Godot

Cartoonists And Animators

What a pity he missed the party.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2022 at 13:02, Sideik said:

Italian cartoonist Sergio Staino (82) hospitalised  in stable but serious conditions after a sudden illness. He is also affected by a degeneration of the retina that made him almost blind.

Sergio Staino dead at 83.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 20/07/2019 at 00:33, Sir Creep said:

The man suspected of setting ablaze a beloved Japanese animation studio, killing 33 people, was raging about theft and witnesses and media reported he had a grudge against the company, as questions arose why such mass killings keep happening in the country.

Police only have said the suspect Shinji Aoba, 41, who is hospitalized with severe burns and unable to talk, is from near Tokyo and did not work for the studio, Kyoto Animation.   Aoba spent 3 ½ years in prison for robbing a convenience store in 2012 and lived on government support.

The man told police that he set the fire because he thought "(Kyoto Animation) stole novels," according to Japanese media. It was unclear if he had contacted the studio earlier.
SC

Shinji Aoba sentenced to death.

• Like 3

On 25/01/2024 at 18:50, alt obits guy said:

Phil Bissell, a cartoonist and the designer of the original New England Patriots logo, has died. Bissell designed Pat Patriot, established as the logo on April 19, 1960, ahead of the team's inaugural season.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/designer-of-patriots-iconic-logo-dies-team-announces/3259016/

Back when they had a good logo.  The Brady Years logo has always looked like Elvis wearing a windsock.

IMG_9116.png

• Haha 1

José Delbo, Argentine born cartoonist and comic book artist who worked on Wonder Woman for DC and The Transformers for Marvel, has died aged 90.

• Like 1

Italian comic book writer Alfredo Castelli dead aged 76. Known for the Martin Mystère comic book series.

• Like 1

Enrique Badía Romero (wiki), one of the authors of Modesty Blaise, reportedly dead at 93.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, drol said:

Enrique Badía Romero (wiki), one of the authors of Modesty Blaise, reportedly dead at 93.

Reported where?

13 minutes ago, time said:

Reported where?

Reported on the Spanish version of Wikipedia.

We've been here before and you were wrong IIRC.

3 minutes ago, drol said:

Reported on the Spanish version of Wikipedia.

We've been here before and you were wrong IIRC.

If I click on the link you give, the English language version of Wikipedia opens, which shows no indication of him even being dead. If I type in the url for the Spanish version and access his page, I concede that his date of death is shown. Our two experiences are therefore different (maybe neither of us are wrong). 

Here's a link to his website which records his death.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2021 at 13:10, arghton said:

Alfie Atkins is the English name for the character. It's about a boy who lives with his dad in a suburb.

She wrote and illustrated 24 books between 1972 and 2012. According to the Swedish wiki page for the series, the books have been translated to 35 different languages.

Per Åhlin directed and animated a cartoon series based on these books in the late 70s that has also been translated to English and multiple other languages. The musical score was composed by Czech-Swedish bass player/composer Georg Riedel. Both are still alive, Åhlin is 90 and Riedel is 87.

Now Georg Riedel (Wikidead at 90

• Like 2

Never got into DBZ, but for much of my friend group this is 1000% (dare I say 9001%) their death of the year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Unless the pope dies this year this will probably be the most mourned worldwide death this year. Every boy in my generation had a phase as a child where they were insanely into DBZ, and its popularity across Japan, the English speaking world, and Latin America cannot be understated. 

20 minutes ago, FinalChapter said:

Unless the pope dies this year this will probably be the most mourned worldwide death this year. Every boy in my generation had a phase as a child where they were insanely into DBZ, and its popularity across Japan, the English speaking world, and Latin America cannot be understated. 

Am I the only person who's never heard of him or his creation? 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 5

Just now, DevonDeathTrip said:

I'm not into anime at all, but he is a huge name. Dragon Ball is maybe the most popular Japanese cartoon in Italy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

oh how id love to be under that precious rock youre living in

• Like 1

No, me too. I think I'm a generation too old and my children a generation too young.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

No, me too

Me three. No idea at all.

• Like 1

I have no idea how popular it was in the UK, and I also assume you are over 35 years old. 

• Like 1

I didn't know Great Britain still had the giant stones that were used to build stone henge!

• Like 1

Oh very sad Toriyama was one of the true legend in this art, like Stan Lee for comics in USA, not only famous for the booksellers but also part of 20th century pop culture because he's one of the pionneers of the modern mangas :(