Anubis the Jackal

Death By Jazz

While we all wait for Mr Swayze to succumb to pancreatic cancer, one man who has lost his fight with it is David 'Fathead' Newman, who was a key member of Ray Charles' band for 12 years in the 50's and 60's, being described as its "star tenor sax soloist" no less.

Here goes bad TAF again, putting non-death-related news into Death by Jazz. Anyway, one of the few old jazzers left, Ornette Coleman, is to curate this year's Meltdown festival.

Line-up to be improvised and excessively modulated once festival starts. Ba-dum (... seven and a half beats ...) splawkk!

Octogenerian American ivory tickling jazzer, Dave Brubeck is in hospital and has cancelled several weeks worth of upcoming preformances after he was laid low with "a virus".

He's taking five then?

Octogenerian American ivory tickling jazzer, Dave Brubeck is in hospital and has cancelled several weeks worth of upcoming preformances after he was laid low with "a virus".

He's been mentioned all over, but I figured this would be the best spot - jazz guitarist Lawrence Lucie has died at the age of 101.

Jazz singer Chris Connor has died aged 81.

She sang with the Stan Kenton Orchestra before going solo and having a long and successful career, making her last appearance at the Iridium Jazz Club in New York City in 2004.

Ronnie Scott's co-founder Pete King has reached the end of his sax life at 80.

Hank Jones

The jazz pianist has died at the age of 91. He played in Billy Eckstine's band and with Coleman Hawkins, and was for a time Ella Fitzgerald's accompanist, and "is the pianist who can be heard faintly on the famous recording of Marilyn Monroe singing Happy Birthday [to President John F Kennedy], striving manfully to keep her in tune"

Benny Powell

Trombone player with the Count Basie Orchestra, who also played with Lionel Hampton, has died aged 80.

He's taking five then?

Dave Brubeck has had a pacemaker fitted after experiencing "dizzyness and fatigue" on Monday night. Brubeck, 89, will be back on the road in November. I've found him a tasteful new piano that he might like to take on tour.

HODPIANO.jpg

He's taking five then?

Dave Brubeck has had a pacemaker fitted after experiencing "dizzyness and fatigue" on Monday night. Brubeck, 89, will be back on the road in November. I've found him a tasteful new piano that he might like to take on tour.

HODPIANO.jpg

That's a pretty cool pic :(

He's taking five then?

HODPIANO.jpg

A nice take on tickling the ivories. Does it have skeleton keys?

Legendary jazz saxophonist James Moody, 85, has announced that he is suffering from pancreatic cancer, for which he has opted not to receive radiotherapy or chemotherapy. A UK obit is assured, but he'll really have to show some fighting spirit to get to 2011.

He's taking five then?

Dave Brubeck has had a pacemaker fitted after experiencing "dizzyness and fatigue" on Monday night. Brubeck, 89, will be back on the road in November.

This may only be of interest to DDT and myself (or maybe just myself), but there's a Clint-produced Arena profile of yer man coming up on 4. I don't have the stats on the correlation of Arena docs to imminent death; you might have to ask Rotten Ali.

He's taking five then?

Dave Brubeck has had a pacemaker fitted after experiencing "dizzyness and fatigue" on Monday night. Brubeck, 89, will be back on the road in November.

This may only be of interest to DDT and myself (or maybe just myself), but there's a Clint-produced Arena profile of yer man coming up on 4. I don't have the stats on the correlation of Arena docs to imminent death; you might have to ask Rotten Ali.

Sorry I could only guess at it being a 50% likelyhood of death in the round during the next two years. But I'll try and add his real figures for you later.

P.S. Gets 144 points in my book - that's just 209th on my "short list". Worth a punt but it could be a long shot.

• Like 1