weasel

Star Wars Deaths

I think the entire franchise just died with the release of the Acolyte.

Rest in 13% Rotten Tomatoes review

13 hours ago, The Great Cornholio said:

I think the entire franchise just died with the release of the Acolyte.

Rest in 13% Rotten Tomatoes review

The Acolyte is being review bombed by people whose sole aim is to ensure it does not get a good review without ever having watched it. The franchise won't die because some sad folks are having a tantrum. The Holiday Special was released 45 years ago and Star Wars is still here.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

The Acolyte is being review bombed by people whose sole aim is to ensure it does not get a good review without ever having watched it. The franchise won't die because some sad folks are having a tantrum. The Holiday Special was released 45 years ago and Star Wars is still here.

85% of actual critics have given it a good review. There have several other Disney + series for various franchises which have done badly with the actual critics recently. 

2 hours ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Idk, I think it is legitimately shit. I know because I watched it. My first impression was that I was amazed by how bored I was watching it, and I'm a big fan of the franchise.

The issue for me isnt the space lesbians or the female lead or the lack of white males, this issue I have (and most people have) is the poor writing, the cringe dialogue (the power of one, the power of two, the power of manyyyyyyyyyy), rewriting the force as 'the thread' and contradicting its meaning right when its being explained to the viewer (the thread isnt there to be wielded but heres how you can manipulate it).

Then theres the canon breaking. The twins being born through the force suddenly makes Anakin much less special. Ki Adi Mundi being aware of the possible Sith and not telling the council, either making his character dubious (for no real reason) or plain stupid. Not to mention that Ki Adi Mundi wasn't supposed to be alive at this point in time.

Then theres the production. The budget being twice as large as Kenobi, yet the budget feels wasted (especially in comparison to the latest Dune film). Also I have a HUGE issue with the director. Putting aside her aspiration to actively use Star Wars as a vehicle for her political views, she's an ex-associate of Harvey Weinstein. Not only that but she is the only secretary/assistant of his to not report on his sexual misconduct.

Originally I was excited when the Acolyte was announced. I thought we'd see a younger Yoda, Darth Plagueis and his master and maybe a better backstory to some of the ancient Jedi in the prequels - such as Plo Koon, Oppo Rancis, Yaddle and Yarael Poof (the Jedi with the long neck in Phantom Menace). I might be nit picking a bit with the background Jedi but a cameo would've been a nice tribute to the die hard Star Wars fans.

The only thing I liked about the Acolyte was the fight choreography, even though it was so stupid how the Trinity actress died at the beginning.

Overall, The Acolyte (in my opinion) is dogshite. It had amazing potential, only for it to be given to someone who doesn't understand Star Wars, nor makes any effort to. If you like the show, good for you, but I honestly think the 13% rotten tomato score was deserved.

• Like 2

Okay. I have read your post in its entirety.

1 hour ago, The Great Cornholio said:

Idk, I think it is legitimately shit. I know because I watched it. My first impression was that I was amazed by how bored I was watching it, and I'm a big fan of the franchise.

That's fair enough, all I'm saying is that some people, unlike you, haven't given it a chance, so its reviews cannot spell the "death of the franchise". If you don't like it, that's fine, at least you watched it unlike many of its critics.

Then theres the canon breaking. The twins being born through the force suddenly makes Anakin much less special. Ki Adi Mundi being aware of the possible Sith and not telling the council, either making his character dubious (for no real reason) or plain stupid.

3 people being born via the Force in an entire galaxy's history does not make each one less special. 3 in trillions upon trillions of life-forms that have ever existed in the universe is a very small percentage. Anakin's creation had to be learned from somewhere.

As for Ki-Adi-Mundi, his appearance was deliberate in order to highlight the ignorance of the Jedi, as even 100 years later they cannot accept the return of the Sith after experiencing it. In his scene, the Jedi blame a Dark Jedi, not a Sith, and the bloodbath in the most recent episode gets rid of most actual witnesses. Vernestra also specifies to the Jedi in the room that they should not alert the council as they would then have to report to the Senate.

Not to mention that Ki Adi Mundi wasn't supposed to be alive at this point in time.

I can understand your opinions about the show, even if I disagree with them, but this is just plain wrong. In the Canon timeline of Star Wars, no reference has ever been made to Ki-Adi-Mundi's age, and therefore he is free to pop up in whichever show he pleases provided it is not after his death. In the Legends continuity, this is different, he has an established age, and, yes, that established age puts him younger than would be possible for him to be included in The Acolyte. However, The Acolyte is not Legends and does not have to adhere to the information provided only by Legends sources. To hold Canon shows to Legends-exclusive information is the closest to "breaking Canon" this has got.

Originally I was excited when the Acolyte was announced. I thought we'd see a younger Yoda, Darth Plagueis and his master and maybe a better backstory to some of the ancient Jedi in the prequels - such as Plo Koon, Oppo Rancis, Yaddle and Yarael Poof (the Jedi with the long neck in Phantom Menace). I might be nit picking a bit with the background Jedi but a cameo would've been a nice tribute to the die hard Star Wars fans.

I am a huge Star Wars fan and have been for years; I almost listed it in the Hobbies/Talents thread as a major area of interest for myself, and I can completely agree with you on the topic of wanting to see more established Jedi (which we got in the form of Ki-Adi-Mundi (a nice cameo) and Vernestra Rwoh). Yarael, Rancisis, Yaddle, etc. would be great to see, but the whole show isn't out yet, there may be more to come. David Harewood's character has been very much kept under wraps as to their identity, so chances are he plays a character we already know. Maybe even Tenebrous, Plagueis, or Venamis.

Overall, The Acolyte (in my opinion) is dogshite. It had amazing potential, only for it to be given to someone who doesn't understand Star Wars, nor makes any effort to. If you like the show, good for you, but I honestly think the 13% rotten tomato score was deserved.

If that's what you want to believe, believe it. I am not going to attempt to influence your opinion on any way, you have the freedom to make up your own mind, and I appreciate you letting me believe that the show is, in my opinion, one of the best in recent years. I disagree with you on the last part entirely, though. No review of anything, be it phenomenal or throughly disappointing deserves the review it gets after being review bombed.

• Like 1

Personally I feel that we're being fed too much Star Wars because Disney wants money and there's no big Avengers movie coming out soon. It's why i've stayed away from The Acolyte, The Mandalorian, Ahsoka and Andor. I would rather watch another season of Obi Wan.

I'll watch them, just in my own time once the hype has calmed down.

• Like 2