Guest JamesG

Shane MacGowan

I mentioned on the Piper at... thread that he's exactly 14 years younger than Jacqui McShee of Pentangle, we could - like - call an unofficial poll on which will cark first. 

I say Shane, 2024 might be a massive ask, if he makes it, he's a charttopper on the DL. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

I mentioned on the Piper at... thread that he's exactly 14 years younger than Jacqui McShee of Pentangle, we could - like - call an unofficial poll on which will cark first. 

I say Shane, 2024 might be a massive ask, if he makes it, he's a charttopper on the DL. 

Or is he stuck at the 50 spot until he dies?

• Like 3

Not that I think he has much chance at all of seeing next year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sean said:

Not that I think he has much chance at all of seeing next year.

Agreed, that was my point, basically, if he has a pulse on New Year's Eve I'm struggling to see a better candidate for #1 on the 2024 list. I might have suggested Yevgeny Prigozhin, but...:rolleyes:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Agreed, that was my point, basically, if he has a pulse on New Year's Eve I'm struggling to see a better candidate for #1 on the 2024 list. I might have suggested Yevgeny Prigozhin, but...:rolleyes:

Jimmy Carter or James Whale would be equally good candidates if either make it until 2024.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sean said:

He looks worse than the last two pictures shared hereabouts and the parade of popsters to his hospital bed continues apace - skin looks thin, less weight on him than before and there's no evidence he's even fit enough to get up for a piss. 

Looks like a lingering exit, there are 122 scoring days left for most current dead pools this year.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

He looks worse than the last two pictures shared hereabouts and the parade of popsters to his hospital bed continues apace - skin looks thin, less weight on him than before and there's no evidence he's even fit enough to get up for a piss. 

Looks like a lingering exit, there are 122 scoring days left for most current dead pools this year.

Reminds me a bit of Gerry Rafferty. The final illness was drawn out but he never left the hospital again alive. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, msc said:

Reminds me a bit of Gerry Rafferty. The final illness was drawn out but he never left the hospital again alive. 

And alcohol related

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

And alcohol related

Aye. Front page has a good joke about Rafferty's liver hoping file sharing would dent the £80k a year he was still making off Baker Street. Am reliably told it was closer to £800k.

Grumpy bastard, amazing songwriter though.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

He hasn't been able to walk at all since he broke his pelvis several years ago 

• Like 3

https://www.sundayworld.com/showbiz/irish-showbiz/shane-macgowan-battling-blood-infection-but-wife-hopes-he-will-be-home-by-christmas/a1971195735.html

Turns out he has a blood infection and complications which is why he has been in hospital for 3 months.His wife says the hospital are "working really hard" to get him discharged home in time for Christmas.In a separate article Shane is said to be passing the time in Hospital watching his box set of Father Ted.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

https://www.sundayworld.com/showbiz/irish-showbiz/shane-macgowan-battling-blood-infection-but-wife-hopes-he-will-be-home-by-christmas/a1971195735.html

Turns out he has a blood infection and complications which is why he has been in hospital for 3 months.His wife says the hospital are "working really hard" to get him discharged home in time for Christmas.In a separate article Shane is said to be passing the time in Hospital watching his box set of Father Ted.

There are 25 episodes, including the one-off 55 minute Christmas special, you don't need three months to binge that lot

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

That he re watching them over and over by the sounds of it.

• Like 1

I mean, you don't need to be alive to be home for Christmas 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I mean, you don't need to be alive to be home for Christmas 

Yer man's birthday is Christmas Day btw

• Like 2

I bet Shane can do a brilliant Father Jack impression.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

From Derek Draper to Shane MacGowan.... he seems to have stabilized:

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/11434938/shane-macgowan-major-health-update-determined-hospital/

He was also devastated that he missed Sinead O'Connor's funeral:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/celebs/shane-macgowans-devastated-miss-sinead-27868992

• Like 5

Still in hospital , but seemingly better.

If he spends a bit more time in hospital he will become a founding major general of PLA ad honorem.

• Like 1

New photo, this time with Tom Creagh:

https://www.irishnews.com/arts/music/2023/11/06/news/shane_macgowan_shares_hospital_photo_with_friend_for_his_birthday-3752040/

The cannula is back.

He won't get out of there ever again.

Also, it seems Shane has the same kind of level as Jonnie Irwin in terms of "every Instagram post is worth a news article".

• Like 8

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

New photo, this time with Tom Creagh:

https://www.irishnews.com/arts/music/2023/11/06/news/shane_macgowan_shares_hospital_photo_with_friend_for_his_birthday-3752040/

The cannula is back.

He won't get out of there ever again.

Also, it seems Shane has the same kind of level as Jonnie Irwin in terms of "every Instagram post is worth a news article".

He looks worse now, than the earlier hospital photos.

6 hours ago, Joltin Joe said:

He looks worse now, than the earlier hospital photos.

Hell yeah, joker worse!

He could very well be an end of year hit. His wife did speak of "terrifying fears of loss"; he cannot have too much longer to go.

Just now, The Daredevil said:

He could very well be an end of year hit. His wife did speak of "terrifying fears of loss", meaning he cannot have much longer to go.

He's been in hospital so long she's gone through the entire Kubler Ross process while he's still alive.

• Like 1