Our Sole

Nelson Mandela

And so it turned itno another day and the start of another year as today (July18) Mandela turned 90.

Happpy Birthday Nelson Mandela

Yes, and now perhaps he would like to consider all the years that people campaigned for his release, had concerts in his honour and did all things humanly possible to free him and dismantle a cruel regime.

Once he has considered it, perhaps, and respectfully, he should get off his arse and start to tell it how it is in Zimbabwe and Africa in general and deliver a few home truths to the people of his own country where its still customary to do horrendous things to babies because, God forbid, people still believe it to be a cure for Aids.

We wont even go into the murder rate, rape rate etc, etc.

Yes, South Africa really has moved on apace since his release.

• Like 1

I'm not a sissy but I've always felt a little bit uneasy somehow to see Nelson Mandela appear on this list. I'm well aware that DL can't exclusively nominate the earth's scum like Atkins, the Lockerbie chap, Kim-il-Jong, Demjanjuk and Thatcher, but throughout my youth madiba has been such a strong symbol of hope and believe in a better future that it feels almost blasphemous to hope for his speedy demise.

I know that DL does not actually speed up anyone's death and I have been around here long enough to understand that one should not take it too seriously, but I can't help regretting Mandela's appearance here.

Oh, I'm just getting soft lately... Things start looking grimmer once you've turned 30, I guess.

I'm not a sissy but I've always felt a little bit uneasy somehow to see Nelson Mandela appear on this list. I'm well aware that DL can't exclusively nominate the earth's scum like Atkins, the Lockerbie chap, Kim-il-Jong, Demjanjuk and Thatcher, but throughout my youth madiba has been such a strong symbol of hope and believe in a better future that it feels almost blasphemous to hope for his speedy demise.

I know that DL does not actually speed up anyone's death and I have been around here long enough to understand that one should not take it too seriously, but I can't help regretting Mandela's appearance here.

Oh, I'm just getting soft lately... Things start looking grimmer once you've turned 30, I guess.

Death catches up with the good and the bad in the end...

Yes, and now perhaps he would like to consider all the years that people campaigned for his release, had concerts in his honour and did all things humanly possible to free him and dismantle a cruel regime.

Once he has considered it, perhaps, and respectfully, he should get off his arse and start to tell it how it is in Zimbabwe and Africa in general and deliver a few home truths to the people of his own country where its still customary to do horrendous things to babies because, God forbid, people still believe it to be a cure for Aids.

Wow, it must be a burden to carry such arrogance on your shoulders. Mandela is more than twice your own age, yet he is the one you expect to "get off his arse". Since you're so concerned with Zimbabwe and Africa, what has your contribution been, other than to criticise a man who fought and still stands for freedom and is a legend in his own right. South Africa and Africa has its problems, but so does France, Greece and the rest of the world. Except here in the 3rd world, we like to burn tyres and steal cars, not so much like the 1st world, where you burn 100's of cars and showrooms down. You speak of horrendous events in our country, but you only need to read the UK newspapers, to know things are really no better - it is just easier for people like yourself to pretend that violence, rape, child abuse only happens elsewhere. Maybe you should open your eyes to the mess in your own continent before you feel entitled to dispose your negative thoughts about Africa, particularly South Africa.

Wow, it must be a burden to carry such arrogance on your shoulders. Mandela is more than twice your own age, yet he is the one you expect to "get off his arse". Since you're so concerned with Zimbabwe and Africa, what has your contribution been, other than to criticise a man who fought and still stands for freedom and is a legend in his own right. South Africa and Africa has its problems, but so does France, Greece and the rest of the world. Except here in the 3rd world, we like to burn tyres and steal cars, not so much like the 1st world, where you burn 100's of cars and showrooms down. You speak of horrendous events in our country, but you only need to read the UK newspapers, to know things are really no better - it is just easier for people like yourself to pretend that violence, rape, child abuse only happens elsewhere. Maybe you should open your eyes to the mess in your own continent before you feel entitled to dispose your negative thoughts about Africa, particularly South Africa.

