Magere Hein

Ideas and possibilities for 2008

Now who was responsible for Kevin Keegan?

Mr & Mrs Keegan.

I meant the famous Keegan perm :D

I've got bigger, ecclesiastical fish to fry.

I always find battering more effective. But here's one for you :D

If only he'd hung on for a few more weeks...... One hell of an obit mind, summat written that well does highlight the distance between people who've done summat with their lives and the flash in the pan specemins some us line up to knock down on the DDP. That obit packs loads of information and a real sense of the man. Might busy myself having a look at him online.

I've got bigger, ecclesiastical fish to fry.

I always find battering more effective. But here's one for you :unsure:

If only he'd hung on for a few more weeks...... One hell of an obit mind, summat written that well does highlight the distance between people who've done summat with their lives and the flash in the pan specemins some us line up to knock down on the DDP. That obit packs loads of information and a real sense of the man. Might busy myself having a look at him online.

One of that chap's (not uncontroversial from my point of view) achievements, which strangely is not mentioned in that article, was to have baptised me! I was a defenceless baby at the time. ;)

I have his autograph on my birth certificate. :D

^

Respect Captain O, you were dipped in the font by a leading thinker in the twentieth century paleo-orthodox movement. :D

Anyway, back to business - the world's oldest mother Carmen Bousada, 67, who, with the help of IVF, gave birth to twin boys last year, has been diagnosed with cancer.

Guest David F.

You guys are WEAK!!! We do a dead pool every year. We each pick 20 names and the winner always has at least 10. If you are getting 10-14 on a list of 50, you are obviously not spending enough time at the bar drinking and discussing this very important topic. I suggest a weekly meeting for your group to discuss this issue that is vital to world affairs. I think your spouses will all be very happy once you've arranged this weekly meeting of the deathlist crew. I enjoy my dozen-or-so hours per year researching and competing in this fine event. David (anyone wants to join ours next year, e-mail me at dvfco@optonline.net, I'll send you our 2007 pool up 'till today.

By the way, I was glad to find your site. High quality and yet, morbid. Excellent work.

you are obviously not spending enough time at the bar drinking

Yes. I think you're right.

You guys are WEAK!!! We do a dead pool every year. We each pick 20 names and the winner always has at least 10. If you are getting 10-14 on a list of 50, you are obviously not spending enough time at the bar drinking and discussing this very important topic. I suggest a weekly meeting for your group to discuss this issue that is vital to world affairs. I think your spouses will all be very happy once you've arranged this weekly meeting of the deathlist crew. I enjoy my dozen-or-so hours per year researching and competing in this fine event. David (anyone wants to join ours next year, e-mail me at dvfco@optonline.net, I'll send you our 2007 pool up 'till today.

By the way, I was glad to find your site. High quality and yet, morbid. Excellent work.

So do we, it's called the Derby Deadpool....

Jeopardy host Alex Trebek suffered what is described as a minor heart attack, so he won't almost certainly won't be on the list next year. Very famous in the US, but have any non N. Americans heard of him?

his life's in Jeopardy, bay-bee

John A Keel was on my long list for picks on most deadpools for 2008 but the latest Wiki update has him recovering and on top form mentally. Still diabetic, mind, summat that keeps vanishing from his Wiki page. So at 77 with the cumulative impact of all his health problems, he won't last too much longer.

Jeopardy host Alex Trebek suffered what is described as a minor heart attack, so he won't almost certainly won't be on the list next year. Very famous in the US, but have any non N. Americans heard of him?

his life's in Jeopardy, bay-bee

Will he outlast Connery though?..."I'll get you Trebek!" :lol:

I thought she'd be a decent pick for a deadpool, so she's on my CPDP theme team. She seems to be following in her mothers footsteps to a sad slow decline. Liza is quoted as saying it wasn't an overdose or cirrhosis that killed her mother at 47. Liza, at 61, may be on borrowed time.

It is - of course - entirely possible that Liza wasn't dealing from a full deck when she said:

It wasn’t suicide, it wasn’t sleeping pills, it wasn’t cirrhosis. I think she was just tired, like a flower that blooms and gives joy and beauty to the world and then wilts away." ~ Liza Minnelli

I ran six miles this morning, I'm tired, I'll ring the surgery and check if it's likely to be fatal shall I?

