9 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

If we're throwing quizzes out there, I wrote our work's Christmas quiz last year... I can offer ten questions up from it now and if anyone's interested more as and when.

1. Who is the first talking animal Alice comes across in “Alice In Wonderland”? 
  2. What is the only word beginning with the letter “K” in the title of a James Bond film. 
  3. There are 19 versions of the “Real Housewives” reality TV franchise in total. Which was the first? Hint: it’s where both John Wayne and Richard Nixon died.
  4. Which mythological character, first created for an internet Photoshop contest in 2009, is usually depicted as being a tall, suit-wearing male with no face and tentacles for arms? 
  5. Which haircut - named after an item of crockery - is officially designated by the Anti-Defamation League as a symbol of white supremacy? Notable sporters of the haircut include Henry V and Moe Howard from the Stooges
  6. Which artform links the names Vivian Maier, Cecil Beaton and Weegie? 
  7. The group of relatively young women of color progressive politicians known as “The Squad” consists of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rachida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar... and who else? She was the first black woman elected to Congress for Massacheussets. 
  8. What name is shared by the Jamaican-born Marxist sociologist who co-founded the New Left Review, and the disgraced BBC sports commentator who went to prison in 2013 after pleading guilty to 17 counts of sexual assault on women under the age of 16? 
  9. The only English league football team who play in a constituency that voted Liberal Democrat at the 2017 election play in the constituency of Kingston and Surbiton. Which football team is it?
  10. The main character of which sitcom had 66 sexual partners during the show’s run, including paramours played by Courtney Cox, Debra Messing, Teri Hatcher, Sarah Silverman and Janeane Garofalo.

Spoiler

1. The Hare. (This has trick question written all over it)

2. Kill as in A View to a Kill.

3. New York City?

4. Slender Man

5. no idea

6. post-modern?

7. no idea

8. Stuart Hall.

9. thats a South London side then. Hmm...Charlton?

10. Frasier Crane? He did have a ludicrous number of partners for someone who the show revolves around not being any good with women.

15 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

If we're throwing quizzes out there, I wrote our work's Christmas quiz last year... I can offer ten questions up from it now and if anyone's interested more as and when.

2. What is the only word beginning with the letter “K” in the title of a James Bond film. 
  3. There are 19 versions of the “Real Housewives” reality TV franchise in total. Which was the first? Hint: it’s where both John Wayne and Richard Nixon died.
  4. Which mythological character, first created for an internet Photoshop contest in 2009, is usually depicted as being a tall, suit-wearing male with no face and tentacles for arms? 
  5. Which haircut - named after an item of crockery - is officially designated by the Anti-Defamation League as a symbol of white supremacy? Notable sporters of the haircut include Henry V and Moe Howard from the Stooges
  7. The group of relatively young women of color progressive politicians known as “The Squad” consists of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rachida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar... and who else? She was the first black woman elected to Congress for Massacheussets. 
  8. What name is shared by the Jamaican-born Marxist sociologist who co-founded the New Left Review, and the disgraced BBC sports commentator who went to prison in 2013 after pleading guilty to 17 counts of sexual assault on women under the age of 16? 
  9. The only English league football team who play in a constituency that voted Liberal Democrat at the 2017 election play in the constituency of Kingston and Surbiton. Which football team is it?
  10. The main character of which sitcom had 66 sexual partners during the show’s run, including paramours played by Courtney Cox, Debra Messing, Teri Hatcher, Sarah Silverman and Janeane Garofalo.

Well, I bombed on that one...

Spoiler

1. White Rabbit

2. Killing

3. … Somewhere in the USA.  Arizona?

4. Slenderman

5. Puddingbowl

6. Stand up comedy?

7. ... 

8. … I really should know this 

9. Wimbledon?

10. 2 and a half men?

21 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Incidentally this is the only opera I have ever been to see and we went when we were in Rome - it says a lot about opera that it is only now that I have discovered that it is actually set in Rome!