<<<<<sits back with popcorn, Diet Sprite, and a packet of fags, and awaits the fireworks........there hasn't been a good fight on here for ages!

Now, are you yet another one of the regulars hiding behind a new name and avatar to have a pop at me because you lack the bollocks to do it under your known one...or not? Hmmm.

Either way f**k off as I cant be arsed to get into a debate with a cretin.

PS: If you wrote that pile of shite within a 1000 miles of the African coast, my cocks 10 ft long

PPS: You actually like to burn tyres when they are "wrapped around someones neck"

Tut, tut, you dont even know your own cultural traditions........UK ones probably

Now, are you yet another one of the regulars hiding behind a new name and avatar to have a pop at me because you lack the bollocks to do it under your known one...or not? Hmmm.,

PS: If you wrote that pile of shite within a 1000 miles of the African coast, my cocks 10 ft long

PPS: You actually like to burn tyres when they are "wrapped around someones neck"

Tut, tut, you dont even know your own cultural traditions........UK ones probably

"If only I had thought of saying that.....Only the other day Prime Minister Pitt called me an idle scrounger and it wasn't until ages later that I thought how clever it would have been to have said 'Oh bugger off, you old fart!"

Now, are you yet another one of the regulars hiding behind a new name and avatar to have a pop at me because you lack the bollocks to do it under your known one...or not? Hmmm.

I only joined the forum yesterday, so you can be assured I'm not a regular in disguise. It hadn't even occurred to me that you may already have ticked off a few people, but considering the bird poo you like to post, it comes as no surprise that youre hard to like. The size of your cock- that I can believe, because your brain has been oxygen deprived for too long, which I guess is your only valid defence for the initial post that prompted my reply.

I only joined the forum yesterday, so you can be assured I'm not a regular in disguise. It hadn't even occurred to me that you may already have ticked off a few people, but considering the bird poo you like to post, it comes as no surprise that youre hard to like. The size of your cock- that I can believe, because your brain has been oxygen deprived for too long, which I guess is your only valid defence for the initial post that prompted my reply.

Yeah, blah, blah, blah.

When you have been around here a little bit more than 5 mins, by all means be critical. I may well tick off prats like you but I kinda like doing that, bursting the Balloon of pomposity and all that.

You are a real conundrum arent you. You prattle on about how Mandela stood for, and still is, standing for freedom yet you critisise me for daring to question whether he should get off of his arse to make a stand for those people in Zimbabwe who have anything but freedom.

Your comparison of Africa with the likes of France, Greece etc is an absolute joke.

How do you compare Democracy, albeit, imperfect democracy with tyranny?

What is the difference between locking up Political Prisoners ( Mandela) with torturing and murdering politcal opponents and their families by Mugabes regime in Zimbabwe?

What would be so difficult in having Mandela make a statement condeming what is happening with his next door neighbour?

Why is South Africa and all those nations surrounding Zimbabwe having such difficulty in uttering the simple words "Enough is enough, stand down!" to Mr Tyrant?

The answer is as simple and as distateful as its idiocy. Mugabe is still seen as a freedom fighter who battled and defeated the white man, a man who did much to remove those that came and took from the indigenous, to wit, he as seen as being on the same pedestal as Mandela himself.

So as Mugabe, cheats, murders, subjugates and clings on to power anyway he can, the rest of Africa looks on. How do you criticize a hero?

You made a point that "we" in the 1st world like to burn 100s of cars and showrooms down. Exactly what has that got to do with anything? Do you think that those who are arrested for such crimes ( usually anarchists who do not recognise democratically elected governments, Law and order, etc, etc anyway) disappear into secret cells where they are tortured, mutilated and then murdered? Bit like Zimbabwe?

How does it sit with you knowing that your critique of the 1st World forms the backdrop to a collective of Democracies who contribute Billions of dollars of aid to that continent year on year, much of it going into the pockets of unelected rulers and precious little to their own people? Do you see it as some sort of payback for centuries old Western tyranny to Africa?

When do we all stop paying? When do we stop saying sorry? When does Africa finally stand on its own two feet?

