CarolAnn

Baseball

On 08/09/2023 at 10:43, whoismakoto said:

Probably only less than 50 around left for AAGPBL. Hopefully some more players waiting to be discovered. I'll try to list those who are still living:

33. Marge Villa

Marge Villa-Cryan dead

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Billy Gardner, who played for the New York Giants (1954-1955), Baltimore Orioles (1956-1959), Yankees (1961-1962) and Red Sox (1962-1963), reportedly dead aged 96. Two time World Series Champion in 1954 and 1961.

• Like 3

Buddy Harrelson, played for the New York Mets (1965-1977), Philadelphia Phillies (1977-1979) and the Texas Rangers (1980), has died aged 79. Later managed the New York Mets (1990-1991).

Obituaries: Daily Mail

• Like 3

On 16/12/2023 at 06:08, Sir Creep said:

The Mets said nine players remain alive from the 1962 team.

Make that 8.

Former longtime Florida State University baseball coach Mike Martin in hospice care for Lewy Body Dementia. College Baseball HOFer and the winningest NCAA coach in any sport. 

IMG_2976.jpeg

• Like 5

On 08/09/2023 at 03:43, whoismakoto said:

Probably only less than 50 around left for AAGPBL. Hopefully some more players waiting to be discovered. I'll try to list those who are still living:

1. Betsy Jochum

2. Ange Armato

3. Chris Ballingall

4. Donna Becker

5. Norma Berger

6. Maybelle Blair

7. Ysora Castillo

8. Cartha Doyle

9. Luisa Gallegos

10. Eileen Gascon

11. Mary Lou Graham

12. Jean Havlish

13. Barb Hoffmann

14. Catherine Horstman

15. Marion Hosbein

16. Kerry Kerrigan

17. Irene Kerwin

18. Gloria McCloskey

19. Anna Meyer

20. Bernice Metesh

21. Mary Moore

22. Toni Palermo

23. Suzanne Parsons

24. Barbara Parks

25. Barbara Payne

26. Betty Jean Peterson

27. Sarah Jane Sands

28. Donna Stageman

29. Beverly Steurt

30. Jeanette Stocker

31. Dolly Vanderlip

32. Virginia Ventura

33. Marge Villa

34. Frances Vukovich

35. Helen Waddell

36. Norma Whitney

37. Lois Youngen

38. Jeananne Descombes

39. Maxine Drinkwater

40. Janet Jamieson

41. Joanne Ogden

42. Ina Dell Towers

43. Marie Mansfield

The batgirls which is similar to ball girls in tennis who are active with AAGPBL reunion

1. Marcia White

2. Nanci Foxx

Then there are the players who AAGPBL said are alive but has lost contact since:

1. Mary Nelson

2. Mary Kimball

You can remove Irene Kerwin (wiki). Died at the end of November aged 98. 

Obit.

90363-6398444Fr.jpg.94a73e24c4d848f0408e3f86f251d97b.jpg

• Like 4

Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg announced on Instagram that he is beginning treatment for metastatic prostate cancer.  How truly sad, both because of the prognosis of this condition and because, well, it would have been entirely preventable if he had simply gone to the doctor for yearly physicals.  It can take up to 8 years, from what I gather, for prostate cancer to metastasize, so he had to go years without a physical.  The average life expectancy with this condition is 21 months, and the 5-year survival rate is 28%.  He's 64 and he's going to die young over something that was completely preventable.  

GET YOUR ANNUAL PHYSICAL, FOLKS.  

• Like 2

On 22/01/2024 at 17:37, MrWonderful said:

Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg announced on Instagram that he is beginning treatment for metastatic prostate cancer.  How truly sad, both because of the prognosis of this condition and because, well, it would have been entirely preventable if he had simply gone to the doctor for yearly physicals.  It can take up to 8 years, from what I gather, for prostate cancer to metastasize, so he had to go years without a physical.  The average life expectancy with this condition is 21 months, and the 5-year survival rate is 28%.  He's 64 and he's going to die young over something that was completely preventable.  

GET YOUR ANNUAL PHYSICAL, FOLKS.  

My uncle died about a year after diagnosis, at 68.  He knew more than the doctors, so no need to go see one.  

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

My uncle died about a year after diagnosis, at 68.  He knew more than the doctors, so no need to go see one.  

