CarolAnn

Baseball

He's like a post-hype prospect in Baseball. By the way, Go Phillies.

f**k the Phillies. If you feel inclined to be a front runner just become a Yankee fan because they have finally developed some young talent who have potential. They also just bought three top players who's salaries are worth 293 million combined.

Although I'm a Jamie Moyer fan because he is 46, a location arm, and he just signed a two year deal which is ridiculous. He made his debut in 1986. Anyway, this is off topic but it's just conversation in the meantime until somebody drops dead. I'm going out and it's time to open up some more champaign.

You are such a d*ck. I'm from Philly. The Yankees and Mets can try to buy it every year, and they keep losing. I hate you and I hate the Mets. Eat Sh*t!! Happy New Year.

Personally, I stick with my Rangers. They lose every year, but it's comforting in its repetition. Besides, where else can you watch an idiot owner let go of everyone who becomes a Yankees star?

We should probably adjourn to the baseball thread. :old:

• Like 1

since we are talking baseball I have to throw out my team The San Francisco Giant! And now, Wasent the reason Dr. DEATH was realeased from jail is that he only had 6 months to live? What happened to that?

Also, Bill Cosby is getting older and older and I have a feeling he may not have too many years left

A Japanese knuckle ball pitcher named Eri Yoshida has made her debut in Japan at the age of 17. I've always told myself this day would come..

By the way, if there are any Fantasy Baseball managers (American or British) who need analysis on a certain player\drafting method I would take it upon myself to offer you my expertise.

A Japanese knuckle ball pitcher named Eri Yoshida has made her debut in Japan at the age of 17. I've always told myself this day would come..

By the way, if there are any Fantasy Baseball managers (American or British) who need analysis on a certain player\drafting method I would take it upon myself to offer you my expertise.

Changing tack slightly, who do you like for the NCAAs? I'll take the Huskies over the Heels.

Joe DiMaggio's brother Dom, a fine player in his own right, has died aged 92.

Where have you gone, Dom DiMaggio?

Former DDP pick as well, and I'm surprised to say that he would have gotten a proper obit. Don't think he was picked this year, but you never known with OoO's naming system these days. :blink:

Former DDP pick as well, and I'm surprised to say that he would have gotten a proper obit. Don't think he was picked this year, but you never known with OoO's naming system these days. :blink:

Not my fault these damn Americans have two names when one will do nicely... ;)

I'm surprised you missed him - Dom diMaggio is under "B"... :P

Joe DiMaggio's brother Dom, a fine player in his own right, has died aged 92.

Where have you gone, Dom DiMaggio?

Any other Doms to die?

This one's 92. Not much news about him in a while.

My brother's name is Dom. Dominic. But we call him Domadick. Cos he's a dick. Or fat ginger-bearded twat, cos he's a fat ginger-bearded twat.

My brother's name is Dom. Dominic. But we call him Domadick. Cos he's a dick. Or fat ginger-bearded twat, cos he's a fat ginger-bearded twat.

Tell us what you really think Lardy.

Tell us what you really think Lardy.

Actually, we get on swimmingly. In fact he has just this minute texted me calling me a jerk-off. I am going round his in a minute to get drunk and eat kebabs and play Guitar Hero.

Since he's been discussed on and off, I thought I'd mention that Wikipedia has a picture of baseball legend Ron Santo doing an impressive job of walking, despite having had both legs amputated.

And yes, best I can tell, that picture was taken in May 2009.

Perfect games don't come along all that often; in fact, only 17 have ever been thrown. Make that 18, and what a way to keep it alive in the 9th. (Those nice people at MLB will no doubt have removed this clip by the time you try to watch it, I'm afraid.)

Edit: official film, catch at 4:15.

Edited by harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Perfect games don't come along all that often; in fact, only 17 have ever been thrown. Make that 18, and what a way to keep it alive in the 9th. (Those nice people at MLB will no doubt have removed this clip by the time you try to watch it, I'm afraid.)

Harry, your signature is hurting my eyes.

I can't open the link, but I am curious to know what all this is about. Is this thrower's feat something akin to single handedly bowling out a cricket team for 0?

I can't open the link, but I am curious to know what all this is about. Is this thrower's feat something akin to single handedly bowling out a cricket team for 0?

From Wikipedia, because it's late and I don't feel like typing:

A perfect game is defined by Major League Baseball as a game in which a pitcher (or combination of pitchers) pitches a victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings and in which no opposing player reaches base. Thus, the pitcher (or pitchers) cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batsmen, or any opposing player to reach base safely for any other reason—in short, "27 up, 27 down". The feat has been achieved only 18 times in the history of major league baseball—16 times since the modern era began in 1900.

By definition, a perfect game must be both a no-hitter and a shutout. Since the pitcher cannot control whether or not his teammates commit any errors, the pitcher usually must be backed up by solid fielding to pitch a perfect game. An error that does not allow a baserunner, such as a misplayed foul ball, does not spoil a perfect game. Weather-shortened contests in which a team has no baserunners and games in which a team reaches first base only in extra innings do not qualify as official perfect games under the present definition. The first confirmed use of the term "perfect game" was in 1908; the current official definition of the term was formalized in 1991. Although it is possible for multiple pitchers to combine for a perfect game (as has happened nine times at the major league level for a no-hitter), to date, every major league perfect game has been thrown by a single pitcher.

In other news, the Yankees magic number is now 1 which means they could well win the AL East title later today.

In other news, the Yankees magic number is now 1 which means they could well win the AL East title later today.

...and they did.

A perfect game is defined by Major League Baseball as a game in which a pitcher (or combination of pitchers) pitches a victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings and in which no opposing player reaches base. Thus, the pitcher (or pitchers) cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batsmen, or any opposing player to reach base safely for any other reason—in short, "27 up, 27 down". The feat has been achieved only 18 times in the history of major league baseball—16 times since the modern era began in 1900.

By definition, a perfect game must be both a no-hitter and a shutout. Since the pitcher cannot control whether or not his teammates commit any errors, the pitcher usually must be backed up by solid fielding to pitch a perfect game. An error that does not allow a baserunner, such as a misplayed foul ball, does not spoil a perfect game. Weather-shortened contests in which a team has no baserunners and games in which a team reaches first base only in extra innings do not qualify as official perfect games under the present definition. The first confirmed use of the term "perfect game" was in 1908; the current official definition of the term was formalized in 1991. Although it is possible for multiple pitchers to combine for a perfect game (as has happened nine times at the major league level for a no-hitter), to date, every major league perfect game has been thrown by a single pitcher.

It says a lot about the difference between Americans and Brits that the perfect game in baseball should be considered one in which the winning side completely dominates the losing one. The perfect game in the UK would be one where the winning side just edges it against all odds - Manchester United v Bayern Munich, 1999, European Cup final, and England v Australia, Headingly, July 1981, when England's chances of winning were put at 500-1 after the Ozzies forced the follow on.

Wiki quote:

On Monday morning the odds began to look generous as first Brearley, then David Gower and Mike Gatting all fell cheaply to reduce England to 41 for 4. Boycott was still anchored at the other end however and he and Peter Willey added 50 runs before lunch. In the afternoon however, Willey was out for 33 and England were in deep trouble at 105 for 5 as Botham went in to bat. Matters did not improve as first Geoff Boycott and then Bob Taylor were soon dismissed. At 135 for 7 an innings defeat looked almost certain.

By all accounts, both teams' players thought Australia would win the match. When Graham Dilley joined him at the crease, Botham reportedly said, "Right then, let's have a bit of fun...". With able support from Dilley (56) and Chris Old (29), Botham hit out and by the close of play was 145 not out with Bob Willis hanging on at the other end on 1 not out. England's lead was just 124 but there was hope. On the final day's play there was time for just four more runs from Botham before Willis was out and Botham was left on 149 not out. Wisden rated this innings as the 4th best of all time.

Willis' real contribution was with the ball. After Botham took the first wicket, Willis skittled Australia out for just 111, finishing with figures of 8 for 43 – rated by Wisden as the 7th best bowling performance of all time. England had won by just 18 runs. It was only the second time in history that a team following on had won a Test match.

