maryportfuncity

Missing In Action

So, what do we reckon re Jay Slater

A few people convinced he's come to some harm at the hands of other person(s), police seem to assume he's done a Mosely and managed to collapse somewhere he's not readily visible. Tbh I haven't a clue, I'd guess some improbably bad luck version of the police suspicions. Anyone know owt else other than wild online speculation? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cpe3nwn5d7wo#:~:text=The search for missing British,final day of the search."

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

wild online speculation?

Nothing to add but speculation. Surely nobody else does either or it would have been reported somewhere by now?

1. He's clearly dead in a ditch after all this time from either heat exhaustion or he fell off a ledge or indeed both. (Random terrorist or bandit attacks on a 19 year old with about 45p to his name just seems unlikely in The Canaries, it's not Afghanistan).

2. He's hiding in a cupboard back at the hotel until all this blows over and he and the family can spend the cash from the Just Giving appeals on a series of piss-ups.

1. Will garner a sympathetic hearing no matter how this turns out*.

2. Will provoke cries that even conjecturing this shows an outstanding lack of empathy. But can we discount it?

*I'm going with 1. He was (is)19, and as a UK resident inexperienced with regards to - A: That kind of geography where you can be a long way from help very quickly, the terrain is difficult and the roads are terrible or non-existent and B: What that kind of heat can do to you, particularly if you have been drinking like a champ and start out in a hung over and de-hydrated state in the first place with no phone and critically, no water. It's just not a state of affairs you can easily get into in the UK.

ETA: If Mosley can manage it at 67 with a bloody good knowledge of what it can do to you, it has to be a reasonable guess that some poor half-cut 19 year old just had zero idea what he might be getting himself into.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, En Passant said:

Nothing to add but speculation. Surely nobody else does either or it would have been reported somewhere by now?

1. He's clearly dead in a ditch after all this time from either heat exhaustion or he fell off a ledge or indeed both. (Random terrorist or bandit attacks on a 19 year old with about 45p to his name just seems unlikely in The Canaries, it's not Afghanistan).

2. He's hiding in a cupboard back at the hotel until all this blows over and he and the family can spend the cash from the Just Giving appeals on a series of piss-ups.

1. Will garner a sympathetic hearing no matter how this turns out*.

2. Will provoke cries that even conjecturing this shows an outstanding lack of empathy. But can we discount it?

*I'm going with 1. He was (is)19, and as a UK resident inexperienced with regards to - A: That kind of geography where you can be a long way from help very quickly, the terrain is difficult and the roads are terrible or non-existent and B: What that kind of heat can do to you, particularly if you have been drinking like a champ and start out in a hung over and de-hydrated state in the first place with no phone and critically, no water. It's just not a state of affairs you can easily get into in the UK.

ETA: If Mosley can manage it at 67 with a bloody good knowledge of what it can do to you, it has to be a reasonable guess that some poor half-cut 19 year old just had zero idea what he might be getting himself into.

Aye, totally with you, and also he blew his final seconds of phone battery ringing a mate in Manchester, likely got so disorientated in the final hour or so of dehydration that he blundered about, got lost and landed deep in a ravine. 

Surprised, a little, that the searchers didn't notice circling scavenging birds somewhere, but maybe the foraging ground animals got there first because he's deep in that ravine.

Pretty sad, either way

• Like 2

On 02/07/2024 at 23:38, En Passant said:

1. He's clearly dead in a ditch after all this time from either heat exhaustion or he fell off a ledge or indeed both

On 03/07/2024 at 08:01, maryportfuncity said:

likely got so disorientated in the final hour or so of dehydration that he blundered about, got lost and landed deep in a ravine.

So this cause sadly turns out to be the case.

On 15/07/2024 at 12:59, Father Brown said:

Human remains found in the Jay Slater search

Confirmed as him via fingerprinting.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, En Passant said:

Confirmed as him via fingerprinting.

I've always wondered how they'd know it was him via fingerprints - they rub off surfaces at some point, and without them in a database previously, they'd be harder to match conclusively than say, dental records or other means of ID.