Do I, a Tax payer appreciate my Government appropriating Billions of pound of aid knowing that I am working my tits off so that Swazilands King Mswatii the 3rd can buy a fleet of luxury vehicles to travel to his starving Aids riddled subjects?

Yes things here are shite. Too many people murdered, the Economy in a state of collapse, too many issues to mention but how the hell do you compare that to whats happening in Zimbabwe and the silence of Africa as it watches.

Inspite of all our problems, we have the one thing that cannot be removed from us, Democracy.

I was born into it, I will die in a Democracy.

Compare that to the millions of Zimbabweans who have been born into tyranny and will surely die in it.

You are an absolute joke.

I look forward to reading your other well informed and measured pearls of wisdom.

Correction. You, or someone using the same computer posted back in 2006, under the pseudonyms PW Botha and Brenda Fassie, so your credibility is already fairly thin.

Here's the delightful post Mr. P.W. Botha directed to me in response to my suggestion that he might be racist, what with overseeing an apartheid regime for a number of years and all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wipe your mounth, dick head, you're talking bullshit. I'm a black person living in fear because South Africa became a paradise the lawless people. In mr Botha's time we could easily live without fearing being raped, murdered, burgled etc. Today we have 20000 murders a year in South Africa out of a population of 40 million. Not bad hey !!!!!!!!"

Charming.

Correction. You, or someone using the same computer posted back in 2006, under the pseudonyms PW Botha and Brenda Fassie, so your credibility is already fairly thin.

Here's the delightful post Mr. P.W. Botha directed to me in response to my suggestion that he might be racist, what with overseeing an apartheid regime for a number of years and all.

"Wipe your mounth, dick head, you're talking bullshit. I'm a black person living in fear because South Africa became a paradise the lawless people. In mr Botha's time we could easily live without fearing being raped, murdered, burgled etc. Today we have 20000 murders a year in South Africa out of a population of 40 million. Not bad hey !!!!!!!!"

Charming.

Mwah ha ha. I believe the term used by the youth of today is 'owned'. And you, CerealK, have been, to a f*****g tee. :)

Cowboy Ronnie, that post probably came from SA, but not from me. No doubt looking up the cache proxy ip for the main backbone to SA internet traffic, will give that impression.

I think it's time that I shed some light on this conversation. Why isn't Mugabe history? Very simple. It's about fear. People confine themselves in fear. I've read the stories and I've seen the documentaries. The suffering in some of these places is unmeasurable. The people live like animals and they starve and the women and children are beaten and raped on a regular basis. Africa might even be worse then some of those jails in Argentina. I compare their mentality to the ancient Romans only they may have been more rational. What is the solution? They need a leader, a teacher, a guideline. Human beings need laws. IT"S A f*****g HELL. THESE PEOPLE NEED A SAVIOR. But how can they be saved when we cannot save ourselves?

If only we could all be a hero in the strife.

I compare their mentality to the ancient Romans only they may have been more rational.

How, pray tell Banshees old boy, are you qualified to comment on the mentality of people in today's Zimbabwe, much less the ancient Romans, who didn't leave diaries or anything behind? Based on what little history we do know, I'd have thought relatively speaking the average Roman citizen had it better than, say, the Visigoths.

THESE PEOPLE NEED A SAVIOR. But how can they be saved when we cannot save ourselves?

You should send them your C.V Banshees. There can't be any more of this being "out of town" whenever important world events happen though. They'd take a pretty dim view of that I think.

I think it's time that I shed some light on this conversation. Why isn't Mugabe history? Very simple. It's about fear. People confine themselves in fear. I've read the stories and I've seen the documentaries. The suffering in some of these places is unmeasurable. The people live like animals and they starve and the women and children are beaten and raped on a regular basis. Africa might even be worse then some of those jails in Argentina. I compare their mentality to the ancient Romans only they may have been more rational. What is the solution? They need a leader, a teacher, a guideline. Human beings need laws. IT"S A f*****g HELL. THESE PEOPLE NEED A SAVIOR. But how can they be saved when we cannot save ourselves?

