Cat, you can still get Curly Wurlys. I believe they tend to be sold in the supermarket as they're classed as "retro" sweets along with wagon wheels and penguins.

They sell them in packs of five in Tesco. But fuck that shit, I buy a box of 48 from the cash and carry.

• Like 2

Cat, you can still get Curly Wurlys. I believe they tend to be sold in the supermarket as they're classed as "retro" sweets along with wagon wheels and penguins.

They sell them in packs of five in Tesco. But fuck that shit, I buy a box of 48 from the cash and carry.

They're a lot smaller too from when we were kids. There are a couple of places here where I can buy them

• Like 2

I've always sN-worded childishly at the American/Canadian useage of the word fanny. One incident nearly 10 years ago still makes me laugh, the night before my wedding we were at a "Gentleman's Club" in Canada, one of the girls was trying to talk one of us into a private dance when the bestman said something like " I bet you have a lovely fanny" to which she replied " I'd love you to spank it real hard " I just got him stopped in time!

• Like 2

They're a lot smaller too from when we were kids. There are a couple of places here where I can buy them

To be fair, when you are kids most things look big in your hands........

• Like 1

They have got smaller. I'll have to find the article that was done a few years ago where some of the leading food and grocery items have been reduced in size or weight, but the prices remained the same or increased.

They have got smaller. I'll have to find the article that was done a few years ago where some of the leading food and grocery items have been reduced in size or weight, but the prices remained the same or increased.

For one type of sweet, the Hershey bar, this has been the subject of scientific research: Philetic Size Decrease in Hershey Bars by Stephen Jay Gould.

When I went to the US with work I put onloads of weight because they served Hot Chocolate in all the meetings.

What, no doughnuts?
They would have served donuts, not doughnuts.

They would have served sweet bagels.

These are doughnuts:

doughnut.png

I'll go along with donuts, but sweet bagels? Never heard of them (until now). Dunkin' Sweet Bagels just doesn't have the same ring (no pun intended).
Don't know but that looks like a cultural rip-off of our good Polish folks that once lived in Hamtramck, MI and make Paçzkis by the dozen. It's Mardi Gras everywhere else but in Michigan it's aka Paçzki Day! They're delicious and 500 calories each. Don't waste time w Dunkin Donuts version.

SC

Lard you're my favourite person on DL. It's ok I won't embarrass you and tell anyone.

SC

When I went to the US with work I put onloads of weight because they served Hot Chocolate in all the meetings.

What, no doughnuts?

On a point of pedantry they wouldn't have served Hot Chocolate either unless Errol Brown et al where in every meeting Bibliogryphon attended. They might have served hot chocolate though.

On a different matter something which irritates me is when books are translated into American English for the British market.

Oh yes, and going back to the "bathroom" misusage, we call it a bathroom because it's got a BATH in it. Not a TUB.

You take a bath, or you have a bath. You don't take a tub. smiley-wagging-his-finger-saying-no-emot

• Like 1

What, no doughnuts?

On a point of pedantry they wouldn't have served Hot Chocolate either unless Errol Brown et al where in every meeting Bibliogryphon attended. They might have served hot chocolate though.

On a different matter something which irritates me is when books are translated into American English for the British market.

I've been in meetings here where there's a choice of coffee (regular and decaf ) and hot chocolate. Mind you it was -30c outside that day. And the company wanted to show their appreciation for so many people turning up early for the meeting. The next day however was even colder.

What, no doughnuts?
They would have served sweet bagels.

These are doughnuts:

doughnut.png

I'll go along with donuts, but sweet bagels? Never heard of them (until now). Dunkin' Sweet Bagels just doesn't have the same ring (no pun intended).
Don't know but that looks like a cultural rip-off of our good Polish folks that once lived in Hamtramck, MI and make Paçzkis by the dozen. It's Mardi Gras everywhere else but in Michigan it's aka Paçzki Day! They're delicious and 500 calories each. Don't waste time w Dunkin Donuts version.

SChttp://www.freep.com/story/life/food/2016/02/08/paczki-primer/80000436/

http://www.freep.com/story/life/food/2016/02/08/paczki-primer/80000436/

It took me a while to find it. but this is the size of a Curly Wurly when I was a kid. it was when I was a kid. Note the net weight on the pack 1oz (or 28.3495g) compared to what you get today which is 26g. Obviously the photos are not to scale, but just the weights are different.

CC_USA-Cadbury-CurlyWurly-wrapper-1976.j

fo_curlywurly.jpg

• Like 1

Language changes over time, and it also changes with distance. It can be difficult to accept this fact of life when you've had it drilled into you all your life that there is only one possible correct way. *shrug*

That said, I read a lot of fanfiction, and it bothers me when authors don't make the effort to have the characters speak correctly. British authors have American characters say things like "go to hospital" or "it's half five" or "what am I meant to do with this" (instead of 'supposed to,') etc. etc. And American authors have British characters talk about finding a parking lot, etc.

One thing that took me a while to get used to was lemonade. Of course having lived for over 30 years in England, I was used to R. Whites and/or Schweppes. So I was taken aback when I was offered and accepted a lemonade here in the U.S. that I was handed a glass of non-carbonated watered down sweetened lemon juice. I've found out that if I want anything close to what I'm used to, I'd need to purchase a Soda Stream, or get a Sprite or 7UP.