1 hour ago, Comped said:

I've always wondered how they'd know it was him via fingerprints - they rub off surfaces at some point, and without them in a database previously, they'd be harder to match conclusively than say, dental records or other means of ID.

I think you'll find he had a criminal record.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I think you'll find he had a criminal record.

Never heard of the lad before this, so I didn't know. Would make sense how they're able to use fingerprints for ID then.

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

IMG_7107.jpeg

Bro probably didn't even know who half of these people were lmfao

Why does the occasional story like this and the Nicola Bulley incident cause the social media conspiracy theorists to flip their wigs when there must be hundreds of people going missing every week? Are they responding to events reported by the regular media or are they creating the story which the media then picks up on? All very interesting in a not-particularly-interesting way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Why does the occasional story like this and the Nicola Bulley incident cause the social media conspiracy theorists to flip their wigs when there must be hundreds of people going missing every week? Are they responding to events reported by the regular media or are they creating the story which the media then picks up on? All very interesting in a not-particularly-interesting way.

I can't explain the Nicola Bulley craziness, but Slater had a criminal record which opened up possibilities for speculation.

But most missing persons go unreported in the media.

6 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I think sometimes media just happens to cling to one missing person because something fascinating about it happens, or they need a story because news is slow and they need something to report on.  This made me remember about Sherri Papini's story... The same time of her disappearance another girl around the same area was also missing. Stacey Smart.  The media went crazy over Sherri's disappearance because media admitted they thought she was pretty and the public would pay attention to her story.  Stacey was hardly noted by media.  Makes me angry for Stacey's family and then to find out Sherri's was faked makes me sick.

Hasn't it always been this way?

5 people a day die in RTA's in the UK, 1,700 a year. None of them make the news unless there's something that can tug at that emotive thread that equates to 'news', it has always been clickbait that gets the headlines so far as I can tell, even when there were no clicks.

Bored of hearing about this lad now. He’s dead. Can we move on and not play into the hands of media sensationalism and conspiracy theorists by giving it air?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the unlikely event Connie Converse is still alive she's 100 today

The good news being there's a  refreshing lack of citizen journalists and other YouTubers attending the ceremony in her home town: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c98q2nxjdn0o

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

In the unlikely event Connie Converse is still alive she's 100 today

The good news being there's a  refreshing lack of citizen journalists and other YouTubers attending the ceremony in her home town: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c98q2nxjdn0o

The fact that they never recovered her car suggests she drove into a body of water.

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The fact that they never recovered her car suggests she drove into a body of water.

Or pushed it in and went into witness protection where she helped prepare the safe house for Elvis - once they're both dead I expect the duets album composed entirely of her original songs to bring a new perspective to both careers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I uploaded a couple of her songs to Smule last year. Sadly not many takers since then, but I did my small bit. I’d probably liken her to Hank Williams rather than the ‘female Dylan’ she gets tagged with.

Maybe she hung around for a year and then went off in that UFO with Jim Sullivan.

On 27/02/2019 at 21:13, alt obits guy said:

Former Mousketeer Dennis Day has been missing for seven months.  Last seen in Phoenix, July 2018.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2019/02/27/disney-mouseketeer-dennis-day-missing-not-seen-7-months/3005019002/

From about a month ago:  Man sentenced to prison after pleading no contest to charges of criminally negligent homicide and abuse of a corpse, that of Dennis Day. Daniel Burda was a live-in handyman whom Day was trying to evict.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-sentenced-4-years-death-original-mickey-mouse-club-cast-member-rcna161315

(A couple of other entries in this thread from 2019 speak about Day's body being found.)

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

From about a month ago:  Man sentenced to prison after pleading no contest to charges of criminally negligent homicide and abuse of a corpse, that of Dennis Day. Daniel Burda was a live-in handyman whom Day was trying to evict.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-sentenced-4-years-death-original-mickey-mouse-club-cast-member-rcna161315

(A couple of other entries in this thread from 2019 speak about Day's body being found.)

I can't imagine how filthy that house must've been for a body to have lain under a pile of clothes for 9 months. Handyman wasn't up to much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Mike Lynch is missing after his yacht sunk off the coast of Sicily. 

Somewhat ironic that winning his extradition battle with the US could have cost him his life.