I think it has more to do with the fact that he still has the army at his disposal. He has been clever enough to look after the people who matter in maintaining power.

The second point is that Mugabe is Zimbabwe's leader. If you look at post-colonial political history, the prominent rebels who helped win independence tend to rule with legitimacy due to their activities in freeing that nation. Mugabe still holds legitimacy in some circles due to his past. There is a term to describe such figures, but I've forgotten what it is.

Thus, I would argue that Zimbabwe is stuck with Mugabe until such time as:

1: He loses support of his army (most likely to be cause by economic factors).

2: He dies or decides to retire.

3: Foreign military intervention.

I can't see powersharing working.

(As usual, you know all about my political predictions of the past, so brace yourself for Zimbabwean democracy flourishing under a power-sharing deal).

Well what a strange individual CerealK turned out to be. Bursting onto the scene, seemingly with so much to say for themselves, and then retreating faster than the Italian army as soon as they came up against some opposition.

CerealK. As you can probably infer, I'm fairly new around here myself, and whilst I don't doubt that your sentiments towards Mandela are sincere, you really shouldn't need to be a member of mensa to work out (preferably before you start posting) that if you're going to post sanctimonious rubbish then there are probably better forums out there on which to do so. However, if you are genuinely from South Africa, then perhaps you can make yourself useful on this forum by becoming our on the spot reporter for Mandela. Or, if you're feeling really adventurous, perhaps you might like to run some cross border sorties into Zimbabwe to give us the very latest on Mugabe. I'm pretty sure there's no ban on Deathlist.net reporting from inside his regime, and who knows, if you keep your head down and don't fall prone to any sudden outbursts, you'll probably make it out safely, thus enabling you to pass your findings on to us.

However, if you can't/won't accept this offer, then (judging by your inspired portfolio of 3 posts) it's probably in the best interests of all concerned if you take LFN's advice and simply f**k off.

An entire generation of great statesmen from the eighties and early nineties is now dead, dying or growing (very) old. Of course, they don't come and go in waves, but somehow it feels that way with me, having come of age in that particular period. (Talking about my political awareness, of course.) I enjoy discussing this inevitable process, but I feel very uneasy to do so about Mandela. No political event of that era has made a more profound impression than his release from Robben Island in 1990, not even the fall of the Berlin Wall or the collapse of the Soviet Union. He might be an obvious choice for the DL 2010, but it would feel blasphemous to me.

An entire generation of great statesmen from the eighties and early nineties is now dead, dying or growing (very) old. Of course, they don't come and go in waves, but somehow it feels that way with me, having come of age in that particular period. (Talking about my political awareness, of course.) I enjoy discussing this inevitable process, but I feel very uneasy to do so about Mandela. No political event of that era has made a more profound impression than his release from Robben Island in 1990, not even the fall of the Berlin Wall or the collapse of the Soviet Union. He might be an obvious choice for the DL 2010, but it would feel blasphemous to me.

It will cause quite an admin problem if Nelson dies when the world cup is on

[...]I feel very uneasy to do so about Mandela. No political event of that era has made a more profound impression than his release from Robben Island in 1990, not even the fall of the Berlin Wall or the collapse of the Soviet Union. He might be an obvious choice for the DL 2010, but it would feel blasphemous to me.

Mandela's release from prison was one of very few bits of televised politics that moved me to tears. I'm not blind to his past, one man's freedom figther being another one's terrorist, but he's certainly a political hero. Nevertheless, Mr Mandela must go the way of all flesh and is fair game for DL and DDP and such.

It will cause quite an admin problem if Nelson dies when the world cup is on

What a nasty thought. :wub:

regards,

Hein

I hope he'll not die this year... he is such a good person... there was a false information in October 2007 that he died... but in a 24 hours it was recovered that mr. Mandela was alive... I hope he will be alive when World Cup 2010 will be opened... well, i don't like football very much, but after so many years, first WOrld Cup in South Africa... he need to be alive!

now that his biographer Fatima Meer is dead he will die as well and very soon.

What - is there a suicide pact or something?

Maybe some kind soul out there with pancreatic cancer could write death_master_bob's biography.