Godot

A Famous Belgian

The subject of the death threat, Queen Fabiola, has made a return to public life after recovering from serious health problems at the start of the year.

More info on the threat to her life here:

The letter-writer claims that Queen Fabiola poisoned her late husband King Boudewijn after she found out that he had an illicit gay relationship with the late Yugoslav leader Marshal Tito :) . The letter goes on to say that “she costs Flanders 30,000 euros a week to listen to religious music, visit Lourdes and buy her place in heaven.""This is why she will by shot dead by a crossbow during the military parade on 21 July

In my general sweep of reading articles on the politics within the Church of Scotland, I found this.

Read the Comments.

Anyone wish to own up? :rolleyes:

A famous belgian, Josette Baujot, has died, on August 13.

So probably not that famous then.

She was an artist/colourist and was apparently responsible for developing the "colour code" for many Tin Tin books.

A famous belgian, Josette Baujot, has died, on August 13.

So probably not that famous then.

She was an artist/colourist and was apparently responsible for developing the "colour code" for many Tin Tin books.

What would that be? Blacks as human flesh eating savages? :)

Good old CNN

British Prime Minister Tony Brown

Belgian PMs are two a penny. Does this mean that he has to stand down as PM? It took Belgium a long enough time to decide on a PM after the last general election, something like 11 months. Even then that one didn't see out the year owing to fucking up the bank bail out only to be replaced by this Rumpy pumpy one or whatever his name was. Who cares, at least Blair can carry on trying to experience an IED first hand.

My girlfriemd and I went to Bruges lasy year and it was beautiful.....

To get back on topic, no I dont think there has ever beena Belgian on the list and I can't think of a famous one who's near death.

Yeah, it looks like Van Rompuy'll get the job. I'm pissed off that Dutch PM Balkenende did a bit too much artful dodging. I think that the Dutch deserve to get rid of that twat.

There is a problem with the Belgian, though. Nobody can pronounce his name but the Belgians and the Dutch. Oh, and the French with a bit of coaching.

regards,

Hein

European Union? He looks like the result of a union between Sven-Goran Eriksson and William Hague! Or is he so named as he was conceived in the back of Peter Noone's tour bus?!

Lets not forget the EU's poster girl:

225px-Baroness_Ashton_headshot.jpg

Baroness Ashton of Upholland - will be High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy fomr 1st January.

They make a lovely couple...

European Union? He looks like the result of a union between Sven-Goran Eriksson and William Hague! Or is he so named as he was conceived in the back of Peter Noone's tour bus?!

Baroness Ashton of Upholland - will be High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy fomr 1st January.

Tattyfilarious! How tickled she must be! Etc., etc.

Tattyfilarious! How tickled she must be! Etc., etc.

Well, they certainly form a pretty pair:

_46761567_008303123-1.jpg

Considering that ugly people are, from necessity, in the majority, this was to be expected.

regards,

Hein

Poster girl? I'm not hanging that one up.

Of course a virtually unknown Belgian could get international news coverage worthy of DDP points if he had a job as a train driver and the willingness to ignore the odd red light. No definitive word on this mess yet, but I'm guessing a recently deceased train driver will be named and blamed for running a light and causing the carnage.

World famous in Belgium: Belgian sports hack Jan Wauters dies. (Links to Dutch news article)

regards,

Hein

Does it say anything interesting, Dutch Deathlisters?

Translation:

"Brewer Pierre Celis died last Saturday evening. The man who re-introduced famous witbier Hoegaarden in the 1960's has lost his fight against cancer. Celis was 86.

The "Witteke" seemed on its way to a quiet death when farmer Celis bought the brewery in Hoegaarden. He decided that from then on this beer ought to be served in the now well-known glass, resembling a jam jar. Eventually Hoegaarden is drunk, not just in the Leuven area, but all around Belgium and abroad.

Later Celis crossed the channel. In Austin, Texas he opened a new brewery. To the original Hoegaarden recipe he brewed "Celis White", another success brand. Just a few years ago Celis returned to our country. He had sold his brewery in the States. He lived in a nursing home for a short while."

Actually, there's a bit more. As written in Celis' Wiki article, he crossed the Atlantic, because he was forced to sell his brewery to the DevilInterbrew after a fire left him penniless. He couldn't brew his stuff in Europe anymore, so he moved to the US, to succesfully brew a bootleg.

regards,

Hein

Does it say anything interesting, Dutch Deathlisters?

Translation:

"Brewer Pierre Celis died last Saturday evening. The man who re-introduced famous witbier Hoegaarden in the 1960's has lost his fight against cancer. Celis was 86.

The "Witteke" seemed on its way to a quiet death when farmer Celis bought the brewery in Hoegaarden. He decided that from then on this beer ought to be served in the now well-known glass, resembling a jam jar. Eventually Hoegaarden is drunk, not just in the Leuven area, but all around Belgium and abroad.

Later Celis crossed the channel. In Austin, Texas he opened a new brewery. To the original Hoegaarden recipe he brewed "Celis White", another success brand. Just a few years ago Celis returned to our country. He had sold his brewery in the States. He lived in a nursing home for a short while."

Actually, there's a bit more. As written in Celis' Wiki article, he crossed the Atlantic, because he was forced to sell his brewery to the DevilInterbrew after a fire left him penniless. He couldn't brew his stuff in Europe anymore, so he moved to the US, to succesfully brew a bootleg.

regards,

Hein

Cheers!

After all this time, still no government! Even the beard protesters are giving up in disgust. Well, the country is still functioning to some extent, presumably in caretaker mode, so maybe NONE of us really need governments... :skill2:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/04/27/o...E73Q54220110427

BRUSSELS | Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:08pm BST

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Belgian men who pledged not to shave until their politicians agree on a new government appear to have begun reaching for their razors, exasperated at the lack of progress.

French-speaking actor Benoit Poelvoorde made the call to grow whiskers in January as a protest against the deadlock between Dutch-speaking and French-speaking parties.

A total of 798 men initially signed up on the website www.unebelgiqueaupoil.be/

But Poelvoorde himself has now shaved, Belgian newspapers reported, though his agent was unable to confirm this.

Flemish radio and TV presenter Koen Fillet said he was keeping his beard growing, for now.

"I fear that if I weren't a more or less well-known personality I would have shaved by now," he told Reuters.

Fillet, who posts regular progress pictures on the website of Flemish Radio 1, was not sure how much longer he would go on.

"...I just sighed deeply. Slowly I'm starting to think that I will shave on the 365th day, on the anniversary of the June 13 elections. By then it will be clear that we are in an impossible situation. Does that sound honourable?"

Talks to form a new government, currently led by Flemish Christian Democrat Wouter Beke, continue with little sign of progress, 318 days after the elections.

(Reporting by Robert-Jan Bartunek; editing by Rex Merrifield and Paul Casciato)

so maybe NONE of us really need governments... :skill2:

... and most of the comments here agree: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...overnment-split

So Belgium has well and truly smashed Iraq's world record as the nation state to go for the longest period of time without a government.

Not for the nervous this one, but racing cyclist Wouter Weylandt has died in an obit worthy way, and he was Belgian.