maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Nothing confirmed, but some outlets reporting Romeo Santos is in serious condition after suffering a cardiac arrest.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, drol said:

Nothing confirmed, but some outlets reporting Romeo Santos is in serious condition after suffering a cardiac arrest.

Bullshit, of course.

Brian Bethell, bass player with Nine Below Zero, reportedly dead: 

No hit singles but their album Third Degree made #38 in the UK chart in March 1982.

They played their choon 11 + 11 on the very first episode of The Young Ones, thus being the first musical guests on the show:

• Like 1

Michael Ward, a former guitarist for the Wallflowers, has died. He was 57. Ward was nominated for five Grammys throughout his career, winning in 1998 for best rock performance by a duo/group with vocal for The Wallflowers' hit "One Headlight". He was with the band between 1995 and 2001.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13274859/The-Wallflowers-former-guitarist-Michael-Ward-dies-age-57.html

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 12/03/2024 at 06:27, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Love the Raspberries, less keen on his solo stuff, but a talented guy indeed. 

And no, I've never seen Love Actually, obviously. It seems odd to me that he's being reported as 'guy who did those songs that sound like St Elmo's Fire from those romcoms"' when to me he's mainly  'singer/songwriter of the Raspberries', but then again I was surprised when Coltrane/Rickman/Gambon were billed as 'Harry Potter actor'. 

Edit: the other three from the classic line-up - Wally Bryson, Jim Bonfanti and Dave Smalley - all appear to be still on the vine (er, bush?) in their mid-70s (appropriately enough). 

I missed Eric’s tragic passing on holiday and I’m absolutely gutted. His solo albums include many songs in the Raspberries’ style as well as ballads.

Thankfully, the classic line-up reunited for some great gigs around 2005-7. I’d have paid a lot of money on flights and hotel to seen them live.

RIP Eric :(

Clarence "Frogman" Henry dead at 87.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 2

20 minutes ago, drol said:

One of my deadpooling mascots in recent years. 50s New Orleans R&B was a treasure trove for WTF they didn't die in 1995 picks not too long ago, like Lloyd Price and Huey Piano Smith. But now they're all dead.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, drol said:

The first major music act I saw live. Unfortuantely he was supporting the terribly unfunny Cannon & Ball in Scarborough.

Is there an explanation somewhere of how a Chess Records mainstay of the 50s ended up doing the scampi-and-chips seaside circuit in the UK 30 years later? Was it just a "people in the UK gave more of a shit and he had bills to pay" deal?

He croaked 

1 hour ago, drol said:

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

One of my deadpooling mascots in recent years. 50s New Orleans R&B was a treasure trove for WTF they didn't die in 1995 picks not too long ago, like Lloyd Price and Huey Piano Smith. But now they're all dead.

It's like something has passed in front of the sun and plunged us all into darkness.

No, wait, that's in about an hour...

1 hour ago, drol said:

Honestly surprised this hasn’t gotten national news coverage, especially since his songs have been all throughout Hollywood movies.

12 minutes ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Honestly surprised this hasn’t gotten national news coverage, especially since his songs have been all throughout Hollywood movies.

Dude, it’s been little over an hour. Patience.

7 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Is there an explanation somewhere of how a Chess Records mainstay of the 50s ended up doing the scampi-and-chips seaside circuit in the UK 30 years later? Was it just a "people in the UK gave more of a shit and he had bills to pay" deal?

Bit like the time I saw Edwin Starr performing on a Channel ferry.

7 hours ago, JQW said:

According to the link below, he recorded an album in Manchester for the Silvertown label jn late 1982, and this 9-week season with Cannon & Ball in 1983 was supposedly to promote this album.

https://comedykings.co.uk/index.php/summer-1983-scarborough/

As for why Scarborough, I presume it had something to do with Charles White, aka Dr Rock, a Scarborough resident who also penned the official biographies of both Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. He's still alive I think.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 09:00, Bibliogryphon said:

Neville Staple from The Specials has cancelled all live shows on medical advice following diagnosis of a serious heart defect

image.png.22998f3809e69875ffc86c8569b44f77.png

Neville Staple celebrated his 69th birthday yesterday with a "backyard jam": 

He's clinging on for dear life to that chair. But fortunately he's alive and singing, nothing ever change, woooahh woah.

• Like 2

Graeme Naysmith, guitarist and founding member of Pale Saints, reportedly dead: 

Couple of charting albums and had a taste - just a smidge - of single chart success in July 1991 reaching #72 on the UK chart with Kinky Love:

• Like 1

On 13/06/2014 at 06:48, The Dead Cow said:

Jim Keays, lead vocalist of The Masters Apprentices, has died

http://www.theguardi...ons-from-cancer

Bassist/founding member Gavin Webb ditto.

https://7news.com.au/entertainment/music/masters-apprentices-founding-member-and-bass-player-gavin-webb-dead-at-77-c-14346515.amp

Some called them the ‘Aussie Stones’, apparently. They had a good track on the second Nuggets box set, and they have a ridiculously mahoosive Wikipedia page. And that’s all I have to divulge on the matter.