I'm sorry to hear that.  And that second part is unfortunate.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrWonderful said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  And that second part is unfortunate.  

I’m just pointing out how correct you are, sir.  Damn stubbornness and stupidity.  I’d like to think it’s dying out with the WWII generation but I highly doubt it. 

Jimy Williams, whose short-lived Major League Baseball career as a player was followed by a lengthy career as a manager, has died. He was 80. Williams managed the Toronto Blue Jays (1986-89), Boston Red Sox (1997-2001) and Houston Astros (2002-2004), winning 910 games combined. He was the 1999 American League 'Manager of the Year'.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39416432/ex-red-sox-blue-jays-astros-manager-jimy-williams-dies-80

image.jpeg.3b12b71b8f51e155716fad79e6d071de.jpeg

• Like 3

Jimmy Williams was born in Santa Maria, California and died in Tarpon Springs, Florida at age 80 in 26 january, as a player he played for the St. Louis Cardinals and as a coach he coached the Toronto Blue Jays, Boston Red Sox, Houston Astros and was part of the coaching staff of the Atlanta Braves in 1995 when they were champions and in 2008 he was champion again as part of the coaching staff of the Philadelphia Phillies

https://jaysjournal.com/posts/ex-blue-jays-manager-jimy-williams-passes-away

220px-Jimy_Williams_crop.jpg

1 hour ago, diego said:

Jimmy Williams was born in Santa Maria, California and died in Tarpon Springs, Florida at age 80 in 26 january, as a player he played for the St. Louis Cardinals and as a coach he coached the Toronto Blue Jays, Boston Red Sox, Houston Astros and was part of the coaching staff of the Atlanta Braves in 1995 when they were champions and in 2008 he was champion again as part of the coaching staff of the Philadelphia Phillies

https://jaysjournal.com/posts/ex-blue-jays-manager-jimy-williams-passes-away

220px-Jimy_Williams_crop.jpg

:clivedunn:

(also you spelt his name wrong)

• Thanks 1

On 08/09/2023 at 10:43, whoismakoto said:

43. Marie Mansfield

Marie Mansfield dead at 92

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

:clivedunn:

(also you spelt his name wrong)

image.thumb.png.54eb53800676620b54778e4e36e0f93a.png

Thank you for pointing out the error, the search really didn't work because of the extra m in the name, but that's because for me it came out like that, I have no idea why it came out like that in the translation
I always put it in English to search, but this time I didn't, I apologize

On 18/01/2024 at 17:14, HDS said:

Former longtime Florida State University baseball coach Mike Martin in hospice care for Lewy Body Dementia. College Baseball HOFer and the winningest NCAA coach in any sport. 

IMG_2976.jpeg

Mike Martin reportedly dead:

Screenshot_20240201_192608_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android_edit_35991739581487.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Mike Martin reportedly dead:

Screenshot_20240201_192608_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android_edit_35991739581487.jpg

On 18/01/2024 at 11:14, HDS said:

IMG_2976.jpeg

In accordance with tradition:

IMG_2977.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Tom “Otis” Hellmann, a longtime clubhouse manager for the Chicago Cubs, died Wednesday at age 67 after a recent fall.

Hellmann was entering his 51st year in baseball and 42nd in the Cubs organisation, serving as home clubhouse manager for 23 years.

SC

14 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

John Pregenzer, who pitched for the San Francisco Giants in 1963 and 1964, has died at 91.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/john-pregenzer-obituary?id=54273533

IMG_9151.png

“The name may be forgotten now, but the John Pregenzer Fan Club reached as far as the White House, had its own navy and secret salute, and sold its own sweatshirts. It hosted at least two fancy San Francisco dinners for Pregenzer — the same number of wins he would have in his major league career — and San Francisco’s mayor gave him the key to the city.”

Great article about a nobody ball player with a 3000 person fan club.  https://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/giants-cult-hero-john-pregenzer-17365644.php

Don Gullett, player and later coach for the Cincinnati Reds during both of their World Series wins during the 70s, earning the team the name "The Big Red Machine", dead at 73.

Previously suffered heart attacks in the 1980s and 1990s and was discovered to have unknowingly lent his land to the growing of 800 Cannabis plants (under the supervision of his brother) in 1977.

Screenshot_20240214_202633_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android_edit_105557945617747.jpg

• Like 2