weasel

Star Wars Deaths

I get the impression Daisy Ridley has her head screwed on right. Carrie Fisher's life was chaotic before Star Wars.

Probably Max von Sydow.

• Like 1

Max von Sydow is in the new Star Wars? I hope its a Flash Gordon crossover.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I get the impression Daisy Ridley has her head screwed on right. Carrie Fisher's life was chaotic before Star Wars.

Probably Max von Sydow.

Don't know: she has gone from total obscurity to mega-fame overnight. She'd been struggling to lamd even minor parts before this and now she is thrust into this huge role and Hollywood's hedonistic lifestyle.

7 minutes ago, msc said:

Max von Sydow is in the new Star Wars? I hope its a Flash Gordon crossover.

That was the joke at the time. :D

Sadly, did not playing Ming. He had all of about 5 cringeworthy lines ("She'll always be royalty to me") at the start of the first new film before being killed in what amounted to one of the most pointless cameos ever.

Daisy Ridley has been in a number of TV roles since 2013 (Casualty etc) and she is the Great niece of Arnold Ridley (Dad's Army). However she does suffer from a rare medical condition. She will be in Kenneth Branagh's remake of Murder on the Orient Express.

I keep getting her confused with Felicity Jones who was in Rogue One who I suddenly realised had played Catherine Moorland in Northanger Abbey and I couldn't get it out of my head for the second half of the film

• Like 1

What is her medical condition?

Actually, one thing that actuallydid impress me about the new films is that they cast her instead of a conventional beauty. Also, at the end of the film, I was expecting to see her finally get glammed up but they kept her in the same dowdy clothes when she went to meet Luke, so the Hollywood machine is not taking the easy path of turning her into just another sex symbol. I guess that is probably Kathleen Kennedy's influence on the franchise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

What is her medical condition?

Actually, one thing that actuallydid impress me about the new films is that they cast her instead of a conventional beauty. Also, at the end of the film, I was expecting to see her finally get glammed up but they kept her in the same dowdy clothes when she went to meet Luke, so the Hollywood machine is not taking the easy path of turning her into just another sex symbol. I guess that is probably Kathleen Kennedy's influence on the franchise.

Endometriosis apparently........

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Endometriosis apparently........

Just looked it up because I hadn't heard of it. According to Wikipedia:  "There is an association between endometriosis and certain types of cancers, notably some types of ovarian cancer,[17][18] non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and brain cancer.[19] Endometriosis is unrelated to endometrial cancer"...

• Like 1

Carrie Fisher was two years old when her parent's divorced who were both very public figures and seventies hollywood is a very different place she had a number of chaotic relationships.

I do not think there is any comparison between the two of them.

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Carrie Fisher was two years old when her parent's divorced who were both very public figures and seventies hollywood is a very different place she had a number of chaotic relationships.

I do not think there is any comparison between the two of them.

Fair enough but Hollywood seems just as debauched today to me. I agree that she seems more likely to handle fame better than the likes of other recent young stars like Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears, though.

Ah well, Life is debauched.

After all, Marlene Dietrich was a damned fine actress who frequented Wiemar Germany drag clubs, once plotted to murder Hitler, drank like a newt, and was a promiscuous bisexual (allegedly seeing to both Gary Cooper and Greta Garbo, among many others). You know what that makes her? Fucking awesome, imo.

Sorry, got completely distracted there...

• Like 2

On 30/03/2017 at 05:36, Bibliogryphon said:

Would be rude not to reply off topic but John Carter anyone?

On topic

Caroline Blakiston is older than I thought she was

Yes, the overwhelming consensus in the Daily Mail's comments section today is that it will be a John Carter/Jupiter Ascending-like mega-flop:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4360724/Valerian-City-Thousand-Planets-trailer-out.html#reader-comments

Given the money involved in the project, it is a general audience like this the film has to win over. It can't be a cult/niche hit, it has to be a mainstream success a la Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and those recent Marvel comic book films. 

Based on that, I am guessing this is going to be a career ending disaster for Besson and the two leads. In light of that, it is a pity they went down an Americanized route with it. A much smaller film that retained its Frenchness would have been a domestic hit and maybe would have obtained a cult following in other countries.

Luc Besson's career is dead.

22 hours ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Carrie's back. Her family have given permission to use footage of her in Star Wars 9:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/late-carrie-fisher-final-star-wars-movie-article-1.3030154

Says Fisher's mother, actress Debbie Reynolds, “My lowest point in Carrie’s and my relationship has been since discovering that she is ill, that she has this mental health problem and that it is going to be with her for 2017 and beyond. All I can do is continue to love her and support her as she reboots her role as Laia in her upcoming Star Wars movie. I can't wait to see it."

1 minute ago, Sir Creep said:

Says Fisher's mother, actress Debbie Reynolds, “My lowest point in Carrie’s and my relationship has been since discovering that she is ill, that she has this mental health problem and that it is going to be with her for 2017 and beyond. All I can do is continue to love her and support her as she reboots her role as Laia in her upcoming Star Wars movie. I can't wait to see it."

Little did she know.

that she has this mental health problem and that it is going to be with her for 2017 and beyond.

Yep, just goes to show that so often the things we worry about never happen ...........

On 08/04/2017 at 05:56, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Carrie's back. Her family have given permission to use footage of her in Star Wars 9:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/late-carrie-fisher-final-star-wars-movie-article-1.3030154

Carrie won't be in 9 after all:  https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/04/the-last-jedi-will-be-carrie-fishers-final-star-wars-film-after-all/

• Like 1

You folks DO know I made that whole Debbie Reynolds quote up, don't you?  I figured if we are going to put dead people in new movies, I want future quotes from the dead as well.
SMFH -- How the hell could a dead woman know about her dead daughter being in an upcoming Star Wars movie?
SMFH some more.  

SC

As Teddy Roosevelt once said, "The problem with the internet is that you're never sure if quotes by famous people on Twitter or internet forums are just made up."

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

You folks DO know I made that whole Debbie Reynolds quote up, don't you?  I figured if we are going to put dead people in new movies, I want future quotes from the dead as well.
SMFH -- How the hell could a dead woman know about her dead daughter being in an upcoming Star Wars movie?
SMFH some more.  

SC

I always felt that there was something wrong with that quote, hints being that you misspellt Leia's name as Laia, and that – according to the quote – Debbie specified that her mental health problem would continue to be with her in "2017" (as if that year had been in any way special for her).

OTOH, the fact that she had been likely to get a role in the new SW movie was not suspicious at all – she presumably already had a contract for it when she died.

• Like 1

On a few Star Wars sites (yes, I was looking for Last Jedi spoilers), fans are saying that as well as all her drug and alcohol problems, Carrie drank six cans of Coca Cola every day.

:puke:

It seems it was a miracle she lived as long as she did.

Leia succumbed to the evil Empire in the end - of the Coca Cola Company.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

It has just been announced that "Indiana Jones 5" will be released in cinemas in July 2020, at which time Harrison Ford will be 78 years old:  http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/04/25/star-wars-episode-ix-next-indiana-jones-release-dates-revealed

:old:

He will need to be pretty trim and fit for that -respect to him. But let's just hope he doesn't have any more mishaps flying planes. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

He will need to be pretty trim and fit for that -respect to him. But let's just hope he doesn't have any more mishaps flying planes. 

Will Shia Le Bouf reprise his son role or will that be recast?