Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

Vilma Espin Guillois, Raul Castro's wife, has died at the age of 77. :)

On the world fame meter, the highest would be something along the lines of:

"Pope" (although can anyone off the top of their heads come up with the real first and last names of any pope?)

"US President"

"Highest paid film star"

"Paris Hilton"

"World's best footballer"

and the lowest would be:

"The only time you'll ever hear this person's name is when he/she dies"

Nonetheless, many congrats on the expert work by MPFC with a unique DDP pick.

B) Well....going by Google news, she's already got four times as many obits as Bernard Manning. Discuss.

"Pope" (although can anyone off the top of their heads come up with the real first and last names of any pope?)

Joseph Ratzinger is the current pope. Not sure of the surname's spelling but Pope JPII was Karol Wotjcha or something like that.

Joseph Ratzinger is the current pope. Not sure of the surname's spelling but Pope JPII was Karol Wotjcha or something like that.

I know one...but only because I was considering Lucrezia Borgia as a screen name. Her father was

Rodrigo Borgia, Pope Alexander VI. They supposedly threw huge parties for their political enemies

and them poisoned them. :lol:

For all you fans of badly-dubbed German soap opera 'Black Forest Clinic' (Schwarzwaldklinik), which was shown on Channel 4 in the Eighties, Klausjürgen Wussow (Dr Klaus Brinkmann) has died aged 78.

Cardiff-born Karl Brooks, current European water-ski racing champion and number three in the world rankings, has been killed in an accident in Las Vegas at the age of 25.

Ed Friendly, "veteran TV executive, co-creator of the 1960s comic sensation Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In and producer of the frontier family drama Little House on the Prairie" has died:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/227309

You might say the two examples of his output above represent a pretty broad church!

Scarborough FC:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport?articleid=2968819

I'm sure someone will reference this in the footy thread (if they haven't done so already - can't be arsed checking), but as they were only recently a member of the football league proper, I think it is worth noting here.

Often famed US businessman die & I just go "Who?" but today was announced the death of one I've actually heard of - restauranteur Bob Evans, who has died, aged 89. Link

Doo-wop singer, Hank Medress, who sang lead vocals on the 1961 US number one hit "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" has died of lung cancer aged 68.

YouTube video of the song

(although possibly not the original video :D )

Rik Gunnell there or thereabouts before there were too many proper gigs. Basically, one of the people who took British rock out of coffee bars and past 9-00 pm.

"Charles W. Lindberg, one of the U.S. Marines who raised the first American flag over Iwo Jima during World War II, has died. He was 86":

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4917809.html

"Lindberg spent decades explaining that it was his patrol, not the one captured in the famous Associated Press photograph by Joe Rosenthal, that raised the first flag as U.S. forces fought to take the Japanese island."

Former [West] Germany football coach Jupp Derwall, who took his team to the 1982 World Cup final, has died at the age of 80.

Seth Cook, the poor lad who suffered from progeria, a condition which causes accelerated aging, and who was sometimes mentioned here (and chosen on previous DDP's) as one of the prime examples of a sicker, darker choice for death pools, has died, from a heart-attack caused by his condition. :)

Ashraf Marwan an Egyptian billionaire, who once owned a stake in Chelsea football club and who feared for his life after been accused of spying for the Israelis, has been found dead beneath the window of his fourth floor flat. He was the son in law of former President Nasser.

Kiichi Miyazawa, former Japanese PM, has died, at the age of 87.

Those with longer recollections may remember George Bush Sr. was sick all over Miyazawa's trousers in the early 90's. Not Bush Sr's finest hour....

Congratulations to Canadian Paul on an unique hit on the DDP - it could be his 1st of two in one day if Melly's condition is as bad as believed.

Gordon Golstelow, yeah I was struggling to remember the name myself, but when they did The Railway Children for telly, he was the station porter.