That's a perfect game.

It says a lot about the difference between Americans and Brits that the perfect game in baseball should be considered one in which the winning side completely dominates the losing one. The perfect game in the UK would be one where the winning side just edges it against all odds - Manchester United v Bayern Munich, 1999, European Cup final, and England v Australia, Headingly, July 1981, when England's chances of winning were put at 500-1 after the Ozzies forced the follow on.

Wiki quote:

On Monday morning the odds began to look generous as first Brearley, then David Gower and Mike Gatting all fell cheaply to reduce England to 41 for 4. Boycott was still anchored at the other end however and he and Peter Willey added 50 runs before lunch. In the afternoon however, Willey was out for 33 and England were in deep trouble at 105 for 5 as Botham went in to bat. Matters did not improve as first Geoff Boycott and then Bob Taylor were soon dismissed. At 135 for 7 an innings defeat looked almost certain.

By all accounts, both teams' players thought Australia would win the match. When Graham Dilley joined him at the crease, Botham reportedly said, "Right then, let's have a bit of fun...". With able support from Dilley (56) and Chris Old (29), Botham hit out and by the close of play was 145 not out with Bob Willis hanging on at the other end on 1 not out. England's lead was just 124 but there was hope. On the final day's play there was time for just four more runs from Botham before Willis was out and Botham was left on 149 not out. Wisden rated this innings as the 4th best of all time.

Willis' real contribution was with the ball. After Botham took the first wicket, Willis skittled Australia out for just 111, finishing with figures of 8 for 43 – rated by Wisden as the 7th best bowling performance of all time. England had won by just 18 runs. It was only the second time in history that a team following on had won a Test match.

That's a perfect game.

I know what you're saying but disagree. The baseball 'perfect game' is something that is defined, i.e has definite parameters, whereas what you are saying is a perfect game is something that is felt at an emotional level (and being an ABU man, the Bayern Munich match was anything but perfect). They may be perfect results (in someone's opinion), but I don't think they can really be called 'perfect games' unless you can say what makes a perfect game.

Rounders related waffle snipped

From a Saints POV, Pompey are having a perfect season, losing all these matches has never been done before in the history of the Premiership.

Unfortunately obeying Hansen's 2nd law of hard luck, Saints are having an equally perfect season for those south of the M275.

I know what you're saying but disagree. The baseball 'perfect game' is something that is defined, i.e has definite parameters, whereas what you are saying is a perfect game is something that is felt at an emotional level (and being an ABU man, the Bayern Munich match was anything but perfect). They may be perfect results (in someone's opinion), but I don't think they can really be called 'perfect games' unless you can say what makes a perfect game.

I did. What makes a perfect game is one team coming back against another and winning against all the odds. It has nothing to do with the result from anyone's point of view although I would agree the Ozzies and Bayern fans might have found difficulty seeing perfection there. So perfection probably does have to involve an affinity with the winning team (not that I'm a ManU fan).

I was simply pointing out that it's typically American to regard a close-out as a perfect game. That's not a perfect game. It's not much of a game at all. In the same way I suppose the Americans would have regarded a perfect Gulf War, one in which the whole of Iraq and its people were obliterated without a scratch among US troops, a bit like the Indian wars - perfect for "closing-out" North America's native inhabitants whose survivors can watch baseball and feel civilised, and yes it is spelled with an "s" in civilised countries.

• Like 1

Guest Not in my name
I was simply pointing out that it's typically American to regard a close-out as a perfect game. That's not a perfect game. It's not much of a game at all. In the same way I suppose the Americans would have regarded a perfect Gulf War, one in which the whole of Iraq and its people were obliterated without a scratch among US troops, a bit like the Indian wars - perfect for "closing-out" North America's native inhabitants whose survivors can watch baseball and feel civilised, and yes it is spelled with an "s" in civilised countries.

Not forgetting the ability not to shoot at their own coalition troops in dumbass accidental friendly fire incidents.