Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

Victor Kneale. Manxman and Former Speaker of the House of Keys

http://www.iomonline.co.im/ViewArticle2.as...ticleID=2678831

Now, that's got me thinking. A while back we had a thread about whether a Belgian could make the Deathlist. After much discussion - there were at least 12 posts - we kinda came to a consensus that every nation on earth could have someone on the list because heads of state, at least, would get a broadsheet obit, even if they were - like - Tongan or summat.

But, I wonder, if we exclude famous incomers buying homes on Britain's islands, how many of those said islands have a native famous enough for the DL? I mean, Evelyn Glennie is from Islay so some definitely count but......could a native Manx person, other than Handrejka, make the DL?

Actually I'm English.

I think I've mentioned Sir Frank Kermode before and there was the late Nigel Kneale of course. Roy Dotrice and John Savident were born in Guernsey. I'm not sure about the other islands.

Not exactly famous, but I would expect Norman John Gillies, the last surviving person to have been born on St Kilda, will get a mention when he goes.

Also, Norman Lamont was born in the Shetland Islands.

John Ritchie, "A star centre forward who scored more than 170 goals for Stoke City" has died aged 65:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2054049,00.html

Bloody hell, that was reported over 5 weeks ago. Shows how quick the Guardian is in picking up news if it's not copied from America. :referee:

Langford's death is surely double karma considering The ACCIDENT Group & the fact he ended a life by dangerous driving. I don't suppose he will be missed by many.

John Ritchie, "A star centre forward who scored more than 170 goals for Stoke City" has died aged 65:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2054049,00.html

Bloody hell, that was reported over 5 weeks ago. Shows how quick the Guardian is in picking up news if it's not copied from America. :referee:

Langford's death is surely double karma considering The ACCIDENT Group & the fact he ended a life by dangerous driving. I don't suppose he will be missed by many.

I'm guessing his creditors, including the Inland Revenue will feel a certain loss at his passing. His business life was bordering on meltdown if you believe The Sun.

Apparently Dave Martin, co-creator of robot dog K-9 in Doctor Who, has died....

No links yet.

No links yet.

Here's one

That story above in full:

09 April 2007

David Martin, age 72, succumbed to lung cancer at the end of March. He lived in the town, on South St.

Mr Martin wrote for the Dr Who series and invented K9 – the robot dog.

Reporting on the cutting edge in Bridport, eh?

Terry Hall, who was one of the earliest children's television entertainers, along with his sidekick Lenny the Lion, has died after a long illness, aged 80.

Has Lenny died too?

word is Lenny met his demise in a triple spin cycle in Terrys washing machine

No links yet.

Here's one

thats a shame-Ive only just finished watching last years episode of Doctor Who with K9 in it . :referee:

Kaiser Wilhelm II's last surviving grandson has died at the age of 85.

Guest Shuffler
In 2000, William Thornley, 73, died when he was knocked down by Mr Langford's Ferrari near Manchester United's Old Trafford ground. Mr Langford was fined £1,000 after being found guilty of careless driving but was cleared of causing death by dangerous driving. He was earlier banned for 22 months for drink-driving and had only had his licence returned to him six months before the fatal crash."

... it's also wort pointing out that Nick "Mr Loophole" Freeman acted as his solicitor in the above case.

French free diver Loic Leferme has drowned

thats a shame-Ive only just finished watching last years episode of Doctor Who with K9 in it . :referee:

Dave, Dave, Iain, Dave.

It's such lovely weather right now. Go out & enjoy the sunshine instead of staying in and watching Dr. Who & Michael Foot on BBC Parliament. Too much TV is bad for you.

Unless, of course, you live somewhere with lots of chavvy kids (like me :( ), in which case staying in is then somewhat understandable.

French free diver Loic Leferme has drowned

Free at last, then!

In 2000, William Thornley, 73, died when he was knocked down by Mr Langford's Ferrari near Manchester United's Old Trafford ground. Mr Langford was fined £1,000 after being found guilty of careless driving but was cleared of causing death by dangerous driving. He was earlier banned for 22 months for drink-driving and had only had his licence returned to him six months before the fatal crash."

... it's also wort pointing out that Nick "Mr Loophole" Freeman acted as his solicitor in the above case.

That Freeman deserves to have Karma too. Run over perhaps. By a speeding Premiership footballer...

Actor Roscoe Lee Browne, who provided the deep-voiced narration to the film "Babe" has died aged 81.

