Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

Dame Mary Douglas is dead at 89

She was 86 actually, and a friend of mine who would have been greatly amused to have got a gratuitous mention on DL.

RIP.

RIP indeed. It's not often a DLer is friends with someone famous enough to get an obit. How did you get to know her, HJT?

"The Isaac Newton of our time", Nobel Prize winner Pierre-Gilles de Gennes, who pioneered the use of LCD displays, has died at the age of 74.

"The Isaac Newton of our time", Nobel Prize winner Pierre-Gilles de Gennes, who pioneered the use of LCD displays, has died at the age of 74.

Sorry DDT. And I even spelled his name right too.

I hardly blame you though, since the previous page on this thread is full of sh*t, I'm not surprised that you missed it.

The little bastard should be suspended right on the spot.

Yes, and your parents should have used a condom.

Dame Mary Douglas is dead at 89

She was 86 actually, and a friend of mine who would have been greatly amused to have got a gratuitous mention on DL.

RIP.

RIP indeed. It's not often a DLer is friends with someone famous enough to get an obit. How did you get to know her, HJT?

I interviewed her husband in connection with some research, and became friendly with both of them. It only dawned on me some years later that she was easily the more famous of the two (though her husband James did get substantial obits)

Ben Weisman songs covered by loads of people, wrote a stack of them for Elvis.

Ah, Mister Weisman. Responsible for most of the shite the King warbled throughout the sixties. Including the seminally awful 'Wooden Heart.' Although he did write 'Got A Lot Of Living To Do' and I quite like that one.

I don't think it's a coincidence that most Elvis fans would agree that the man was at his artistic peaks during the late fifties and then again during the seventies. The sixties, as far as Presley were concerned, were a chasm of wasted talent, crap movie vehicles and embarrassing songs written for them. Thank you, Mister Weisman.

I think it's fair to say that he was no Leiber or Stoller.

Mind you, that's just my biased and half-arse informed opinion, but hey, that's what Internet forums are all about, right?

Cheers,

BHB

Pemba Doma Sherpa has fallen off a mountain...

Not particularly famous, I know but I decided to post this anyway because initially I thought the BBC article said "fallen 8000m" not "fallen from 8000m", yep, I'm easily confused :lol:

Now only three survivors of the 1945 Parliament left: Michael Foot, Francis Noel-Baker and John Freeman...

A bit of a surprise, as much as the death of a 98 year old can be. He was in excellent health at the end of the year, still active etc., so maybe not an obvious choice, considering his relative fame in his field.

Still, one of the old school & a darn nice & jolly interesting chap :lol:

A bit of a surprise, as much as the death of a 98 year old can be. He was in excellent health at the end of the year, still active etc., so maybe not an obvious choice, considering his relative fame in his field.

Still, one of the old school & a darn nice & jolly interesting chap :lol:

Just before his 95th birthday, he passed his driving licence test on the first attempt.

....and I thought I was a late starter with driving

Ah, Mister Weisman. Responsible for most of the shite the King warbled throughout the sixties. Including the seminally awful 'Wooden Heart.' Although he did write 'Got A Lot Of Living To Do' and I quite like that one.

I don't think it's a coincidence that most Elvis fans would agree that the man was at his artistic peaks during the late fifties and then again during the seventies. The sixties, as far as Presley were concerned, were a chasm of wasted talent, crap movie vehicles and embarrassing songs written for them. Thank you, Mister Weisman.

I think it's fair to say that he was no Leiber or Stoller.

Mind you, that's just my biased and half-arse informed opinion, but hey, that's what Internet forums are all about, right?

Cheers,

BHB

Weisman's skill was reliable pap, never great, sometimes good. He's not that well represented on the infamous 'Elvis Greatest sh*t' bootleg that contains such gems as 'Ito Eats' and 'There's No Room To Rhumba in a Sports Car.'

Robert Ryder a life that - sort of - made a contribution to the business of death.

"Bill Johnston, a leading member of Don Bradman's 1948 "Invincibles" Ashes touring squad, has died in Sydney at the age of 85":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6690423.stm

"His death leaves five surviving members of that unbeaten side.

They are Arthur Morris, Neil Harvey, Sam Loxton, Ron Hamence and Bill Brown, who at 94 is Australia's oldest living Test player."

Europe's tallest building on fire. Might cause a minor flutter on this thread if it goes badly.

Careful MPFC, technically that may not be a building, but rather a "free-standing structure". Here's wiki's take on the subject as it relates to Toronto's CN Tower:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cn_tower

I'm just out now to jot down some floor numbers off the Natwest Tower.

spotter.jpg

That's points for RA on his shadowlist then.

Now to go for fidel on my DDP maybe.

That's it.

I've heard enough.

Come look out the window dear fiend, come see reality. Fidel Castro one of the last faces of communism and the earths political joker who dodged his assassination attempts since the early 1960's is living the Cuban high life. Relax. It is never anything special when we don't meet our expectations in life, but smile. There are plenty of other good bets just waiting for your two cents.

Yep, as Windsor will testify its such a disapointment that my shadow list is only 6 out of 50 so far. I must pick better in future!

Yep, as Windsor will testify its such a disapointment that my shadow list is only 6 out of 50 so far. I must pick better in future!

You're doing better than me! A lightning start...then..phut!

Oh by the way, Belated Birthday Greetings RA.....

sinema_johnny_rotten.jpg

ali.jpg

Joseph Anzac Jr, a discovery suggesting there'll be a brace of grim discoveries to follow. An odd feature of these deaths is - I guess - that a few - average people in life - will become posthumus poster boys for the campaign to get the US out of Iraq.