single in 1994 in both the UK and US with "If You Love Me"), dead from a probable suicide.

Mrs Brownstone no longer dancing

I am saddened by this news.She was one of my first girlfriends :(

Guest Guest

When I say she was one of my girlfriends I should point out that I never actually met her or anything. Just a schoolboy crush..

Damn, cause I thought for a minute I'd been on the same forum as a guest who went out with somebody so famous I'd nearly heard of them. I'm crushed now.

• Like 5

German co-initiator of the Techno movement in the early 90s William Röttger is dead at 66:

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/william-roettger-tot-ziehvater-von-westbam-mayday-gruender-a-1021414.html(german link)

He founded the label "low spirit" and was responsible for pushing artists like Westbam, Marusha and Mark 'Oh. He also organized the Mayday techno festival and participated in the creation of the Love Parade. I'm surprised not to find an english obituary so far, because the anglo-american music press usually likes german electronic music (even somewhat more than the average german...).

Here's an old Guardian article of someone visiting the Mayday in 2001:

http://www.theguardian.com/friday_review/story/0,3605,482416,00.html

When I say she was one of my girlfriends I should point out that I never actually met her or anything. Just a schoolboy crush..

Damn, cause I thought for a minute I'd been on the same forum as a guest who went out with somebody so famous I'd nearly heard of them. I'm crushed now.

Oh, so does that mean I can't list Hayley Mills, Suzi Quatro and Debbie Harry as my ex-girlfriends?

I'll never forget the words Suzi said to me on the phone the last time I spoke to her.

Which was "Who are you"? and "How did you get my number"?

• Like 3

Henry McCullough, who played with loads of bands - highest profile probs with Paul McCartney and Wings - continues to be very unwell and living on his state pension and little else. A worthy cause, frankly, and there's a star-studded benefit gig 17th March at the Half Moon in Putney.

• Like 2

Henry McCullough, who played with loads of bands - highest profile probs with Paul McCartney and Wings - continues to be very unwell and living on his state pension and little else. A worthy cause, frankly, and there's a star-studded benefit gig 17th March at the Half Moon in Putney.

Oh, he's the guy who was really drunk at the time!

Well yeah, the £40 a ticket for the benefit gig and his famous mates are there to help him but it may well be the case that Henry's love of a decent party contributed to the near-fatal heart attack that laid him low in the first place.

Well yeah, the £40 a ticket for the benefit gig and his famous mates are there to help him but it may well be the case that Henry's love of a decent party contributed to the near-fatal heart attack that laid him low in the first place.

Unless they've increased the size of the backroom at the Half Moon, you can usually only fit about 200 people in there.

You'll notice he is on my Cancel My Appointments team! He was actually my 20th selection, as I took it upon Joe Cocker's late 2014 passing that his guitar player would come join him in a synchronistic effort.

At least that was my basis.

Sir C

Shania Twain announces her 'final' tour ??????????

Bollocks, what's she going to do for the next few decades?

If she were a band, it'd be the reunion tour in a few years time!

If she were a band, it'd be the reunion tour in a few years time!

She'll come out of retirement after a few years, or she'll just release albums and not tour to promote them.

This retirement only to re-invent oneself later for increased publicity don't impress me much.

• Like 1

This retirement only to re-invent oneself later for increased publicity don't impress me much.

So you're not impressed with the numerous farewell tours that KISS have embarked on over the years?

No, but check closely, my English may not be journalistic standard but I probably wouldn't use the word don't where it should be doesn't without a reason ;)

No, but check closely, my English may not be journalistic standard but I probably wouldn't use the word don't where it should be doesn't without a reason ;)

She's a bit of a one hit wonder, this side of the pond.