CarolAnn

Baseball

Seattle Mariners outfielder Gregory Halman, a Dutchman, was stabbed to death this morning, in my hometown Rotterdam, alledgedly by his brother.

m1fz15iaafyz.jpg

Hmm. I see this topic sits in the DL Extracurricular subforum. Do we have a Dead Baseballers topic?

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Remark added.

Latest news on Gary Carter

A weakened Gary Carter will go for another MRI exam on Friday as he continues to battle brain cancer, his daughter Kimmy Bloemers wrote yesterday on a family website.

“Dad will be getting two MRIs — one for his shoulder that still bothers him from his fall and the other for his brain to check on the tumors,’’ Bloemers wrote. “We are praying for two good reports!’’

On the day the Hall of Fame announced Reds shortstop Barry Larkin as its newest member, Carter, a member of the 2003 Hall of Fame class, was determined to go to his college baseball team’s practice. Carter is coach at Palm Beach Atlantic University.

‘‘Now that baseball has begun, his spirits have lifted a bit and I believe he is excited to see his team,’’ Kimmy wrote. “His weak body limits his physical involvement, but the fact he wants to go and still teach his players is beyond amazing.’’

It really doesn't look good for Gary Carter

“Unfortunately, parts of his gums are down to the bone, caused by the medications,” Bloemers wrote. “This is very painful and there is not much they can do. It is uncomfortable to drink and eat.

“Dad's appetite has changed dramatically. Although he is still on the steroids, he actually has been losing some weight due to the lack of eating. He just doesn't feel hungry most days. We are encouraging dad to drink a lot of water and eat nutritious foods, even if he doesn't feel like eating much. It's is important as we all know.”

His latest MRI is scheduled for tomorrow

It really doesn't look good for Gary Carter

“Unfortunately, parts of his gums are down to the bone, caused by the medications,” Bloemers wrote. “This is very painful and there is not much they can do. It is uncomfortable to drink and eat.

“Dad's appetite has changed dramatically. Although he is still on the steroids, he actually has been losing some weight due to the lack of eating. He just doesn't feel hungry most days. We are encouraging dad to drink a lot of water and eat nutritious foods, even if he doesn't feel like eating much. It's is important as we all know.”

His latest MRI is scheduled for tomorrow

I can't see him lasting past March. A Gary Carter pick was always about "will he get a UK obit?" rather than "will he cark it?" though. I risked my arm and said yes. I've been wrong about this shit before.

I've seen more obscure picks get obits.

I've seen picks that should have got obits and didn't. especially after being mentioned in obits of others that died just weeks before they did.

Peter Arundell for instance, he only got a mention on a couple of blog sites

Dave Boswell a pitcher has died. He was 67

Column: Late Dave Boswell was a character for Twins

Dave Boswell, Pitcher Who Tussled With Billy Martin, Is Dead at 67 - NYTimes.com

"David Wilson Boswell was born in Baltimore on Jan. 20, 1945. He made his major league debut with the Twins late in the 1964 season, pitched against the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 1965 World Series and had a career record of 68-56 for eight major league seasons, seven with the Twins and his last season with the Tigers and the Orioles.

After retiring, he worked for breweries and as a baseball tutor for young players.

Boswell’s death was announced by his son Jason, who said the cause was a heart attack. He is also survived by his wife, Eleanor, known as Lou; his son Daniel; a daughter, Christina Boswell; his sister, Barbara Hatfield; and six grandchildren."

Some of the more astute DDP players may have noticed last year that Paul Bargas, a minor league Baseball player had brain cancer at the age of 22. No-one picked him, probably based on his unlikely obit chances. THey won't have a chance to pick him again - http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/27/twins-minor-leaguer-paul-bargas-dies-of-cancer/ - he's dead at 23.

Chris Duncan ex Cardinal has brain cancer aged 31..though as his mum has it too and still lives he might be around for a wee while... http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/chris-duncan-resists-brain-cancer-mom-does-193459067--mlb.html

Otix Nixon

9bU1cPN.png

The 54 year old who spent 17 years playing in MLB was arrested for possesion of crack cocaine

A nice addition for anyone doing a drug addict theme team next year.

Seattle Mariners coach, Jeff Datz, has cancer.

As a Seattle native and an unfortunate Mariners fan, I have no idea who the hell Jeff Datz is.

Seattle Mariners coach, Jeff Datz, has cancer.

As a Seattle native and an unfortunate Mariners fan, I have no idea who the hell Jeff Datz is.

Lmao. I almost didn't bother posting myself, but he does have a wiki article, so maybe good for something.

• Like 1