Godot

A Famous Belgian

Famous, er.....penguin?

I'm not sure this is the rigth topic, I might as well post it in "Authors Last a Long Time, But....", but hey, this one can do with some traffic.

Flemish author Ivo Michiels died last Sunday. I haven't read much of his work. I did read Het afscheid, after I bought a translation to Hungarian of it in Budapest in the early 1980s.

regards,

Hein

I stumbled upon this picture of Queen Fabiola on Tumblr taking part in Luxembourg's royal wedding. She looks pretty aged and is of course using a wheelchair.

I stumbled upon this picture of Queen Fabiola on Tumblr taking part in Luxembourg's royal wedding. She looks pretty aged and is of course using a wheelchair.

She also seems to be being savaged by some type of wild animal, Poor lady.

Good grief! She looks worse and worse! Former Queen Fabiola. And this was Oktober last year.

media_xll_1479211.jpg

Good grief! She looks worse and worse! Former Queen Fabiola. And this was Oktober last year.

It won't be long till bits start falling off. It looks like my theme team will get a joker hit. :D

regards,

Hein

Queen Fabiola finds herself in hot water after setting up a financial construction to dodge inheritance tax. Apparently she's preparing for the end.

regards,

Hein

May I suggest Albert II, King of the Belgians? At 70 he's still a bit young and he has no known serious health problems, but his brother Baldwin kicked the bucket rather unexpectedly at 62.

King Albert II abdicates, citing, amongst other things, "Ill health".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23167525

May I suggest Albert II, King of the Belgians? At 70 he's still a bit young and he has no known serious health problems, but his brother Baldwin kicked the bucket rather unexpectedly at 62.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23167525

According to the Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant he decided this after the abdiction of queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. Which doesn't suprise me at all seeing that the speeeches were so similar and thet both abdicated on a national holiday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-23167525

According to the Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant he decided this after the abdiction of queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. Which doesn't suprise me at all seeing that the speeeches were so similar and thet both abdicated on a national holiday.

It has been suggested that the abdication doesn't have much to do with his health, more that he had a fling or two back in the day which may be about to come back and haunt him.

During the ceremony I noticed Queen Fabiola in the background. She looked to be in reasonably good health, but with a slight hint of dementia/

Not exactly world famous, but at least reasonably famous in those countries where Dutch is spoken: Hugo Raes, Flemish author and poet died yesterday, aged 84.

I met him many years ago when he gave a lecture at the local library. I read several of his novels.

No report in the English speaking Net, probably never will be, but here's a Dutch one.

Hugo_Raes_%281971%29.jpg

regards,

Hein

Guest Cat Ballou

Any news on the health of Looby Loo the female Belgian Serial Killer ?

Flemish author Ward Ruyslinck died yesterday, aged 85.

I read several of his novels and met him once in 1979 when he gave a lecture at the local library.

regards,

Hein

English translation:

Queen Fabiola is deceased Friday night in the Castle Stuyvenberg in Brussels. It Koninklijs Palace announced in a press release. Fabiola has become 86 years old.

Fabiola struggling for years with a fragile health. She had osteoropose, an age-related disease that weakened her bones. She also suffered from lack of oxygen in her blood. She had difficulty breathing and was independently controlled on the oxygen cylinder. She never fully recovered from a severe pneumonia that struck her in 2009.

Fabiola had end of 2013, retired from public life. Last summer, she had to give, among other things strengthen for a memorial service for King Baudouin.

Fabiola was in 1960 as the wife of Baldwin at the age of 32 the fifth queen of the Belgians. The marriage of King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola remained childless, a great drama in both their lives.

As Queen Fabiola had a purely representative function, but they also developed their own initiatives. She wrote to publish a collection of twelve stories in 1961. And after the death of Queen Elizabeth in 1965, she takes the patronage of the International Music Competition Queen Elisabeth from her and she is Honorary President. They will remain committed to fulfill that role until the end of 2013, when Queen Mathilde Queen Fabiola follow as honorary president.

After the death of King Baudouin in July 1993 Fabiola retains her title of queen. In September of that year she assumes the Presidency of the King Baudouin Foundation, an organization established to improve the living conditions of the Belgian population.

The past few years came Fabiola especially in the news with her delicate health. In early 2010 the queen was threatened several times with death by an anonymous letter writer.

In January 2013 Queen Fabiola was discredited when became known that she had founded the private foundation "Fons Pereos" to adjust its heritage and bringing the legacy of King Baudouin in the paint. Imputed government money was the purpose of averting. After the brouhaha that followed the queen promised that they would shut down the foundation. She said she never had the intention to fund the foundation with money from its endowment, and that they had underestimated the political consequences. The federal government decided to reform the allocation system, including the reduction of the endowment of the Queen same year.

Her last official act dated 31 July 2013. When Fabiola attended the herdenkingsmis at the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the death of King Baudouin.

She was originally Spanish...so it would appear that the most famous Belgians aren't even Belgians.

• Like 1