Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

James Van Allen, 91, undisclosed causes.

Now we see if a UK obit emerges... I could use the 4 points... <_<

I'm sure he'll get one in The Guardian. I am starting to suspect that their obits editor reads this site. :)

Interesting.

I could come over all iain-esque and say that Patrick Allen and James Van Allen are dead, and Charles Allen is sacked at ITV therefore means Woody Allen's death is immiment.

But I won't.

The scoreboards' too difficult to work out (Allen, Butcher, Hart & Van Allen all potentially need updating) but this will help you move up a little bit and make up for your Ronnie Corbett selection. :)

Huzzah!

I have learnt recently that just 4 of the remaining 18 of my DDP selections are healthy & active & very likely to make it to the year's end. The other 14 are tormenting me. <_<

The scoreboards' too difficult to work out (Allen, Butcher, Hart & Van Allen all potentially need updating) but this will help you move up a little bit and make up for your Ronnie Corbett selection. :P

Huzzah!

I have learnt recently that just 4 of the remaining 18 of my DDP selections are healthy & active & very likely to make it to the year's end. The other 14 are tormenting me. :(

Corbett was my 21st one, I just sort of put a name there because I didn't expect Norman Vaughn to die in December as he ended up doing. Frustrating. <_<

You're still better off than me OoO. If I recall correctly, most of my selections are healthy & active. :) In fact, I was really surprised to see that Mr. Van Allen had capped off. And my joker, Mr. Pinter, is by no means certain at this stage...

Interesting.

I could come over all iain-esque and say that Patrick Allen and James Van Allen are dead, and Charles Allen is sacked at ITV therefore means Woody Allen's death is immiment.

But I won't.

The scoreboards' too difficult to work out (Allen, Butcher, Hart & Van Allen all potentially need updating) but this will help you move up a little bit and make up for your Ronnie Corbett selection. :)

Huzzah!

I have learnt recently that just 4 of the remaining 18 of my DDP selections are healthy & active & very likely to make it to the year's end. The other 14 are tormenting me. <_<

Still doing better than me, apart from Tony Banks I've not had a single hit since January 8th

I seriously need to rethink my picks for next year

Still doing better than me, apart from Tony Banks I've not had a single hit since January 8th

Phantom, Tony Banks wasn't chosen by anybody, least of all yourself, in the DDP? <_<

Phantom, Tony Banks wasn't chosen by anybody, least of all yourself, in the DDP? <_<

not in the DDP, but he's the only hit I've got on the DP I'm doing for money :)

Guest iain

He was responsible for naming the Van Allen radiation belt so hes a very famoous guy.More famous than most of the people on the actual deathlist.maybe we're starting a spate of astronomers dropping dead...anyone know what Patrick Moores condition is these days?

...anyone know what Patrick Moores condition is these days?

No, no, I wouldn't know where to start.

Mods, maybe we should start a Patrick Moore thread so we can post any relevant news about Mr Moore there?

<_<

...anyone know what Patrick Moores condition is these days?

No, no, I wouldn't know where to start.

Mods, maybe we should start a Patrick Moore thread so we can post any relevant news about Mr Moore there?

<_<

I thought there was a thread on Patrick Moore

I am guessing from the <_< and that fact that iain is involved that Star Crossed was employing the device known as sarcasm.

I am guessing from the <_< and that fact that iain is involved that Star Crossed was employing the device known as sarcasm.

*sips his coffee, rub his eyes* I probably need another coffee to wake myself up to get my sarcasm filter to work. :)

Even though he's been mentioned in near misses and the not really famous thread.

Let's start off with American talk show host, Mike Douglas who passed away on his 81st birthday

Isn't this thread just a second 'near misses' thread.

I've never heard of Mike Douglas, I've heard of a Michale Douglas though.

Then again, I'm not one of these members who act as though they are after a degree on deadpools...

Those who die on there birthday, I don't even want to figure out the odds. Well they always say your death date is your birthday in heaven. This man lived 81 years - No less - No more.

Isn't there a thread somewhere for people who died on their birthday?

Those who die on there birthday, I don't even want to figure out the odds. Well they always say your death date is your birthday in heaven. This man lived 81 years - No less - No more.

Well that all depends. If he was born at 12.45 and he died at 12.10, he would not quite be 81 years, he'd be a wee bitty short.

On the other hand if he died at 12.55, he'd be 81 years and 10 minutes old - a little over the aforementioned 81 years only.

Well that all depends. If he was born at 12.45 and he died at 12.10, he would not quite be 81 years, he'd be a wee bitty short.

On the other hand if he died at 12.55, he'd be 81 years and 10 minutes old - a little over the aforementioned 81 years only.

My mistake Mr.Stats. I was statistically wrong.

Those who die on there birthday, I don't even want to figure out the odds.

I'm no maths genius but, one in 365 might be close. Hang on, he wasn't born in a leap year, so um... nope. I'll stick with one in 365. Any advances?

On your birthday:

I'm no mathematician but surely for most of us it's 1 in 365 and for Feb 29th babies it's 1 in 1431 ( 4 x 365 + 1 (to allow for Feb 29th)

On your birthday:

I'm no mathematician but surely for most of us it's 1 in 365 and for Feb 29th babies it's 1 in 1431 ( 4 x 365 + 1 (to allow for Feb 29th)

I'd say 1 in 365.25* because in a leap year you're just as likely to die on Feb 29th as an other given day of the year.

*not precisely 365.25 because there is no leap year in a century year unless it's divisible by 400 i.e. 1700, 1800 & 1900 weren't leap years but 1600 & 2000 were. I can't be arsed to work out the difference that makes to the probabilities, but not a great deal.

Duke Jordan ther jazz pianist is dead

Crapopedia listings aside, it turns out Ipod got it right....(this time)...as is shown here...

August 13, 2006

Duke Jordan, 84, jazz pianist who helped build bebop

By Tim Weiner

New York Times

Duke Jordan, a pianist whose work with the saxophonist Charlie Parker endures in the jazz canon, died Tuesday in Valby, Denmark, a suburb of Copenhagen. He was 84, and he had lived in self-imposed exile from the United States since 1978, continuing to perform in the musical tradition he helped create.

His death was confirmed by Alistair Thomson, a spokesman for the U.S. Embassy in Denmark.

Jordan was regarded as one of the great early bebop pianists. The sound that he helped to create in the postwar era was something new in the American landscape, and it remains a cornerstone of jazz.

His work with Parker, soared with a lilting intensity. It was hard-driving and lyrical, heady and heartfelt, said Ira Gitler, a jazz critic who heard Jordan and Parker in 1947, at the Onyx Club and the Three Deuces, two long-vanished nightclubs on West 52nd Street in Manhattan.

A handful of recordings from 1947 and 1948 featuring Parker, along with Miles Davis on trumpet, Jordan on piano and Max Roach on drums, are considered masterpieces. They include "Embraceable You," "Crazeology," and "Scrapple From the Apple."

Bebop -- its nonsense name often credited to the trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie -- was nothing like the orchestral jazz of the 1930s, made for ballroom dancing. It was fast, furious, intricate and improvised. Musicians took the basic structures of the blues or standards like "I Got Rhythm" and turned them inside out, embellishing their chords with cascades of notes. In Jordan's hands, the piano, freed from keeping metronomic time, became a fountain of melody and color.

Classically trained, he had a gift for composing...

Murray Walker must be ripe to clock out sometime soon :(

Guest Guest
Judith Thomas Stark, a dancer turned philanthropist who supported artists and art institutions, has died. She was 96