faustus

2. Dick Van Dyke

At this point with Barker and Kissinger gone, I wouldn't be surprised if Dick is going to stay at the number one spot until he goes. The only exception I can think of is if Jimmy Carter doesn't pass away in December.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why do people think his accent in Mary Poppins is bad. I am from London and it is actually a good accent. 

• Like 5

This man’s living to 100, if I’m wrong you all have permission to raid my hive 

with love, BBB

shoutout to the dead bees who got smoked out in my block :( where mary poppins when u need her

• Like 4

I'm not even sure why he's on the list really other than being very old. The guy's in absolutely tremendous shape, and I would certainly advocate for dropping him. Sure, at 98 you might drop dead at any point, but realistically I'd say he's going to make it past 100 and there are surely far better picks especially for the number 1 spot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Why do people think his accent in Mary Poppins is bad. I am from London and it is actually a good accent. 

He definitely gets way more flack for it than he deserves.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barry B Benson said:

you all have permission to raid my hive 

Terrible euphemism.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Master Obit said:

I'm not even sure why he's on the list really other than being very old. The guy's in absolutely tremendous shape, and I would certainly advocate for dropping him. Sure, at 98 you might drop dead at any point, but realistically I'd say he's going to make it past 100 and there are surely far better picks especially for the number 1 spot.

I 100% agree that in the shape he's in... No chance he dies before 100. At minimum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Comped said:

I 100% agree that in the shape he's in... No chance he dies before 100. At minimum.

image.thumb.jpeg.3d53c90db6b916b1ba0dbb49372d84fe.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

8 hours ago, TQR said:

Terrible euphemism.

I wouldn't be so sure. I agree there's a great chance of him hitting the century milestone, but it's far from a far gone conclusion. At the age, people can go down hill fast and without warning. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

I wouldn't be so sure. I agree there's a great chance of him hitting the century milestone, but it's far from a far gone conclusion. At the age, people can go down hill fast and without warning. 

Charles Aznavour.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roaming_comrade said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3d53c90db6b916b1ba0dbb49372d84fe.jpeg

With all due respect to her... She wasn't up dancing and singing much in her final years!

• Like 1

Drop him altogether, it’ll be a much-needed bold move either way. If he survives 2024, the committee shall be praised for their nuance and foresight; if he dies, it’ll still have been worth the gamble, especially as I don’t see anyone of note seriously betting on a quick demise now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Comped said:

With all due respect to her... She wasn't up dancing and singing much in her final years!

I dont know man, she seemed pretty hyped for her 100th birthday up to 3 weeks before she died and we're 2 years from that mark for Dick van Dyke.

Also dont forget thats its mostly heart disease that usually gets very old men that are still fit, like Prince Philip or almost Dr Mahathir of Malaysia.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

I dont know man, she seemed pretty hyped for her 100th birthday up to 3 weeks before she died and we're 2 years from that mark for Dick van Dyke.

Also dont forget thats its mostly heart disease that usually gets very old men that are still fit, like Prince Philip or almost Dr Mahathir of Malaysia.

There is a very clear difference between Prince Philip at 98 and Dick Van Dyke at (almost) 98, though. Whilst it is true that heart disease is a large killer of old men, it's also true that those in the best shape tend to last longer. Dick Van Dyke's internal health is clearly pretty good to be able to have the level of functioning that he enjoys. Prince Philip was hospitalised several times in his later years, and looked like a zombie - he was only walking because he was too stubborn to submit to mobility support he clearly needed, and there'd have been no question of him dancing. 

Betty White certainly still retained all her marbles right to the end, but from what I've seen she was certainly ailing a bit physically in her latter years and I don't think it was a huge shock that she died. It's just that everyone was so hyped about her possibly reaching 100.

I'd happily see DVD dropped. It would be good to see people chosen on account of their health as opposed to just their age.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Arsewipe said:

I assume Carter will take the number one spot if he makes 2024?

If he doesn't, I'd be concerned!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Craigerz said:

https://youtu.be/oyQcUpgg2VI?si=DuKnXm8QgpdE4jke

'Dick Van Dyke - Forever Young' from CBS this morning.

Does nothing but prove my point that the only reason he's on the list is because he's 98. He seems in excellent physical and mental condition for someone who is literally 98 years old. I'm not going to make any declarative statements because the last time I did it backfired horribly on me... But I feel pretty safe about Dick probably even vacating top 10 in 2024.

• Like 4

Given his advanced age, I actually think the number two spot is an acceptable position for him this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dimreaper said:

Given his advanced age, I actually think the number spot is an acceptable position for him this year.

Does the man need to play Valjean in a full length production of Les Mis live on TV to get in further down on this list? He doesn't deserve to be in the top five, let alone the top 10, when there are people who are actively with incredibly greater odds of dying in the next year further down the list.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Comped said:

Does the man need to play Valjean in a full length production of Les Mis live on TV to get in further down on this list? He doesn't deserve to be in the top five, let alone the top 10, when there are people who are actively with incredibly greater odds of dying in the next year further down the list.

I agree he's likely to make it into 2025, but I can't help but feel he's not as immortal as people on this forum make him out to be. I actually placed him at 47 on my shadow list. All i'm saying is that i'm no longer outraged by him being in the top 10. My main concern was him getting the number one spot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dimreaper said:

I agree he's likely to make it into 2025, but I can't help but feel he's not as immortal as people on this forum make him out to be. I actually placed him at 47 on my shadow list. All i'm saying is that i'm no longer outraged by him being in the top 10. My main concern was him getting the number one spot.

I would keep him somewhere within my top 60-70 or so. He's not at imminent risk of death enough to make it into my top 50, and besides being old seems to be a great candidate to make it to 2025 at least. #2 is kind of a joke.

• Like 3