Jump to content
maryportfuncity

Deadio Times

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Sad and shocking news just in that the lovely Radio 2 DJ Jo Whiley has been viciously attacked in the street by a mugger.I hope and pray she is OK and able to return to her radio show ASAP. And I hope the police catch the thug that did it and bang him up  !:angry: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/13864445/radio-2-jo-whiley-street-mugging/


For the benefit of everyone who isn’t after sensationalist crap, she had her phone stolen.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Sad and shocking news just in that the lovely Radio 2 DJ Jo Whiley has been viciously attacked in the street by a mugger.I hope and pray she is OK and able to return to her radio show ASAP. And I hope the police catch the thug that did it and bang him up  !:angry: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/13864445/radio-2-jo-whiley-street-mugging/


She wasn’t “viciously attacked”, some guy on a moped just swiped her phone as he drove past. 
 

Google “moped gangs London”. Happens all the time in London (albeit it’s not as bad as it used to be). In the last company I worked in 10 of my colleagues had their mobiles swiped over a period of a month as they were walking down the street in The City.
 

The moped riders are part of petty theft gang networks that operate across the whole of central London. They take the devices, wipe them clean then resell the parts to international markets where they’ll probably get 50% of what they sell for retail in the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:


For the benefit of everyone who isn’t after sensationalist crap, she had her phone stolen.

 

Poor mugger's gonna get a nasty shock when he discovers Zelda's nude selfies. Never met her, but I used to know her hubby, record plugger Steve 'Mingly' Morton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:


She wasn’t “viciously attacked”, some guy on a moped just swiped her phone as he drove past. 
 

Google “moped gangs London”. Happens all the time in London (albeit it’s not as bad as it used to be). In the last company I worked in 10 of my colleagues had their mobiles swiped over a period of a month as they were walking down the street in The City.
 

The moped riders are part of petty theft gang networks that operate across the whole of central London. They take the devices, wipe them clean then resell the parts to international markets where they’ll probably get 50% of what they sell for retail in the UK.

Fortunately I don't live in London so this level of violence is still quite shocking to me ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot abide the smirking name-dropping cow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Toast said:

I cannot abide the smirking name-dropping cow.

She speaks very highly of you. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Toast said:

I cannot abide the smirking name-dropping cow.

 

 

Aye, I'm - sort of - with PB above. Can't say I know much about Ms Wylie either way but always assumed her enthusiasm for music - certainly back in the days when she co-hosted an indie show on Radio One - made her one of the good guys. I mean obviously, in the absence of wholesale point-scoring deaths this week, a little vicious gossip does liven the place up, so I'm not complaining that much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get to be the out of touch person for once - I'd never heard of her, or if I had she didn't linger long in the mind! (I've Googled her, I know shes a radio DJ, still none the wiser!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, msc said:

I get to be the out of touch person for once - I'd never heard of her, or if I had she didn't linger long in the mind! (I've Googled her, I know shes a radio DJ, still none the wiser!)

 

Thank fuck for that. I've never heard of her either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's the one who always fronts the BBC Glastonbury coverage.  She sits there smirking with a "Look how cool I am" air, constantly name-dropping about how she was chatting to [insert name of any notable music artiste here, she's on intimate terms with everybody] on the way to the bogs.

When it's so hard to get a ticket for Glasto, it rankles a bit when you know she's getting paid and even brings her kids along, all on licencepayers money.  (Kids probably grown up now, but still). 

Just the sight of her boils my piss.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Toast said:

She's the one who always fronts the BBC Glastonbury coverage.  She sits there smirking with a "Look how cool I am" air, constantly name-dropping about how she was chatting to [insert name of any notable music artiste here, she's on intimate terms with everybody] on the way to the bogs.

When it's so hard to get a ticket for Glasto, it rankles a bit when you know she's getting paid and even brings her kids along, all on licencepayers money.  (Kids probably grown up now, but still). 

Just the sight of her boils my piss.

 

tbh this makes my policy of just getting the machine to tape the interesting bands for later and then fast forwarding all the pre-gig chat even wiser imo. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's always been a clueless, provincial blagger in thrall to those with real musical taste and understanding. The indie Fearne Cotton, the living narrator of LCD Soundsystem's 'Losing My Edge'.

 

Peel may have liked just about every piece of crap ever recorded, but at least he seemed like he made up his own mind about it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Toast said:

She's the one who always fronts the BBC Glastonbury coverage.  She sits there smirking with a "Look how cool I am" air, constantly name-dropping about how she was chatting to [insert name of any notable music artiste here, she's on intimate terms with everybody] on the way to the bogs.

When it's so hard to get a ticket for Glasto, it rankles a bit when you know she's getting paid and even brings her kids along, all on licencepayers money.  (Kids probably grown up now, but still). 

Just the sight of her boils my piss.

 

Never seen it, not something I have any interest in to be honest. I've just googled her and recognise the face from somewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

 

Never seen it, not something I have any interest in to be honest. I've just googled her and recognise the face from somewhere. 

 

image.jpeg.1001d21f46eb615f582dee4f8a4422ea.jpeg

 

Actually, that might be Annie Nightingale now I come to think of it.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Handrejka said:

Never seen it, not something I have any interest in to be honest. I've just googled her and recognise the face from somewhere. 

 

Probably from being plastered across the BBC page when you need to sign in for something.  It's not always her, but she's on the rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

 

image.jpeg.1001d21f46eb615f582dee4f8a4422ea.jpeg

 

Actually, that might be Annie Nightingale now I come to think of it.

Annie Nightingale is older than my mum ! How does she get to stay a radio one DJ so long? Chris Moyles was axed for being to old at 38 , and he was probably the best DJ they ever had ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric Wetherell, composer and conductor, former principal conductor of the BBC Northern Irelan Orchestra, former regular on Friday Night is Music Night, and latterly Senior music producer for Radio 3, is reported dead aged 95.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dick Smyth, a legendary radio broadcaster, TV broadcaster and newsman whose commentary was seen & heard by Canadians for generations, has died. He was 86 (despite what the URL below says). Smyth was an authoritative figure and distinct for his commentary, which I remember listening to, back in the day.

 

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2021/03/06/dick-smyth-canadian-maestro-of-news-radio-commentary-dies-at-85.html

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use