Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

Soviet shot putter 1952 gold medalist Galina Zybina, dead at 93

West German field hockey player Peter Kraus who was part of the 9172 gold winning team, dead at 83

• Like 2

Charles Hewett (Wiki), American cyclist who competed in the team pursuit at the 1960 Summer Olympics dead at 95

He served also in the US Air Force during the Korean War.

image.png.593c9d3c81c7b05917abdfdabf291650.png

An honorary Olympian of sorts...

No Wikipedia page but I see U.S. lacrosse player Bill Coleman turned 100 on August 8th. He represented his country at a demonstration event at the 1948 Olympics. Also a WWII veteran. Looked frail last year on his 99th birthday so perhaps worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 3

Heinrich Thun Austrian former world number 1 hammer thrower and twice-Olympian dead aged 86.

• Like 2

Daniela Larreal Chirinos, a five-time Venezuelan Olympian and leading cyclist in her home country for a couple of decades, has died . She was 50. Chirinos reportedly passed after choking on food in her Las Vegas apartment.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/20/daniela-larreal-chirinos-olympian-dead

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

What event please?

Boxing.

• Like 1

Just now, YoungWillz said:

What event please?

Did you not get a glimpse of the photo from the link? You don't need a word of Italian to spot boxing gloves, so my guess is boxing, unless his mum was there to prevent him entering the middleweight division of knocking one out - which I could have entrered aged 16 but not sure was ever an olympic event as such.

1 minute ago, max_bossetti said:

Boxing.

Weight class?

3 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Did you not get a glimpse of the photo from the link? You don't need a word of Italian to spot boxing gloves, so my guess is boxing, unless his mum was there to prevent him entering the middleweight division of knocking one out - which I could have entrered aged 16 but not sure was ever an olympic event as such.

Got it actually from "pugile". 

If the information was in the OP I wouldn't have to ask for clarity on the Forum.

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Weight class?

Bantamweight.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Got it actually from "pugile". 

If the information was in the OP I wouldn't have to ask for clarity on the Forum.

Oh I'm sure you were aware I was only using it as a springboard for joking about and personally I have little interest in boxing, so don't care what weight he was, in fact unless he was on one of my teams I can't say I care at all whatever the weight. This place is full of people I never heard of. The information was in the OP, you just have to be Italian :)

Nojim Maiyegun (wiki), Nigerian Olympic bronze-medalist boxer, dead at 83.

First Nigerian to ever win an Olympic medal (1964, Tokyo).

• Like 5

On 15/12/2021 at 13:50, jcc said:

Byron LaBeach dead at 91. Competed at the 1952 Helsinki games in the 100m and was an alternate for the record breaking 4x400m quartet of Wint, Rhoden, Laing and McKenley. Incidentally, George Rhoden celebrated his 95th birthday two days ago in Kingston, Ja.

On 15/12/2021 at 13:50, jcc said:

Byron LaBeach dead at 91. Competed at the 1952 Helsinki games in the 100m and was an alternate for the record breaking 4x400m quartet of Wint, Rhoden, Laing and McKenley. Incidentally, George Rhoden celebrated his 95th birthday two days ago in Kingston, Ja.

George Rhoden dead at 97 https://x.com/TvjNewscentre/status/1828158074898522311

• Like 5

Kurt Bendlin, German former Olympic bronze medallist in Decathlon at the 1968 Games and former world record holder in that discipline, reportedly dead: https://www-antennemuenster-de.translate.goog/artikel/weltrekord-und-bronze-ex-zehnkaempfer-bendlin-ist-tot-2089454.html?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

• Like 1

Alexander Medved has died at the age of 86. He was a three-time Olympic freestyle wrestling champion - in 1964, 1968 and 1972. He was also world champion seven times and European champion three times. He was USSR champion nine times. 

wrestling.by

medved.jpg

• Like 1

Ugandan athlete Rebecca Cheptegei (wikiset ablaze by her partner. Now hospitalised and prognosis is unclear.

• Sad 1

3 September in Miami (USA) died Vladimir Bure (73) - Soviet swimmer, winner of the Olympic Games (1968, 1972), World Championships (1973, 1975) and European Championships (1970, 1974, 1977); father of hockey players Valery and Pavel Bure.

ru.wiki

16 minutes ago, CalebH said:

sonia-iovan-1.jpeg

Sonia Iovan

Bronze medalist in 56 and 60 for Romania in the team all around(Gymanstics)

Dead at 88

Your link just directs to this forum…

Beside being late as Internet Explorer.

Was away all day and nothing happened. Talk about dry spells.