maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

No, but check closely, my English may not be journalistic standard but I probably wouldn't use the word don't where it should be doesn't without a reason ;)

I knew how you meant, the constant reunion and/or farewell tours. Then a new album comes out and it's nowhere near as good as the ones that made them successful in the first place because their main songwriter has been following his passion for playing Bluegrass as opposed to rock for the past n-years. Or they try to recreate the sound and it just seems forced.

Well, lets put it this way, neither Kiss nor Shania are really my thing so I don't much care what they get up to. I just smashed her UK one hit wonder into a somewhat relevant sentence and pushed it out there. That said, the sentence does also reflect my somewhat suspicious and cynical outlook and you've summed that up nicely.

Well, lets put it this way, neither Kiss nor Shania are really my thing so I don't much care what they get up to. I just smashed her UK one hit wonder into a somewhat relevant sentence and pushed it out there. That said, the sentence does also reflect my somewhat suspicious and cynical outlook and you've summed that up nicely.

I'm still feeling somewhat jaded after getting all excited after seeing Bauhaus when they reunited after 15 years, they then spent the next 8 years working on a new album which was mediocre at best and them promptly split up again. Although I doubt they'll get back together again as no-one gets along with Peter Murphy these days.

I'm still feeling somewhat jaded after getting all excited after seeing Bauhaus when they reunited after 15 years, they then spent the next 8 years working on a new album which was mediocre at best and them promptly split up again. Although I doubt they'll get back together again as no-one gets along with Peter Murphy these days.

What is it with creative types? Musicians especially. Buggers are always falling out with each other. Must be the way the synapses are linked together, along with the talent goes a propensity for being a prima donna or an arsehole or both.

What is it with creative types? Musicians especially. Buggers are always falling out with each other. Must be the way the synapses are linked together, along with the talent goes a propensity for being a prima donna or an arsehole or both.

I think it's for the same reason why there's only one captain on a ship.

They had a falling out in '83, so Murphy went solo and the rest of the band worked together with Love & Rockets and Tones on Tail, as well as guesting on each other's solo albums. Murphy pretty much kept himself to himself.

Either that or it's when the band's frontman dies, the rest of the band works on solo projects for about 20 years and then they decided to get back together but put someone else in the lead vocalist slot who doesn't even compare with the original lead vocalist. Queen is a prefect example. They should have done what Joy Division did after Ian Curtis killed himself was reinvent themselves as a different band. Perhaps they said to each other, "ok the mopey one has gone, let's do what we wanted to do all this time"

They kept reinventing after Curtis because of the shame of him voting Maggie in .....

Well I got it. Run out of Likes for the day.

• Like 1

Well, lets put it this way, neither Kiss nor Shania are really my thing so I don't much care what they get up to. I just smashed her UK one hit wonder............

Beyond her navel 10 years ago she does nothing for me, but am I reading that claim correctly--that in the UK Shania Twain was a '1-HIT wonder'?

SC

Ok, not quite a 1-hit wonder in the accepted sense of absolutely nothing else. A couple of her other singles made a few ripples but nothing of the order of "That don't impress me much" which went platinum, after that, she didn't much impress us either.

Ok, not quite a 1-hit wonder in the accepted sense of absolutely nothing else. A couple of her other singles made a few ripples but nothing of the order of "That don't impress me much" which went platinum, after that, she didn't much impress us either.

Sorry, but 14 Top 30 hits does not make Shania Twain a one hit wonder in any sense of the expression.

Only one I can recall or most folks that I know of.

And I checked, it's interesting, wiki describes a few as making some mark on the charts indeed, but, only that one went platinum, and the next best only made silver, rest nowhere. It may be a peculiarity of the way the charts worked that some songs made it higher on less sales that week or something.

I'm not into arguing, its a waste of time, so you call it as you see it and I'll do the same. Will it enter any book as a one hit wonder? Probably not, but she isn't ever going to be a multi hit artist in the UK to me, or plenty of others.

• Like 1

Only one I can recall or most folks that I know of.

And I checked, it's interesting, wiki describes a few as making some mark on the charts indeed, but, only that one went platinum, and the next best only made silver, rest nowhere. It may be a peculiarity of the way the charts worked that some songs made it higher on less sales that week or something.

I'm not into arguing, its a waste of time, so you call it as you see it and I'll do the same. Will it enter any book as a one hit wonder? Probably not, but she isn't ever going to be a multi hit artist in the UK to me, or plenty of others.

That Don't impress Me Much made number 3 on the UK singles chart; so did her next single Man! I feel Like a Woman in a run of seven top-ten hits - source, The Virgin Book of British Hit Singles.. (Having said that, the two titles I've quoted are the only two that ring any bells with me).

Three Dog Night keyboardist Jimmy Greenspoon, dead at 67.

Steve Strange funeral held in South Wales

The BBC report contains some good celebrity watching: if that is Boy George at the front he looks far healthier than he should.

However it also contains a photograph of the printed guest list. I hope when it comes to 2016 noone uses that as their blueprint for a DDP team.

Steve Strange funeral held in South Wales

The BBC report contains some good celebrity watching: if that is Boy George at the front he looks far healthier than he should.

However it also contains a photograph of the printed guest list. I hope when it comes to 2016 noone uses that as their blueprint for a DDP team.

More pics here, but that's not Andy Bell as per caption, it's Tommy Mack.

• Like 1

Should have tried to cure what's deep inside, instead of being frightened of that thing that he'd become.

• Like 2

For those who don't read Spanglish.

Also,

Jimmy Greenspoon, keyboardist of Three dog night dies at 67. Mr. Green pants in this video.

Jimmy Greenspoon's death was mentioned 3 days ago

• Like 1

Question about this thread:

With 'pop stars', do you mean only musicians who made pop music or does any kind of musician qualify?

Question about this thread:

With 'pop stars', do you mean only musicians who made pop music or does any kind of musician qualify?

I think you'll need to define "pop music".

back towards the turn of the century up until the 50s Jazz was perhaps what you could call pop music, then for the next 10 years it was rock'n'roll, late 60s was psychechedlic/progressive rock also Folk, early 70s Progressive Rock and Glam Rock, so on and so forth.