Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2008

You would then re-choose your joker.

It happened to me twice last year - I named Wilma Dykeman with Joker, then Saddam Hussein. In the end, Messner got it, bless her.

Ultimately if people die in the last few days of the year, it will be sorted out that no-one misses out, yet no-one gets an advantage by it going into January.

Also, CP (or anyone else), you could name a sub joker when entering your team should you want to.

Okay, thanks for the info! Don't figure it'll be a big deal, but I thought I'd ask. I sense that you may be frustrated, by the way, judging from the front page of the DDP.

What, you've picked Christodoulus too, I was hoping to extend my joker points with a unique pick bonus where he was concerned!

C'mon Maryport, the world and his bleeding wife knows about Christodoulos! ;)

I've actually had a re-think about my joker and will take my chance on someone else.... ;)

Yeah sorry MPFC, but he's not exactly a big secret. In the last few weeks he's risen from the mid-20s on my list to 6th place on my list. It's a pretty solid choice.

TMIB: Had a re-think and are going to take a chance on someone else? I have a feeling that we're going to end up with the same joker based on that sentence. So much for that unique pick bonus. ;)

What, you've picked Christodoulus too, I was hoping to extend my joker points with a unique pick bonus where he was concerned!

C'mon Maryport, the world and his bleeding wife knows about Christodoulos! ;)

I've actually had a re-think about my joker and will take my chance on someone else.... ;)

Are you telling me every married woman on Earth is having a period at this moment!! I mean, sometimes my Aspergers gets the better of me and I struggle to understand stuff, but that can't be true, surely.

That ain't gonna happen, I can tell you that much, MPFC. ;)

I sense that you may be frustrated, by the way, judging from the front page of the DDP.

That wasn't actually me, as I 'm not really supposed to fiddle with the front page until 2008! ;)

But yes, there have been numerous ineligible picks, already dead picks, picks with spelling mistakes that would embarrass my 3 yr old nephew, unclear picks (i.e. people of the same name but no other clue as to which one they mean - I have had to second-guess) and so on.

However - that is all par for the course, and often happens early on.

Hopefully, the big guns will enter soon & when they do, they'll do none of the above... I hope!

Sorry to post-whore, but just noticed this on the football thread:-

Out of curiosity, and maybe you can reply in the DDP 2008 thread instead, since it's off topic but, without giving names of course, are these obscure celebs that happen to be dead or more "very obviously dead" celebs like in 2007?

All of them are well-known. The only one who isn't, still clearly has a Wikipedia page signifying that he died in 2005 & what's more, of the first 10 google results for his name, two mention his death.

One dead celeb, US-based, who died in 2005, has been named twice by two different teams!

Other picks died in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 & two this year in 2007 - one of them is on the DDP already, quite clearly dead as a dodo, and the other, again, was well-reported & a Google & Wiki search on them takes two seconds to say they are dead.

The worst offender thus far is someone who died in 1959! ;) SB & RK have assured me that is NOT an all-time record - one pick in previous years died in 1878!!!!!!! ;)

None of them, are say, like Rudolf Rominger, Bob Roessler, Helen Gardiner or Mansour who are listed as alive somewhere, but actually dead. If they were, those teams would get a chance to name someone else - as it is, the teams who have entered the dead picks so far - tough sh*t... it says to research your names on the rules!

CP, I will reveal those already dead picks picked when I upload the first e-mail in 2008.

Quick reminder - about 48 hours to enter your team if you haven't done so already! (And most DL'rs haven't, preferring to wait til 23.59 on the 31st Dec no doubt... :sicktherm: )

Think the current teams total is just shy of 300 & the celebs total.. I've lost count, bout 1,500 ish I think...

Still the names of people long deceased keep coming in - have these people not heard of Google?!? The complete roll of shame will be coming soon.

If I can shake this cold I have presently & hoping no big celeb goes in the next 48-72 hours then the 2008 competition might - just might - be up earlier than normal...

I'm in OoO and since I've become somewhat accustomed to my role as the whipping boy who selects nonentities on the very fringe of acceptable entry I've sent you a separate message leading to information and pictures for those of my picks not currently on your database. Let the games commence, or summat.

I'm in. Only my second year of entry, I came a poor =138th this year (unless someone on my list kindly pegs it today) with 24 points, and am sure I can do no better than that this year! I'm feeling a renewed sense of excitement at getting up every morning to check the news! Good luck everyone :-)

Well I'm in but I can't say I'm proud about my list. Only one possible unique pick I fear and far too many B-listers but nothing in the MPFC "bloke who owns the best chip shop in Maryport" category.

Im in too....hoping to improve on a very poor 2007 :sicktherm:

Well I'm in but I can't say I'm proud about my list. Only one possible unique pick I fear and far too many B-listers but nothing in the MPFC "bloke who owns the best chip shop in Maryport" category.

Ooh you bitch, a chain of chip shops and I'd give it a punt, but one?! Granted, I've spent a little time over the festive season attempting to peg a few who'll net a paragraph in the news pages rather than the full blown obit but, them's the rules. I'll admit now that I'm taking a risk or two mainly because it's more interesting that way.

Happy New Year Godot.

My team is finally in. Left Wheeler and Sharon to the HDP and Ramsay to the CPDP. As a bonus, the joker that I was wavering on whether or not he would get an obit just got some press in the Telegraph, so fingers crossed eh?

Thanks to everyone who has entered thus far - not long to go now!

It will be a record entry - there's about 450 teams & 1,700 odd celebs.

To all of those who entered today, confirmation e-mails will come to you as soon as is possible - but this may not be until the 2nd onwards.

I will close the entry form tomorrow as soon as I have the chance, do a little cosmetic stuff & aim to have the names up & running asap.

