CarolAnn

Baseball

Tim Wakefield dead at 57.

Amazon.com: 2005 Topps # 74 Tim Wakefield Boston Red Sox (Baseball Card)  NM/MT Red Sox : Collectibles & Fine Art

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

On 08/09/2023 at 10:43, whoismakoto said:

Probably only less than 50 around left for AAGPBL. Hopefully some more players waiting to be discovered. I'll try to list those who are still living:

4. Donna Becker

AAGPBL announcing her death

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, whoismakoto said:

AAGPBL announcing her death

Just a note for future reference.

If you are notifying a death and it isn't in a named thread (Jimmy Carter, George Alagiah etc) then in order for your post to be searchable, you must repeat the name of the deceased (your original post doesn't show up in the search for your new post because it is quoted). Then we won't get another poster who sees your earlier post but not the one above and rushes to notify the Forum of her death (I know, unlikely in this case) only to be told that you have already told us all.

I don't know how many times regular posters have to tell folk this.

Not your fault, just please do this, thanks.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Just a note for future reference.

If you are notifying a death and it isn't in a named thread (Jimmy Carter, George Alagiah etc) then in order for your post to be searchable, you must repeat the name of the deceased (your original post doesn't show up in the search for your new post because it is quoted). Then we won't get another poster who sees your earlier post but not the one above and rushes to notify the Forum of her death (I know, unlikely in this case) only to be told that you have already told us all.

I don't know how many times regular posters have to tell folk this.

Not your fault, just please do this, thanks.

Does this make sense? I'm very tired at 01:30hrs here!

I meant to mention this earlier, somebody else did the same thing some hours ago - was it Chris Snow?

Acht.

7 hours ago, tracy said:

Tim Wakefield dead at 57.

Amazon.com: 2005 Topps # 74 Tim Wakefield Boston Red Sox (Baseball Card)  NM/MT Red Sox : Collectibles & Fine Art

Should note his wife also got pancreatic cancer, but I’m assuming that’s an easy no go for the ddp as she’s very much a fringe pick…

Pete Ladd, who pitched in over 200 games combined for the Houston Astros, Milwaukee Brewers and Seattle Mariners between 1979 and 1986, has died. He was 67. Ladd's career pinnacle was when he helped advanced the Brewers to the 1982 World Series, taking over as closer from an injured Rollie Fingers.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2023/10/21/milwaukee-brewers-relief-pitcher-closer-pete-ladd-has-died-1982-world-series-team/71274313007/

image.png.55c78f7a3dbecbe14904b6c220148249.png

• Like 1

Rob Gardner, pitcher for Mets, Cubs, Indians, Yankees, A's, Yankees (again) A's (again) finishing up with the Brewers, in a 9-year ML career, has died aged 78.

ROB GARDNER NEW YORK METS 1967 | Frank Kelsey | Flickr

Still holds the Mets record for the most-innings shutout (15, v Phillies in 1965).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Frank Howard, player for the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Texas Rangers, dead at 87.

Screenshot_20231030_205018_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android_edit_112760517170814.jpg

He was well known as a Washington Senator, even the bloody baseball card you attached is from that team.  I saw him play when I was a wean.

BTW Frank Howard was one of only three players to ever hit a home run over the left field roof in Tiger Stadium; the other two being Harmon Killebrew and Cecil Fielder.  I attended a game where Cecil hit one onto the LF roof but it rolled back into the stadium, so pretty damn close.

SC

Probably only less than 50 around left for AAGPBL. Hopefully some more players waiting to be discovered. I'll try to list those who are still living:

5. Norma Berger

Norma Berger announced dead

• Like 1

Another Senator, Dennis Higgins, pitcher with a lifetime 22-23 & 46 saves record, has died aged 84.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.deanscards.com%2Fthirdparty%2F4358665f.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=8d7e71874115b108d32c99c4f44203d75cdc806218ec43b659fed1d083d6eded&ipo=images

He began with the White Sox, moved to the Senators, where he spent 2 seasons (his most successful, 4 wins, 13 saves & 10 wins 16 saves), before being traded to the Indians (1 season), and finishing his career at St. Louis.

And another Senator (like the entry above) has died. Dave Stenhouse, who pitched for three years in the 1960s for the Washington Senators, mostly out of the rotation, has died. He was 90. Stenhouse's son Mike also made the Major Leagues, playing parts of five seasons in the early 1980s for various teams.

https://www.abc6.com/former-major-leaguer-brown-baseball-coach-dave-stenhouse-dies-at-90/

image.png.648d543372797ee9d9c632579f2b2918.png

On 11/11/2023 at 18:26, alt obits guy said:

And another Senator (like the entry above) has died. Dave Stenhouse, who pitched for three years in the 1960s for the Washington Senators, mostly out of the rotation, has died. He was 90. Stenhouse's son Mike also made the Major Leagues, playing parts of five seasons in the early 1980s for various teams.

https://www.abc6.com/former-major-leaguer-brown-baseball-coach-dave-stenhouse-dies-at-90/

image.png.648d543372797ee9d9c632579f2b2918.png

Christ sake he looks 60 in his playing days.

30. Jeanette Stocker

Jeanette Stocker reported dead

• Like 1