Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

Guest Guest
"Bill Johnston, a leading member of Don Bradman's 1948 "Invincibles" Ashes touring squad, has died in Sydney at the age of 85":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6690423.stm

"His death leaves five surviving members of that unbeaten side.

They are Arthur Morris, Neil Harvey, Sam Loxton, Ron Hamence and Bill Brown, who at 94 is Australia's oldest living Test player."

He was selected on the DDP as well.

Still not so much as a whisper in the UK or US press on the death of Bartholomew Ulufa'alu. One of the giants of post war Melanesian politics dies and is totally ignored north of the equator. (With the honourable exception of The Turkish Daily News, who gave him a full obit)

We are supposedly living in a globalised society, yet readers of the western media remain in blissful ignorance of the goings on in vast swathes of the world, but remarkably well informed on the finer details of Brittney Spear's underwear habits and Lindsey Lohan's social calendar. I despair :crossbone:

Maybe Bart will get justice in one of the broadsheets next week. His death, along with Mullah Dadulla's demise have left the prospects of an amputee theme team in the CPDP looking rather bleak.

Maybe Bart will get justice in one of the broadsheets next week. His death, along with Mullah Dadulla's demise have left the prospects of an amputee theme team in the CPDP looking rather bleak.

Never fear - surely Reg Gutteridge is a fine replacement for Mr Ulu'falu...

South African Percy Sonn, head of the ICC (International Cricket Council) has died aged 57 following complications after minor surgery.

"He returned to the Caribbean to present Australia with their trophy but his health deteriorated on his return to his homeland"

(OK, so it's in the I & P thread, but thought I'd better list it here where it belongs also)

Never fear - surely Reg Gutteridge is a fine replacement for Mr Ulu'falu...

Is that what happened to Reg? Poor man. I'm sure I saw him on a prog a few weeks ago, he seemed OK.

Mind you it was from the chest up!

Charles Nelson Reilly, actor who made regular appearances on Johnny Carson's "Tonight" show, has died aged 76.

Ron Archer, another former Aussie test cricketer and former team-mate of Bill Johnston (whose death I reported a few days ago) has died at the age of 73.

Is that what happened to Reg? Poor man. I'm sure I saw him on a prog a few weeks ago, he seemed OK.

Lost a leg during the war, did "our Reg".

Jörg Immendorff, German artist & a pick on the DDP for Notapotato (I think), is dead. A news report had revealed he was near death in late-March, so he shot up my 2008 DDP potential list into the top 5, though I knew full well he probably wouldn't make it. Alas, it was so.

Though he had Lou Gehrig's Disease, he actually died of a heart attack. German Obit

I am sure a suitable obituary will come soon & points will be awarded, as they will be soon for Renton, Nelson Reilly & Johnston, all of whom were covered by the BBC.

Lost a leg during the war, did "our Reg".

There's a great story about that leg and Sonny Liston. Liston was complaining to a few people - Reg included - that the 'bear' nickname was unfair for a black man because as a rule black men have less body hair than whites. Reg bet him that - black or not - Sonny had hairier legs than he did. Liston took the bet and each rolled up a trouser leg in search of a hair. Liston first, finding one or two, and then Reg revealing his aliminium leg. At which point Liston realised he'd been had, laughed out loud for ages and paid up on the bet.

Jörg Immendorff, German artist & a pick on the DDP for Notapotato (I think), is dead. A news report had revealed he was near death in late-March, so he shot up my 2008 DDP potential list into the top 5, though I knew full well he probably wouldn't make it. Alas, it was so.

Though he had Lou Gehrig's Disease, he actually died of a heart attack. German Obit

I am sure a suitable obituary will come soon & points will be awarded, as they will be soon for Renton, Nelson Reilly & Johnston, all of whom were covered by the BBC.

He was indeed a pick of mine.

Here's an obit from the International Herald Tribune. Is that good enough for the DDP? I'm not sure what their rules are.

Bugger! Scrub that. He wasn't one of mine. That must have been last year.

Bugger!

A bit of a surprise, as much as the death of a 98 year old can be. He was in excellent health at the end of the year, still active etc., so maybe not an obvious choice, considering his relative fame in his field.

Still, one of the old school & a darn nice & jolly interesting chap :flame:

Yes, he was. Another person I encountered in the course of research (memo to self: stop working on political history, otherwise might start gaining the reputation of a bad luck charm)

Further memo to self: Well, dying at 98 might not exactly count as bad luck.

Guest Guest

childrens tv presenter Bobby Ash aka Uncle Bobby has died.I rememebr he used to sing to the kids while stroking their hair .He was very affectionate towards them.He must hacve really loved kids.

childrens tv presenter Bobby Ash aka Uncle Bobby has died.I rememebr he used to sing to the kids while stroking their hair .He was very affectionate towards them.He must hacve really loved kids.

Wow! How did we miss that one? He only died on May 20th :lol:

Guest Guest
Japanese agruiculture minister has committed suicide

A former executive director of a Japanese agency involved in a bid-rigging scandal may have jumped off a building...Shinichi Yamazaki was head of Japan's green agency.

Guest Shuffler
American Publisher Barbara Cox Anthony Has died at age 83.

Hi dave, how's it going? Knew her well did you? :lol:

American Publisher Barbara Cox Anthony Has died at age 83.

Hi dave, how's it going? Knew her well did you? :lol:

Shouldn't that be Anthony Cox Barbara?

I'll get my coat. :P:o;)

General Sir Edward Jones, who served as Black Rod and Serjeant-at-Arms in The House of Lords from 1995-2001, has died at the age of 70.

Tony Bastable, one of the first presenters of 70s kid's show Magpie has died..

Ooh yer Bastable!

Tony Bastable, one of the first presenters of 70s kid's show Magpie has died..

Ooh yer Bastable!

The link shows a pic of 3 presenters with the caption "Bastable said he was still being recognised 30 years later", but does not indicate which one he is. Is this some sort of test? I reckon the one in the middle must be Susan Stranks, so the other must be "former BBC Radio 1 DJ Pete Brady". From memory, I'm guessing Tony is the trendy-looking guy on the right...

BTW, it would appear a group called "The Dentists" put out a track called "Tony Bastable v John Noakes" on their 1985 album "Some People are on the Pitch They Think It's All Over It is Now"

Guest Guest

Mr Bastable is indeed on the right. I cannot remember an incident of him being basted on air, however.