The other amusing thing was that we got seats right in the back row of the gods - extremely high and extremely steep view down. At the end of the opera in question the dramatic ending involves the lead character throwing themselves to their death off the castle ramparts - we were so high up we actually saw her bounce back up again which somewhat reduced the drama - everyone else gasped whilst we laughed.

Allegedly, there was once a soprano who made herself so unpopular with the backstage crew that they replaced the crash mat with a trampoline, causing her to ruin her tragic exit by bouncing back up in view of the whole audience...

msc: 3

paddyfool: 4

The answers:

Spoiler

1. White Rabbit (resigned sighs and a point for "her sister"

2. Kill

3. Orange County (Orange County's airport is named after John Wayne iirc)

4. Slenderman

5. Pudding bowl

6. Photography

7. Ayana Pressley

8. Stuart Hall

9. AFC Wimbledon

10. Seinfeld

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Let’s see:

1. White Rabbit

2. Kill?

3. Somewhere in California, maybe

4. Um, Squidward? No fucking idea 

5. It’s a Nazi haircut, but I’m not sure there’s an exact name

6. Maybe it’s sculpture, dunno?

7. Ayanna Pressley. My knowledge in politics helps me here

8. Rolf Harris?

9. Barley? 
10. No idea

I know 4 (without googling, of course), and would have to take a guess at the haircut.

The answers:

Reveal hidden contents

2. Kill

4. Slenderman

5. Pudding bowl

6. Photography

7. Ayana Pressley

8. Stuart Hall

9. AFC Wimbledon

10. Seinfeld

I didn't enter the answers but I also got 4 (Numbers 1, 5, 6, & 8)

The answers:

Hide contents

2. Kill

4. Slenderman

5. Pudding bowl

6. Photography

7. Ayana Pressley

8. Stuart Hall

9. AFC Wimbledon

10. Seinfeld

3 and a half I guess. I kind of guessed 3 right but it wasn’t good enough I’m guessing. 

3 hours ago, paddyfool said:

So I'm meant to be doing a pub quiz style thing for my siblings in a zoom chat. Their trivia knowledge is generally strong. How fair or harsh do you think this selection of questions might be? The idea for this round is to have a range of difficulties and cover a fairly wide range of music genres: 

"Music of the 20th Century round"

1) 1900: which opera by Pucchini, set in Rome in 1800, premiered in 1900?

2) 1910: Which ballet by Stravinski based on Russian fairy tales was written for Diaghilev's 1910 season?

3) 1920: Holst's Planets suite was first performed in full in this year. Which planet does not have a movement?

4) 1930: Which famous blind pianist was born in this year?

5) 1940: Whose band had a number one hit with "In the mood" in this year?

6) 1950: What Christmas song about a flying creature was a number one hit in this year?

7) 1960: The band "Johnny and the Moondogs" changed their name to what in this year?

8) 1970: Who had a number one hit with a live performance of "The Wonder of you" in this year?

9) 1980: What film released in this year featured performances by James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Cab Calloway and a certain blind pianist?

10) 1990: What song released in this year that made extensive use of the prominent opening riff from Rick James' "Superfreak" went on to win Grammys in 1991 for "best R&B song" and "Best Rap solo performance", as well as "Best Rap Video" and "Best Dance Video" at the 1990 MTV music awards?

Spoiler

1 Turandot

2 Nutcracker

3 Uranus

4 Ray Charles

5 Glenn Miller

6 Rudolf The Red-Nosed reindeer

7 The Beatles

8 Elvis Presley

9 The BluesBrothers

10 No idea

^ My answers, done without looking

3 minutes ago, time said:
  Reveal hidden contents

1 Turandot

2 Nutcracker

3 Uranus

4 Ray Charles

5 Glenn Miller

6 Rudolf The Red-Nosed reindeer

7 The Beatles

8 Elvis Presley

9 The BluesBrothers

10 No idea

^ My answers, done without looking

5. Disappointing.

I'd post my Christmas Quiz but 1) its on my laptop & I can't be arsed, 2) its a powerpoint presentation so I've no idea how I'd do it and 3) its not Christmas!