Hank Kaplan, "The Lord of The Ring", the world's foremost expert on the history of boxing, is seriously ill. His fame is a little dubious, but he should get a UK obit as he used to be boxing consultant for The Times. I'm putting him on my DDP if he makes it to 2008. pcguru.gif

dead

It is - of course - entirely possible that Liza wasn't dealing from a full deck when she said:

It wasn’t suicide, it wasn’t sleeping pills, it wasn’t cirrhosis. I think she was just tired, like a flower that blooms and gives joy and beauty to the world and then wilts away." ~ Liza Minnelli

I ran six miles this morning, I'm tired, I'll ring the surgery and check if it's likely to be fatal shall I?

OK , I'll do my best to translate this....

In the American dialect,

It wasn't suicide, it wasn't sleeping pills, it wasn't cirrhosis. I think she was just tired like a flower that blooms etc, etc
means, roughly: A'd rather fool meesell tha' admit i' wuz the peeve an pills that killed her, like.

BTW do you often run six miles in the morning? I can't imagine myself ever doing that unless something really huge and hairy was chasing me, and all the while I'd be desperately scanning the horizon in search of a tree to climb to escape Bigfoot or whatever it was.

Julia Carson, Indianapolis' first African-American Congresswoman, has terminal lung cancer.

Would she get an obit?

Not a chance. Julia Carson will get minor coverage from CNN\The Washington post but as far as the DDP required obituary goes she is nothing more then a waste of space. It's a shame because she won't make spring time.

No need to worry about her obit in the UK. She's...

DEAD

Julia Carson, Indianapolis' first African-American Congresswoman, has terminal lung cancer.

Would she get an obit?

Not a chance. Julia Carson will get minor coverage from CNN\The Washington post but as far as the DDP required obituary goes she is nothing more then a waste of space. It's a shame because she won't make spring time.

No need to worry about her obit in the UK. She's...

DEAD

There goes a prime pick for the WDP.....harrumph! ;)

Canadian Broadcaster (and UK obit longshot) Don Wittman's cancer has metastasized, and the prognosis is not good.

Don Wittman Fighting Cancer

Re the DDP, what are his chances of high(ish) profile US obits?

BTW do you often run six miles in the morning? I can't imagine myself ever doing that unless something really huge and hairy was chasing me, and all the while I'd be desperately scanning the horizon in search of a tree to climb to escape Bigfoot or whatever it was.

Sometimes, yeah. Though as the long-timers around here know I'm more partial to hurtling along on my collection of bikes(as in mountain and racing, not motor). A habit that's landed me in hospital before now.

Canadian Broadcaster (and UK obit longshot) Don Wittman's cancer has metastasized, and the prognosis is not good.

Don Wittman Fighting Cancer

Re the DDP, what are his chances of high(ish) profile US obits?

I would say he's likely to get an obit in the NY Times and also on CNN

So with this:

"I've got cancer and it metastasized," Wittman, a Hebert, Sask., native and a resident of Winnipeg since 1961, told the Free Press. "This could be the end of the line. They've told me the prognosis is not good."

on the thread he looks a good pick. Older than Christo - the joker - doulus mind.

So with this:

"I've got cancer and it metastasized," Wittman, a Hebert, Sask., native and a resident of Winnipeg since 1961, told the Free Press. "This could be the end of the line. They've told me the prognosis is not good."

on the thread he looks a good pick. Older than Christo - the joker - doulus mind.

I'm tiring of this stuff a little bit. Last night I was making a list of "hopefuls" and I hadn't heard of any of them although there was one or two I should have known about. Wittman is not one of them. Whether or not he is obit material he's just not in the right league. I'm coming round to Cowboy Ronnie's point. There is a difference between the Deathlist and deadpooling. Deadpooling is becoming a bit weird. I no more wanted to study progressive cancers than I wanted to be an undertaker, yet it helps to know this stuff to have any chance of winning a deadpool.

So I now have two lists. The list I would like to play and the list of nonentities that I know has a better chance of getting points. Whichever I do play it's going to be Godot's last list.