football_fan

F.W. De Klerk

Hope he didn't saffer too much

• Like 2

Is any pre-apartheid SA political figure left? They don't seem to be extremely longeve.

43 minutes ago, drol said:

Is any pre-apartheid SA political figure left? They don't seem to be extremely longeve.

Pre? Didn’t it start in the late 40s?

Oops. Well, you know what I meant. Pre apartheid abolition.

Desmond Tutu is really the last of the giants (household names in the Uk) from that era of South Africa politics left 

8 minutes ago, drol said:

Pre-post-apartheid.

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Pre-post-apartheid.

Or just apartheid-era? :P

Adriaan Vlok, Barend du Plessis and Dawie de Villiers were ministers in P.W. Botha's second cabinet. Kraai van Niekerk, Leon Wessels, Tertius Delport and Rina Venter (also the first woman to hold a cabinet post in the history of South Africa) were ministers in de Klerk's cabinet. I wouldn't really call any of these notable though.

Outside of politics, Georg Meiring (last apartheid-era chief of the defence force) and Eugene de Kock (police colonel, notorious torturer) are still alive.

Atleast Mangosuthu Buthelezi, Thabo Mbeki, Jacob Zuma and Tutu from the notable anti-apartheid activists.

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Or just apartheid-era? :P

Yeah, when they didn’t avoid not doing anti-apartheid.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, drol said:

Sir Sydney Kentridge and Desmond Tutu are the most notable establishment figures of apartheid-era SA I'm aware of who are still alive. Both were anti-apartheid.

A total lack of records for South African birth and death records online means that I have loads of 95+ SA names on my Wiki watchlist who are likely dead but there's nothing to prove it either way.

On 12/11/2021 at 14:08, arghton said:

Adriaan Vlok, Barend du Plessis and Dawie de Villiers were ministers in P.W. Botha's second cabinet. Kraai van Niekerk, Leon Wessels, Tertius Delport and Rina Venter (also the first woman to hold a cabinet post in the history of South Africa) were ministers in de Klerk's cabinet. I wouldn't really call any of these notable though.

Outside of politics, Georg Meiring (last apartheid-era chief of the defence force) and Eugene de Kock (police colonel, notorious torturer) are still alive.

Atleast Mangosuthu Buthelezi, Thabo Mbeki, Jacob Zuma and Tutu from the notable anti-apartheid activists.

Adriaan de Vlok, mentioned here, has died aged 85. He served as Minister for Law and Order from 1986-1991.

Received obituaries from Daily MailLe Monde and BBC.

• Like 4