One thing that took me a while to get used to was lemonade. Of course having lived for over 30 years in England, I was used to R. Whites and/or Schweppes. So I was taken aback when I was offered and accepted a lemonade here in the U.S. that I was handed a glass of non-carbonated watered down sweetened lemon juice. I've found out that if I want anything close to what I'm used to, I'd need to purchase a Soda Stream, or get a Sprite or 7UP.

Surely Sprite and 7Up are lemonade of the type you mean? Commercial fizzy lemonade as opposed to home-made still lemonade made with fresh lemons.

They taste much the same to me as the branded ones like R.Whites or the generic supermarket own-brand ones.

I suppose it shows the power of a brand name. Like you rarely hear people asking for cola.

Surely Sprite and 7Up are lemonade of the type you mean? Commercial fizzy lemonade as opposed to home-made still lemonade made with fresh lemons.

They taste much the same to me as the branded ones like R.Whites or the generic supermarket own-brand ones.

I suppose it shows the power of a brand name. Like you rarely hear people asking for cola.

Yes, but at the time when someone asked "would you like a lemonade?" I thought they would give me something akin to R. Whites or Schweppes, usually I've found that if they offer a 7Up or Sprite they will called it by the brand name because 7Up is made by Pepsi, and Sprite is by Coca-Cola.

Exactly, they call it by the brand name. It's the same here, though. I often find if I say to someone getting drinks, "I'll have a lemonade please" they'll come back and say something like "I got you a Sprite, hope that's OK", as if it was something different.

Don't the likes of Wal-Mart or other supermarkets have their own version? What is that called?

Exactly, they call it by the brand name. It's the same here, though. I often find if I say to someone getting drinks, "I'll have a lemonade please" they'll come back and say something like "I got you a Sprite, hope that's OK", as if it was something different.

Don't the likes of Wal-Mart or other supermarkets have their own version? What is that called?

Some have their own brand, Target have their own brand called "Market Pantry" and Cub Foods' is called "Happy Shopper" or something similar.

But here if you ask for a lemonade you'll get that flat stuff, as for a Sprite they'll come back and say "we only have Pepsi products" or vice versa.

Unless you're in some states in the South, where they will just ask you "what Coke do you want?" and then they'll give you a list of the fizzy soft drinks that they have.

Some have their own brand, Target have their own brand called "Market Pantry" and Cub Foods' is called "Happy Shopper" or something similar.

But here if you ask for a lemonade you'll get that flat stuff, as for a Sprite they'll come back and say "we only have Pepsi products" or vice versa.

Unless you're in some states in the South, where they will just ask you "what Coke do you want?" and then they'll give you a list of the fizzy soft drinks that they have.

Yes, but within that brand they must call the individual drink something, or use some sort of description eg "lemon flavored soda drink" or whatever.

Not that our British lemonade tastes remotely like lemons :D

Whenever you see someone doing a crossword puzzle, say to them, '7 up is lemonade'. :huh:

• Like 2

Yes, but within that brand they must call the individual drink something, or use some sort of description eg "lemon flavored soda drink" or whatever.

Not that our British lemonade tastes remotely like lemons :D

Oh it's lemon something or other. Also there's always the debate of whether to call it pop or soda.

I'm playing my own personal anti-sc 'get the post count up' game and condensing my pointless comments into fewer posts where I remember.....

Bagels are doughnuts? Then the kind I've had in the UK are different, bagels are sort of dense, almost tough, and yes used with savoury fillings (such as soft cheese and smoked salmon) compared to what I'd call a doughnut which is softer and lighter.

Lemonade/ seven up/ sprite. Ya all taste exactly the same to me and not of lemons. The homemade stuff using actual lemons is completely different.

That said, refined and/or added sugar is the latest food demon, so it's while since I had any kind of fizzy drink or a doughnut. Have you seen the sugar content of the average fizzy drink? Shocking... :shock2:.

And, as it's pedants day (every day on DL...:)), what sort of crossword are you doing that has 'up'? :P

Still on crosswords, grab one in company, muse on 'overloaded postman' aloud. Wait for the bite...'How many letters?' Smile enigmatically as you reply 'thousands and thousands'. Yeah I know, but one takes ones juvenile amusement where one can.

• Like 3

Bagels aren't remotely like do(ugh)nuts (and I should know, I've eaten one bagel and loads of do(ugh)nuts). They are exactly how you describe them, though in my experience USAians have a tendecy to call things donuts which are more like round cakes with holes in, sponge-y rather than dough-y.

Sprite v 7up v (British) Lemonade - yeah all pretty much taste the same, but wasn't it sprite that boasted it had 'the great taste of Limon', i.e. Lemon and Lime?

I've just had a fizzy drink containing no sugars. Artificial sweeteners aplenty but no sugars.

Just thought I'd mention this in passing.

A discussion I was having the other day was over the difference between the words "enquire" and "inquire".

Here in the U.S. "inquire" is used in all situations.

The way I was taught was enquire was used in circumstances when information is asked eg. "Can you tell me where the train station is?" And inquire was for situations to describe an investigation. eg "Where you were on the night of the 16th with that knife?"

Does anyone else switch between enquire and inquire?