I am not going to reveal any teams or picks, so if anyone wants to post their choices, feel free - when I get the chance, I'll post mine.

I'll also keep people in touch with who's dead & was selected in the first few days of January.

Thanks for your continued patience everyone.

Ooh you bitch, a chain of chip shops and I'd give it a punt, but one?! Granted, I've spent a little time over the festive season attempting to peg a few who'll net a paragraph in the news pages rather than the full blown obit but, them's the rules. I'll admit now that I'm taking a risk or two mainly because it's more interesting that way.

Happy New Year Godot.

And the same to you MPFC. Harry Ramsden I'm sure would have have proved a far more famous pick (had he been still alive) than Elizabeth Edwards. As for Frankie Laine - oh dear! The panel must have a had a few drinks too many this year.

Who have you selected for the various lists this year?

Here is my DDP entry:

Terry Lubbock

Sydney Pollack

Christodoulos (Joker)

Edna Parker

George Moore

Liz Dawn

Henry Allingham

Peter O'Toole

Fidel Castro

Ariel Sharon

Cardinal Cahal Daly

Mikey Dread

Estelle Getty

Charlton Heston

Jesse Helms

Clive Dunn

Norman Wisdom

Margaret Thatcher

Betty Ford

David Beckham

Damn Terry Lubbock is a good call - wish Id thought of that. ;)

Who have you selected for the various lists this year?

Here is my DDP entry:

Terry Lubbock

Sydney Pollack

Christodoulos (Joker)

Edna Parker

George Moore

Liz Dawn

Henry Allingham

Peter O'Toole

Fidel Castro

Ariel Sharon

Cardinal Cahal Daly

Mikey Dread

Estelle Getty

Charlton Heston

Jesse Helms

Clive Dunn

Norman Wisdom

Margaret Thatcher

Betty Ford

David Beckham

Golden Balls won't be going in 2008 eejit! That's a plum waste of a name choice! and on a twenty name list too? VERY SILLY CHOICE.

Golden Balls won't be going in 2008 eejit! That's a plum waste of a name choice! and on a twenty name list too? VERY SILLY CHOICE.

My theory is that he will be doing a hell of a lot of flying this year. It's a long shot, of course, but mucho kudos if it comes off.

My theory is that he will be doing a hell of a lot of flying this year. It's a long shot, of course, but mucho kudos if it comes off.

At the rate airplanes crash now-a-days that's still such a long shot that you may have been better going for frequent flyer Michael Winner to go down with DVT.

Did I mention that I'm an Airworthiness Surveyor at Heathrow. Sometimes the odd pliers can slip for no reason. It's shocking.

Here is my 2008 DDP entry

Team: Meet Your Maker

• Sayyed Abdul Aziz al-Hakim (Joker)
  • Philip Jones Griffiths
  • Mikey Dread
  • Serbian Orthodox Church Patriarch Pavle
  • Archbishop Christodoulos
  • Sydney Pollack
  • George T.D. Moore (Australian jockey)
  • Jack Ramsay
  • Senator Jesse Helms
  • Eddie Thompson
  • Phil Chevron
  • Rev. Billy Graham
  • Nigel Plews
  • Patricia Dunn
  • Rt Rev Ian Cundy (Bishop of Peterborough)
  • Charlton Heston
  • Yitzhak Shamir
  • Levi Stubbs
  • Janez Drnovsek
  • Zeljko Sturanovic

Good luck to all the teams

Regards,

ff :banghead:

Carkers Convention 2008 line up:

1 – Rabbi Philip Berg

2 – Christodoulos

3 – Rt Reverend Ian Cundy

4 – Trudi Endersby – JOKER

5 – Patricia C Dunn

6 – Betty Ford

7 – Billy Graham

8 – Charlton Heston

9 – Dawn Hughes

10 – Rachel Jones

11 – Winnie Langley

12 – Sam Manekshaw

13 – Ian McNicol

14 – Debbie Nelson

15 – Sydney Pollack

16 – Yitzak Shamir

17 – Ariel Sharon

18 – Sargent Shriver

19 – Tomoji Tanabe

20 – Don Wittman

Is it that time of year already?

Randy Pausch (Joker; his plight has been discussed in the Telegraph, so I think he'll get an obit)

Sydney Pollack

Nigel Plews

George T.D. Moore

Archbishop Christodoulos

Eunice Kennedy

Patriarch Pavle

Baba Amte

Francis Leslie Pym, Baron Pym

Sam Manekshaw

Milivoj Ašner (Got coverage in the Guardian when alive, hopefully will get some when dead)

Joe Weider

Philip Jones Griffiths

Billy Graham

Levi Stubbs

Charlton Heston

Estelle Getty

Ronnie Biggs

Willis Lamb

Steven Hill

Ladies ...... and gentleman

I would like to introduce to you ... ....

My 2008 ..... Derby Dead Pool!

Master Mind

Randy Pausch (Joker)

George T.D. Moore

Archbishop Christodoulos

Sydney Pollack

Mark W. Felt

Patriarch Pavle

Janez Drnovsek

Randa Bin Laden

Philip Jones Griffiths

Erick Wujcik

Eddie Thompson

Baba Amte

Patricia C. Dunn

Bobby Moncur

Rt. Rev Ian Cundy

Zeljko Sturanovic

Estelle Getty

Bobby Robson

Nigel Plews

Daniel Geiges

I'll wait until the site's updated, then I'll tell you my team name and you can look it up yourself.

Eejit, you've picked Terry Lubbock. If he carks and Ian McNicol continues to breathe I'll be kicking myself, I thought long and hard over those two, figuring a pair of similar and marginal cases on the same team couldn't be good.