Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

We're getting closer: Washington Post

Closer...Or perhaps clutching at straws. I'd be, ehrm, disappointed if he'd end up in the List of the Lost.regards,Hein

And you should be. We all should be. You win a gold medal you should be given a bit more love by the media upon passing than this guy is getting. If nothing else this is enlightening.

SC

PS: it's Medalist ONE L can so done change the gaff in the title to this forum?

• Like 1

We're getting closer: Washington Post

Closer...Or perhaps clutching at straws. I'd be, ehrm, disappointed if he'd end up in the List of the Lost.regards,Hein

And you should be. We all should be. You win a gold medal you should be given a bit more love by the media upon passing than this guy is getting. If nothing else this is enlightening.

SC

PS: it's Medalist ONE L can so done change the gaff in the title to this forum?

The correct spelling is medallist with a double L.

Medallist. :P

American English strikes again. Here's one guys attempt at listing them. It's two L's this side of the pond and one L that side.

Whilst on the topic of spelling, I discovered a new word today because I wondered if today's online edition of the Observer had made an error (in an Editorial about Peter Oborne / The Daily Torygraph) or if I was simply losing it. They used the word complaisant and I'd never come across it before and thus pondered if maybe it was a misspelling of complacent (this is after all the Sunday version of the fabled Grauniad).... turns out it isn't and my vocabulary is one word larger than it was previously (not that I'll A: remember or B: ever use it).

Oh and misspell is also often er, misspelled.

Miles off topic, as I usually am, sue me.

You say American English like it's a bad thing.

En Passant they say use a new word three times in a day and it's yours forever. I say bullshit--a word I'll be using 20x today.

SC

En Passant they say use a new word three times in a day and it's yours forever. I say bullshit--a word I'll be using 20x today.

SC

Bad? Not particularly. Let us merely say it is cross-Atlantic badinage.

And on that note, the language is actually called English, this site is in the UK and therefore as a matter of courtesy if nothing else, one should not attempt to stomp all over local customs with ones own version of them. When and if I post to a site in the US, I shall happily spell the likes of color, medalist, or even heaven help me, aluminum as asked (if it ever comes up). ;)

• Like 4

SC

Bad? Not particularly. Let us merely say it is cross-Atlantic badinage.

And on that note, the language is actually called English, this site is in the UK and therefore as a matter of courtesy if nothing else, one should not attempt to stomp all over local customs with ones own version of them. When and if I post to a site in the US, I shall happily spell the likes of color, medalist, or even heaven help me, aluminum as asked (if it ever comes up). ;)

One word to surely make me cringe everytime, especially when it comes from the mouth of a newsreader, is "winningest".

• Like 4

I note, Sir Creep, that you have posted elsewhere, but not responded to this, I shall therefore consider myself amongst the most winningest posters here (argh, that actually hurt phantom, I see your point).

I note, Sir Creep, that you have posted elsewhere, but not responded to this, I shall therefore consider myself amongst the most winningest posters here (argh, that actually hurt phantom, I see your point).

*ugh* that word!

• Like 1

Shot his bolt cartridge.

Scottish marathon runner Joe McGhee dead at 86:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/more-sport/athletics/scottish-marathon-runner-joe-mcghee-dies-aged-86-1-3747414

He won gold at the Commonwealth//empire Games of 1954. His victory however was overshadowed by the collapse of long-time race leader and favorite Jim Peters.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/more-sport/athletics/scottish-marathon-runner-joe-mcghee-dies-aged-86-1-3747414

He won gold at the Commonwealth//empire Games of 1984. His victory however was overshadowed by the collapse of long-time race leader and favorite Jim Peters.

Not sure what Empire Games are but a 51-year old won a marathon?

SC

He won gold at the Commonwealth//empire Games of 1984. His victory however was overshadowed by the collapse of long-time race leader and favorite Jim Peters.

SC

LOL good catch. It's a typo.

There were no Commonwealth Games in '84, this race was 30 years earlier in '54.

SC

LOL good catch. It's a typo.

There were no Commonwealth Games in '84, this race was 30 years earlier in '54.

Yes thanks, corrected. I guess my mind carried over the 8 from the age to the year. And now I had to check, the article is technically wrong twice by first calling these games the "1954 Commonwealth Games" and then the "then known as the Empire Games" because in 1954, the name of the event was the "British Empire and Commonwealth Games". There was a transition in name that matched the dissolution of the Empire:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Games

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
Posts moved from Time Added thread

Bet he wins dead man's float competition

SC

Tough crowd.

Tip your wait staff they're working hard....