An interesting aside, he also recorded a world record time in the 800 metres in Paris in 1951.

Actor Roscoe Lee Browne, who provided the deep-voiced narration to the film "Babe" has died aged 81.

An interesting aside, he also recorded a world record time in the 800 metres in Paris in 1851.

He must have been helluvan old.

An interesting aside, he also recorded a world record time in the 800 metres in Paris in 1851.

He must have been helluvan old.

OK, clever clogs! I meant 1951 (now edited). Teach me to spend so much time researching my family tree - I feel like I'm living most of my life in the 19th century at the moment!

An interesting aside, he also recorded a world record time in the 800 metres in Paris in 1951.

an interesting combo - the former sportsman/woman turned actor/actress. A list would include:

- Jim Brown

- OJ Simpson

- Pele, Bobby Moore, Ossie Ardilles et al in "Victory" (although that was only barely acting)

- Esther Williams and others of those swimmer women who went on to make the synchronised swimming films of the 40's and 50's

- Johnny Weismuller, one of the Tarzans, was an Olympic swimmer

- Harald Sakata who played Oddjob in Goldfinger was a boxing or weightlifting medallist

- Mitch Gaylord

The above is a bit Yankcentric at the moment, so DL'ers from around the world, please feel free to add. And before anyone makes snide remarks about wrong thread, quite a few of the above are dead, and as no one off the DL is dying this year I say the more off topic the post, the better.

an interesting combo - the former sportsman/woman turned actor/actress. A list would include:

- Jim Brown

- OJ Simpson

- Pele, Bobby Moore, Ossie Ardilles et al in "Victory" (although that was only barely acting)

- Esther Williams and others of those swimmer women who went on to make the synchronised swimming films of the 40's and 50's

- Johnny Weismuller, one of the Tarzans, was an Olympic swimmer

- Harald Sakata who played Oddjob in Goldfinger was a boxing or weightlifting medallist

- Mitch Gaylord

The above is a bit Yankcentric at the moment, so DL'ers from around the world, please feel free to add. And before anyone makes snide remarks about wrong thread, quite a few of the above are dead, and as no one off the DL is dying this year I say the more off topic the post, the better.

Ronnie,

Don't forget Bruce Bennet too, he was an olympic shot putter and turned to acting in the early 30s

Vinnie Jones - footballer/actor

Gary Lineker - footballer/star of crisp commercials

Arnold Schwarzenegger - body builder/politician/actor

All still living but didn't Schwarzenegger have a heart bypass so maybe the stress of politics will take it's toll.

Vinnie Jones - footballer/actor

Gary Lineker - footballer/star of crisp commercials

Arnold Schwarzenegger - body builder/politician/actor

All still living but didn't Schwarzenegger have a heart bypass so maybe the stress of politics will take it's toll.

whatever happened to Eric Cantona? he had a brief role in the movie Elizabeth but that was about it

From the world of motor racing first, THEN into film:-

Val Musetti, Bruce Kessler, Boris Said, Stefan de Groodt, Joie Chitwood, Jon Herb, Speed Gardner, John Wunderlich, Hideshi Matsuda, Louis Tomei, porbably quite a few more.

There's a lot more the other way, of course including potential DL picks Paul Newman & Walter Cronkite.

thats a shame-Ive only just finished watching last years episode of Doctor Who with K9 in it . :(

Dave, Dave, Iain, Dave.

It's such lovely weather right now. Go out & enjoy the sunshine instead of staying in and watching Dr. Who & Michael Foot on BBC Parliament. Too much TV is bad for you.

Unless, of course, you live somewhere with lots of chavvy kids (like me :( ), in which case staying in is then somewhat understandable.

Its been cloudy and cool here most of the past week,and I have no car.And there are gangs of chavs roaming around outside so very dangerous to venture outside on foot.

Val Musetti, Bruce Kessler, Boris Said, Stefan de Groodt, Joie Chitwood, Jon Herb, Speed Gardner, John Wunderlich, Hideshi Matsuda, Louis Tomei, porbably quite a few more.

There's a lot more the other way, of course including potential DL picks Paul Newman & Walter Cronkite.

Michael Schumacher is making a good job of playing a twat in the latest Fiat commercial.

Not to mention the - mainly - wooden turns of a smattering of the sixties grand prix circus as featured in the movie Grand Prix, on recollection I think Graham Hill, predictably almost pulls of a decent performance wheras a few others - like Jo Bonnier - are bad enough to suggest their time on set required the attention of a jobbing carpenter.