Crispy

Michael Aspel

He's not dead but Weaver's Week recently did a long career appraisal of Michael Aspel which was a good read for folk who enjoy these sorts of things. (Although it does read a bit like an obituary in places.)

Also, I genuinely didn't realise he was 88 now! Would have sworn 80 tops.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

He's not dead but Weaver's Week recently did a long career appraisal of Michael Aspel which was a good read for folk who enjoy these sorts of things. (Although it does read a bit like an obituary in places.)

Also, I genuinely didn't realise he was 88 now! Would have sworn 80 tops.

One of those people who always came across younger than he was I think. I remember him from This is Your Life growing up. I'd have said he wasn't more than about 50-55 when that finished. Turns out he was 70!

2 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

One of those people who always came across younger than he was I think. I remember him from This is Your Life growing up. I'd have said he wasn't more than about 50-55 when that finished. Turns out he was 70!

Same show but mid-90s. One vivid childhood TV memory is of Rula Lenska on This Is Your Life and they brought out her ancient mum who had escaped the Nazis during WW2. And after the end credits, the serious BBC voiceover man cut in to say something like "We regret to inform you that since this was recorded, Rula Lenska's mother has sadly died." Cue awws from all. 

• Like 1

DL 2024 surely?

• Like 3

315633672_9047611551919469_5333486874363

We've got a photo from last November at the annual meeting of the Max Miller Appreciation Society. Bonus Jimmy Cricket for formspotters as well.

• Like 1

Didn't he shag one of the Miss World contestants?A friend was saying that was Parky but could have sworn it was Aspel.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Didn't he shag one of the Miss World contestants?A friend was saying that was Parky but could have sworn it was Aspel.

I'd be surprised if it was only one.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Not as I recall that story, he said one of the contestants had offered herself to him in the hope of enhancing her chances of winning, he made it clear it wasn't going to happen and gave her a wide berth from then on. 

Frank Worthington and George Best on the other hand...:D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Not as I recall that story, he said one of the contestants had offered herself to him in the hope of enhancing her chances of winning, he made it clear it wasn't going to happen and gave her a wide berth from then on. 

Frank Worthington and George Best on the other hand...:D

And Bruce Forsyth. 

• Like 1

Mike Aspel returns to radio tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Another recent photo in today's Sunday Times magazine. He looks in good nick. Better candidates for 2024. 

GAbagsyWUAAgTPi.jpeg.jpg

He must have a picture in the attic.

• Like 1