Ronald Reagan - February 6, 1911 – June 5, 2004 (93-years-old)

Gerald Ford - Born July 14 1913 (92-years-old)

So he needs to survive until about Dec/Jan to break the record (and I'm sure someone here will work out the exact date).

Not that I'd class GF as a real president - he wasn't elected as VP, let alone P!!

Not that I'd class GF as a real president - he wasn't elected as VP, let alone P!!

nor, some would argue, was W.

nor, some would argue, was W.

I do so enjoy the sonorous sound of a can of worms opening............

If I work this right it means that Gerald Ford waking up on the morning of November 11th this year is 93 years and 120 days old, a day older than Reagan at his death and - therefore - the oldest surviving ex-US president in history.

You might want to double check my maths, done by counting on my fingers whilst reading the thread, sipping my coffee and trying to ignore a conversation about dogging in the far corner of the office. Remember, if checking, Reagan died in a leap year.

I think Ford will make it.

If I work this right it means that Gerald Ford waking up on the morning of November 11th this year is 93 years and 120 days old, a day older than Reagan at his death and - therefore - the oldest surviving ex-US president in history.

You might want to double check my maths, done by counting on my fingers whilst reading the thread, sipping my coffee and trying to ignore a conversation about dogging in the far corner of the office. Remember, if checking, Reagan died in a leap year.

Was the conversation in the corner of the office, or was the conversation about dogging that was happening in the corner of the office?

A bit of both, just don't ask. I throw them a few Bonio biscuits, turn my back and remind myself the money's good.

A bit of both, just don't ask. I throw them a few Bonio biscuits, turn my back and remind myself the money's good.

I do the same when Lib Dem MPs S**t on me...

But back to Gerald Ford... if your sums are right I think he'll make it.

And, although he's got a decade or so to catch up, I think Jimmy Carter will break the record too.

The next former president to die will be, IMHO, George HW Bush (snr).

And what's Dan Quayle up to now, GHWB's VP?

He's only in his 50s, surely. He was great - almost a Yankee Duke of Edinburgh.

Whatever Quayle's birth certificate says I used to get the opinion I was listening to a ten year old when he spoke. If he makes 93 plus someone will have to explain it to him, I doubt he can count up that far.

Ronald Reagan is the longest lived (oldest ever) US president.

So I would imagine thayt CP is talking about that.

I'm voting no - I'm being hopeful.

Although through technicality Windsor dearest, Frank Roosevelt was the longest living President since he lasted 3 full terms and headed into his 4th before succumbing to heart failure while engaged in romantic antics with his cousin's/wife's best friend......I learned about it while watching Opreah and her latest memoir guest writere.

and a damned fine question and poll Paulie.....sad I wasn't here for it on day one.

Oh and I thinks Ford will make it after all he was once King.

Ford isn;t going to die............you can tell by looking at him that he doesn'[t have it in him.

November 11th is what Wikipedia says, and since it's full of obsessive people with date calculators, it's the one thing I trust on the site...

As of now, a dead heat, with a lot of interesting reasoning. I forget exactly what my original purpose was, and I have to head off to class soon, but anything that's this close must be interesting. I'll try and think of something insightful to say over the course of the day. :P

Did anyone know that ex-presidents are still called president after they've left office?

BTW: Longest living ex-PM: James Callaghan (92 years, 364 days)

I'll try and think of something insightful to say over the course of the day

Achieve that, Canadian Paul, and you'll have done something Gerald Ford never did!

I'll try and think of something insightful to say over the course of the day

Achieve that, Canadian Paul, and you'll have done something Gerald Ford never did!

Harsh. Clever though. But harsh. :skill2:

I actually think Gerald Ford is a pretty uninteresting president. Sure, he screwed up some, but I think people exaggerate his failings too much. True, he's nothing special, but I think a lot of the things people blame him for were a bit out of his control.

Nevertheless, I decided to start the weekend portion of my belated birthday celebrations a little early, so I'll try for insight another day perhaps.

I guess I'm not better than Gerald Ford yet. :P

BTW: Longest living ex-PM: James Callaghan (92 years, 364 days)

And talking about 'longest living' prominents: isn't the Queen about to beat her great-great-grandmother's record of 81 yrs and 243 days? If she's as tough as her mother, there's no doubt she'll smash it to smithereens.

Based on Windsor's very helpful clarifications, I voted 'no'.

Come on, Ford-o!

Guest Fordwatcher
Ford isn;t going to die............you can tell by looking at him that he doesn'[t have it in him.

True, something tells me that a 92 year old man is going to have a hard time recovering long-term from pnuemonia.

Ford is released from hospital.

Oh well, we have more than 11 months left.

regards,

Hein

True, there's still a chance before Jan 1, 2007. Though I'd kinda like to see him make it through November just to break Ronnie's record.

Guest LilMimi

Interesting, I'm sure he and Mrs. Ford will probably have something to say later in the day regarding the death of Mrs. King.

Interesting, I'm sure he and Mrs. Ford will probably have something to say later in the day regarding the death of Mrs. King.

Like: "Glad she went first."

Like: "Glad she went first."

Ford family is two for two against the Kings I'd say.

Hey, how weird would that be? Gerald Ford assassinated Martin Luther King Jr.... now THERE'S a conspiracy theory. ;)

Jimmy Carter appeared on Larry King Live again last night. King asked him how Ford was doing. Carter said he had talked to a Ford aide a little earlier in the day and that he(Ford) was 'doing as well as can be expected' and that he is at home. Carter seemed rather somber and became almost emotional talking about the friendship he and Ford have. Something just doesn't sound very optimistic.

Something just doesn't sound very optimistic.

You may be right but I say he is just a very emotional type guy Jimmy Carter.

I mean some actors can't even watch there own films?? Now there for example is a problem.

'doing as well as can be expected' and that he is at home.

Doesn't that usually mean "gone home to die"? Hmm.... :banghead: