Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

Guest Sir Creep

Joukko Törmänen, finnish ski jumper and gold-medal winner in 1980, has died at 60:

http://yle.fi/urheil...kuollut/7718929 (finnish link)

Dude you couldn't take the time (15 seconds) to google his name and locate a link to a story in ENGLISH?!

SC

Vlastimil Bubník died January 6, 2015; was a Czech ice hockey player and footballer. He won a bronze medal at the 1964 Winter Olympics. He was inducted into the International Ice Hockey Federation Hall of Fame in 1997.

• Like 1

Joukko Törmänen, finnish ski jumper and gold-medal winner in 1980, has died at 60:

http://yle.fi/urheil...kuollut/7718929 (finnish link)

Dude you couldn't take the time (15 seconds) to google his name and locate a link to a story in ENGLISH?!

SC

No, Google News gives the headlines in my native language (German) first. Then there are a couple of links in finnish (which I would say is my best option since Törmänen was also finnish), and swedish. I guess the death only came to my knowledge because the Four hills tournament was taking place at the same time, so it made the news. I am a bit of a fan of that sport myself. You're welcome to add an english link though. I couldn't find it that easily, and it might be that there was no english obituary at the day I posted this.

Toller Cranston figure skating Olympic medallist whose creativity changed his sport’s esthetic, has died in Mexico at age 65. Toller was the Canadian senior men’s champion from 1971 to 1976. He won the free-skate segment of the world championship four times and won the bronze medal at the Olympic Games in Innsbruck, Austria.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2015/01/24/toller-cranston-figure-skating-legend-dies-in-mexico-at-age-65.html

• Like 1

Johan Martin Ferner died today. He was a Norwegian sailor and Olympic medalist. He won a silver medal in the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki. He was married to Princess Astrid, the sister of King Harald V of Norway. He was also the brother-in-law of Princess Ragnhild.

http://www.royalcourt.no/nyhet.html?tid=124700&sek=27262

He turned up as a pointless answer on Pointless this weekend, so - despite the gold medal winning performance - he didn't make that much national impact, then.

• Like 1

He turned up as a pointless answer on Pointless this weekend, so - despite the gold medal winning performance - he didn't make that much national impact, then.

I vaguely remember him being seen around a lot with Princess Anne, before she married Mark Phillips. My mum thought he was lovely, and was disappointed when it turned out that it was Mark who was in the saddle.

Whaddya reckon to Andy Murray as a DL pick for 2016? I know he's healthy, but he keeps choking.

• Like 2

Whaddya reckon to Andy Murray as a DL pick for 2016? I know he's healthy, but he keeps choking.

I'm really tired of bore-face Murray so didn't cheer him on today. First time I've completely skipped a Grand Slam final since about 2010 I think.

I mean, you'd think that all the money he has and being the one who finally ended that long drought for British men at Wimbledon in 2013 would put some fire in the guy's belly. So so sick of hearing his incredibly fucking dreary voice he's never been half-as-appealing as good old Henman. There's a choker you can love, like Jimmy White.

Although it's not completely Murray's fault cos the game itself has just become very dull and robotic, Henman was the last gasp of the awesome serve-and-volley era. Still can't stand the dull prick though.

Not officially confirmed yet, by Judoka Dennis van der Geest tweeted his demise.

Dutch judoka Wim Ruska, twice gold medalist in the open and heavyweight class in the Munich Olympics of 1972, (allegedly) died at the age of 74 today.

Not officially confirmed yet, by Judoka Dennis van der Geest tweeted his demise.

Dutch judoka Wim Ruska, twice gold medalist in the open and heavyweight class in the Munich Olympics of 1972, (allegedly) died at the age of 74 today.

Dutch news site nu.nl has the news.

I'm now waiting for a DDP approved news source to pick up the story to bag my first DDP 2015 theme team points.

regards,

Hein

Not officially confirmed yet, by Judoka Dennis van der Geest tweeted his demise. Dutch judoka Wim Ruska, twice gold medalist in the open and heavyweight class in the Munich Olympics of 1972, (allegedly) died at the age of 74 today.

Dutch news site nu.nl has the news.I'm now waiting for a DDP approved news source to pick up the story to bag my first DDP 2015 theme team points.regards,Hein

I don't doubt the veracity of a link in a language I can't read; however, it's been a couple days and, needing a little more than 1 rumor that is confirmed by 1 link to an article I can't read. Google and Yahoo searches come up empty though I saw a couple cockle few on his FB page. Wikipedia.NL not even 'updated'. Just like us DLers, we all like to be FIRST with updating info and wiki has it's dedicated updaters, yet remains void of a date of death. You got anything else confirming the rumored death of a gold medalist besides that lonely link? I'd beg for something in English but beggars can't be choosers.

Sir C

Condolences = cockle few

Auto text crap. Though it's almost Freudian.

SC

I love you for posting that, but it's not what the doctor ordered. The DDP celebrity rules state:

"Celebrity" means someone who, upon their death, gets a written obituary in a British national newspaper or on the BBC News website.

It seems those bloody Brits can't be arsed to copy and paste it to a DDP approved news site. Oh well, 10 more months till 2016.

regards,

Hein

I love you for posting that, but it's not what the doctor ordered. The DDP celebrity rules state:

"Celebrity" means someone who, upon their death, gets a written obituary in a British national newspaper or on the BBC News website.

It seems those bloody Brits can't be arsed to copy and paste it to a DDP approved news site. Oh well, 10 more months till 2016.regards,Hein

Yeah, I understood that; I just wanted to satisfy Sir Creep's request (I meant to quote his previous post...), as he just wanted something besides that link confirming the death (in English). I presumed that he wanted it for their US-based competition and not the local DDP, but I may have been wrong.

• Like 2

It seems those bloody Brits can't be arsed to copy and paste it to a DDP approved news site.

We're getting closer: Washington Post

regards,

Hein

We're getting closer: Washington Post

Closer...

Or perhaps clutching at straws. I'd be, ehrm, disappointed if he'd end up in the List of the Lost.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1