3 hours ago, paddyfool said:

So I'm meant to be doing a pub quiz style thing for my siblings in a zoom chat. Their trivia knowledge is generally strong. How fair or harsh do you think this selection of questions might be? The idea for this round is to have a range of difficulties and cover a fairly wide range of music genres: 

2) 1910: Which ballet by Stravinski based on Russian fairy tales was written for Diaghilev's 1910 season?

3) 1920: Holst's Planets suite was first performed in full in this year. Which planet does not have a movement?

6) 1950: What Christmas song about a flying creature was a number one hit in this year?

7) 1960: The band "Johnny and the Moondogs" changed their name to what in this year?

8) 1970: Who had a number one hit with a live performance of "The Wonder of you" in this year?

9) 1980: What film released in this year featured performances by James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Cab Calloway and a certain blind pianist?

10) 1990: What song released in this year that made extensive use of the prominent opening riff from Rick James' "Superfreak" went on to win Grammys in 1991 for "best R&B song" and "Best Rap solo performance", as well as "Best Rap Video" and "Best Dance Video" at the 1990 MTV music awards?

I can confidently answer 5, 9, and 10, and I’m pretty sure I heard of 7 too but can’t think of what that might be. I also have a stab at 4 and 2, let’s see.

1. 1800 Rome? Opera is certainly not my forte

2. Oh, is this the Nutcracker?

3. Pluto, unless that’s not considered a planet (not found till either 1929 or 1930). Then I don’t know

4. My first instinct is Ray Charles, but for some reason my brain says 1932

5. Glenn Miller Orchestra

6. Better not be the Chipmunk song 

7. Okay, I’m looking this one up since I know the band but can’t exactly remember which band it is. EDIT: Of course it’s the Beatles 

8. Sinatra?

9. Blues Brother

10. You can’t touch this, MC Hammer[/s]

9 minutes ago, time said:

5. Disappointing.

I'd post my Christmas Quiz but 1) its on my laptop & I can't be arsed, 2) its a powerpoint presentation so I've no idea how I'd do it and 3) its not Christmas!

I count 6 correct answers, if that makes you feel better.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I can confidently answer 5, 9, and 10, and I’m pretty sure I heard of 7 too but can’t think of what that might be. I also have a stab at 4 and 2, let’s see.

Reveal hidden contents

3. Pluto, unless that’s not considered a planet (not found till either 1929 or 1930). Then I don’t know

7. Okay, I’m looking this one up since I know the band but can’t exactly remember which band it is. EDIT: Of course it’s the Beatles 

8. Sinatra?

9. Blues Brother

2 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

I count 6 correct answers, if that majes you feel better.

I was convinced I had number 7 wrong :rolleyes:!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

There are 19 versions of the “Real Housewives” reality TV franchise in total. Which was the first? Hint: it’s where both John Wayne and Richard Nixon died.

Just realized this is a bit misleading. Nixon didn’t die there. However, he was born in said location. 

Does anyone else now have the tune from 10 stuck in their head?

Also, seeing as everyone got 4, 5 and 9 right, did I make these specific questions too easy? Likewise as nobody got 2, did I make that one too hard?

19 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Reveal hidden contents

8. Sinatra?

9. Blues Brother

I think if you know 9, you will also know 4.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I think if you know 9, you will also know 4.

Yeah, I think the clue in 9 may have made 4 too easy.

10 hours ago, paddyfool said:

Let's have a look then. I'm always in charge of the music questions in my pub quiz team.

Spoiler

1) Tosca

2) 'Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy' is my best (probably crap) guess?

3) Holst's what? Nah, not a chance.

4) Ray Charles. Ledge.

5) Glenn Miller

6) Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?

7) The Beatles. :shoot:

8) Elvis

9) Nope, I'm hopeless at films

10) Derrr ner ner ner, der ner, der ner CAN'T TOUCH THIS

EDIT: Marked. 7/10. Meh.

Not bad questions!

