Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

Director Bob Clark, best known for classics such as "A Christmas Story" and "Porky's" has met his end in a car crash.

Director Bob Clark, best known for classics such as "A Christmas Story" and "Porky's" has met his end in a car crash.

I really hate it when people link to registration screens. :huh: Wonder if I've ever done it?

I really hate it when people link to registration screens. :huh: Wonder if I've ever done it?

Sorry. I forgot that I can access registration links under a UCSD proxy. Here's the article:

Director of 'A Christmas Story,' son killed in PCH crash

By Andrew Blankstein, Times Staff Writer

2:04 PM PDT, April 4, 2007

Director Bob Clark

Director Bob Clark

click to enlarge

The films of Bob Clark

Photo Gallery

The films of Bob Clark

Film director Bob Clark and his son Ariel were killed in an early morning collision along a stretch of Pacific Coast Highway in Pacific Palisades, authorities said.

Clark directed the classic holiday film "A Christmas Story" in 1983 and was the producer of the "Porky's" films, along with about two dozen other features.

The crash was reported about 2:20 a.m. on PCH just south of Bay Club Drive. Police said Clark, 67, of Pacific Palisades, and his son, who was 22 and lived in Santa Monica, were pronounced dead at the scene.

LAPD investigators said Clark was driving a 1997 Infiniti Q-30 sedan southbound on PCH when the driver of a GMC Yukon, Hector Velazquez-Nava, 24, of Los Angeles swerved and hit the Clark vehicle head-on.

The road was closed until about 10:40 a.m. while authorities investigated.

Nava and his passenger, Lydia Mora, 29, of Asuza, were transported to a local hospital, where they were treated for minor injuries, said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon. Mora was later released.

Nava was found to be driving under the influence of alcohol and operating a motor vehicle without a driver's license. After treatment, he will be booked on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and gross vehicular manslaughter, Vernon said.

Clark produced, directed and co-wrote "A Christmas Story."

Set in the 1940s and adapted from humorist Jean Shepherd's novel "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash," "A Christmas Story" stars Peter Billingsly as Ralphie, a young boy determined to get a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas.

The film was not an immediate box office bonanza, but it has grown in popularity over the years.

In a 1997 interview with The Times, Clark said the movie has struck a chord with audiences because it deals with a "special time and special feeling. Shepherd's material had the truth and heart in it."

Clark had a prolific movie and TV directing career that spanned four decades. In addition to producing and directing the cult classic "Porky's" and it first sequel, he also directed "Turk 182"; "Rhinestone" with Dolly Parton and Sylvester Stallone; "Loose Cannons," a Gene Hackman-Dan Aykroyd cop buddy comedy; "From the Hip," and "Baby Geniuses."

The "Porky's" franchise was a surprise hit and took years to get off the ground. At first, Hollywood studios rejected the pitches for the film. The franchise went on to earn more than $150 million domestically, according to boxofficemojo.com

The films were based on Clark's experiences during the '50s a with his high school buddies in Florida.

In a 1985 interview with The Times, co-writer Roger Swaybill talked about how Clark dictated the outline for the movie into a cassette recorder while sick.

"I was weeping with laughter," Swaybill said then. "I became convinced that I was sharing in the birth of a major moment in movie history. It was the funniest film story I had ever heard."

Guest Guest

I found that Sewell was selected on the DDP.

I found that Sewell was selected on the DDP.

Yeah, by three teams, a first hit of the year for two of them. Well done to them, and to Crazycarl who gets a UK obit from the Guardian as I predicted. :huh:Guardian do it again

Shame to lose Sewell. Maybe this'll be the start of an Easter rush as often happens?

well known Briitish actor George Sewell has died at 82

I saw him on stage about 10 years ago in 'The Homecoming'..pity he died.

Probably the customary 'short illness'...

I saw him on stage about 10 years ago in 'The Homecoming'..pity he died.

Probably the customary 'short illness'...

Cancer, according to this. http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.p...rge-sewell-dies

And 3 picked him on DDP...somebody was on the inside track!

:huh:

Italian movie director Luigi Comencini has died at the age of 90

Good point Whitehouse. I didn't understand your venom at first but now I do. Townie 1488, you're either an idiot or a Nazi or both. In any case you are beneath contempt.

You will believe in Mermaids, Pixies & pots of gold at the end of rainbows also, no doubt. Along with the Hoax of the 20th century.

I have no doubt in my mind that in 50 years, if you'll ever live the day, you will absolutely deny 9-11 did happen. Guess you'll call that the great CNN hoax...

(Apologies for the late reply. I had an internet daught of five days. So bear with me.

Thanks.)

Calvin Lockhart

Bahamian-born actor has died aged 72.

Appeared in "Cotton Comes to Harlem" and as the character Biggie Smalls in "Let's Do It Again" (starring Bill Cosby and Sidney Poitier), then many "blaxploitation" films in the 70s. Also was an actor in residence with the RSC in Stratford for a time. Later appeared in "Dynasty" and had minor roles in "Coming to America," "Wild at Heart" and "Predator 2".

Guitarist Mark St.John has died at the age of 51. He was briefly a member of "KISS", going on to form the band "White Tiger".

Brian Miller, a legendary player & manager for Burnley F.C. and a former capped international by England has died, aged 70.

The 2nd Burnley manager to die in a short space of time. The likes of Chris Waddle ought to start worrying - these things happen in threes... :huh:

Brian Miller, a legendary player & manager for Burnley F.C. and a former capped international by England has died, aged 70.

The 2nd Burnley manager to die in a short space of time. The likes of Chris Waddle ought to start worrying - these things happen in threes... :ph34r:

Stan Ternent has a dodgy ticker....but I'd wager on Jimmy Adamson being the next ex-Burnley manager to..er burn...

1000!

1000!

Congratulations! ...er 't'

Perhaps you need a few more initals! :ph34r:

Jimmy Lee Smith whose story was told in Joseph Wambaugh's book "The Onion Field", has died in prison aged 76.

Comic strip creator Johnny Hart, famous for B.C. and The Wizard of Id, has died.

Didn't see that one coming.

Jazz saxophonist and all-female band leader Peggy Gilbert died way back on 12th Feb at the spritely age of 102!

Interesrtingly (in more ways than one!) her IMDB entry notes "Survived by her companion of more than 60 years, Kay Boley, a former vaudeville performer and contortionist whom she met when they appeared at the same nightclub"

Tonight I have realized that I am here for other reasons then death.

whats that then