9 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Spoiler

The White Rabbit

Kill as in View to a Kill

Orange County

Slenderman

Bowl/Basin Cut

photography

No Idea

Stuart Hall

Yeovil

Family Ties

I may have made this quiz round too tricky.  Tried to compensate a bit by setting wide intervals for correct answers, but it'll be good to see how you get on:

The Olympics

1) The Ancient Greek Olympics are believed to have first been held in 776 BC.  But when was a ban on the games imposed which led to them being suspended until the modern era? [Full mark if correct to within 100 years, half if correct to within 200]

2) When was the first Olympic games of the modern era held? [Half mark if within 10 years]

3) When did "Tug of War" last feature as an event in the Olympics? [Mark if within 10 years]

4) What is the Olympic record in the pole vault to the nearest metre?

5) Traditionally, the title "World's Greatest Athlete" is given to the man and woman who win which two events? [Half a mark for each]

6) When did China first win an Olympic medal? (Mark if within 10 years)

7) Which country has taken part in the most summer Olympics without ever winning a medal?

8) The first Olympic drug suspension was of a Swedish pentathlete in 1968.  What drug were they found guilty of consuming?

9) Name two new sports which will appear at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?

10) Where will the next winter Olympics be held in 2022?

Spoiler

1. 1 AD

2. 1896

3. 1920

4. 6.10m

5. x

6. If you mean the People's Republic of China, then 1952

7. Afghanistan

8. Alcohol

9. BMX & 3x3 basketball

10. Beijing

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

I may have made this quiz round too tricky.  Tried to compensate a bit by setting wide intervals for correct answers, but it'll be good to see how you get on:

The Olympics

1) The Ancient Greek Olympics are believed to have first been held in 776 BC.  But when was a ban on the games imposed which led to them being suspended until the modern era? [Full mark if correct to within 100 years, half if correct to within 200]

2) When was the first Olympic games of the modern era held? [Half mark if within 10 years]

3) When did "Tug of War" last feature as an event in the Olympics? [Mark if within 10 years]

4) What is the Olympic record in the pole vault to the nearest metre?

5) Traditionally, the title "World's Greatest Athlete" is given to the man and woman who win which two events? [Half a mark for each]

6) When did China first win an Olympic medal? (Mark if within 10 years)

7) Which country has taken part in the most summer Olympics without ever winning a medal?

8) The first Olympic drug suspension was of a Swedish pentathlete in 1968.  What drug were they found guilty of consuming?

9) Name two new sports which will appear at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?

10) Where will the next winter Olympics be held in 2022?

1. I believe it got banned around 300 BC or so

2. 1896

3. 1936

4. 15 meters, I guess

5. Hurdles and sprints?

6. 1984

7. South Africa 

8. Given the year, LSD?

9. I’m pretty baseball is one, I’ll guess badminton as a random guess because why not?

10. Switzerland I guess

This is coming from someone who has no interest in the Olympics. :lol:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Newjack said:
  Reveal hidden contents

1. 1 AD

2. 1896

3. 1920

4. 6.10m

5. x

6. If you mean the People's Republic of China, then 1952

7. Afghanistan

8. Alcohol

9. BMX & 3x3 basketball

10. Beijing

6 marks.  Well done!

14 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Reveal hidden contents

1. I believe it got banned around 300 BC or so

2. 1896

3. 1936

4. 15 meters, I guess

5. Hurdles and sprints?

6. 1984

7. South Africa 

8. Given the year, LSD?

9. I’m pretty baseball is one, I’ll guess badminton as a random guess because why not?

10. Switzerland I guess

This is coming from someone who has no interest in the Olympics. :lol:

2.5 marks.  Still not bad, since as I said, I reckon these were tricky

The correct answers:

Spoiler

1. 394 AD (they ran for over a thousand years, until they were banned by the Roman Emperor Theodosius I for being pagan)

2. 1896 (in Athens, Greece)

3. 1920

4. 6.03 metres, so 6 metres

5. Decathlon and Heptathlon

6. 1984

7. Monaco

8. Alcohol

9. I'll accept any two from Climbing, Skateboarding, Surfing, Karate, 3x3 basketball, freestyle BMX, Madison cycling, Baseball, and Softball (although the last two events were previously seen in 2008 and some previous years)

10. Beijing

• Like 1