Anubis the Jackal

Death By Jazz

Dunno when the interviews on this Brubeck documentary mentioned above were filmed, but Davey Boy looks at least ten years younger than his age.

Documentary also features the incongruous sight of Clint Eastwood and Jamie Cullum engaged in discussion.

• Like 1

Watching it now and have been for the best part of an hour. Enjoying it.

To me he looks like he could live for anonther ten years with care. But he has gone through a bout of "in & out of hospital" had a nasty viral infection and even been fitted with a pacemaker. Another ten years sounds steep at age 90 but heck, look at Heesters. Sure, he becomes better DL value beyond next year.

But then ditto that situation with various recient clips of film that make up this fine programme - with Ray Charles (died 2004) Walter Cronkite (died 2009) and Jay McShann (died 2006) give a false impression that he looks ten years younger than he looks. So in short for me, next year he is still a tall punt.

To me he looks like he could live for anonther ten years with care. But he has gone through a bout of "in & out of hospital" had a nasty viral infection and even been fitted with a pacemaker. Another ten years sounds steep at age 90 but heck, look at Heesters. Sure, he becomes better DL value beyond next year.

But then ditto that situation with various recient clips of film that make up this fine programme - with Ray Charles (died 2004) Walter Cronkite (died 2009) and Jay McShann (died 2006) give a false impression that he looks ten years younger than he looks. So in short for me, next year he is still a tall punt.

Come again?

Come again?

It's the jazz thread Time so improvising and losing sight of the original tune is in keeping with the whole thing. Ali is discussing the long-life chances of 90 year old and deffo obit-worthy Dave Brubeck. Lots of media coverage around his 90th birthday including interviews, allowing us to study form. Despite some health problems for Dave I'm with Ali, likely to see 2012 and maybe beyond that.

Come again?

It's the jazz thread Time so improvising and losing sight of the original tune is in keeping with the whole thing. Ali is discussing the long-life chances of 90 year old and deffo obit-worthy Dave Brubeck. Lots of media coverage around his 90th birthday including interviews, allowing us to study form. Despite some health problems for Dave I'm with Ali, likely to see 2012 and maybe beyond that.

I agree Brubeck will probably be around for years to come; I just didn't understand how he can look 10 years younger than he looks. Observations like that surely belong in the Dr. Who thread. ;)

"Looks younger than he looks"

that's just me suffering from man-flu and being dead on my feet! - consiquently fat/lazy finger syndrome was also a factor! Still suffering and my words will remain pis-pan-ounced for some time yet!

Of course in was meant to have been "looks younger than the age he is"

Saw that documentary and was able to match the artist with the 'Take 5' tune. I thought 'Fancy that. Really good.'

Then having left the radio on on Sunday while listening to the cricket, I heard the Sunday church service from Sheffield. The opening hymn was 'Sing All the Lord's Goodness'....

2 min 5 sec in...

Written in 1949 by Ernest Sands...

Legendary jazz saxophonist James Moody, 85, has announced that he is suffering from pancreatic cancer, for which he has opted not to receive radiotherapy or chemotherapy. A UK obit is assured, but he'll really have to show some fighting spirit to get to 2011.

Dead

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/de...oody-1925-2010/

Yet another very good call DDT. Shame he never got to 2011.

I'll play a different tune by posting one who's still alive. George Shearing, well enough to get a knighthood but dangerously close to 90 and - after a fall in 2004 - he spent a year in a nursing home and still couldn't walk properly when he went home. No beard mind, but he's blind so he's cool!

Dead

By far his most famous number is "Lullaby of Birdland" for which he wrote the music and George Weiss the lyrics.

I see Chris Barber and Kenny Ball are both 78 next year.

There's a strong argument for a Crimes Against Humanity bonus for those two as well. :(

Good shot Spuddy!!!

Not to mention Acker Bilk.

All three octogenarians are on tour together at the moment. That said, the tour is 4 dates spanning a period of over 3 months, so obviously having plenty of rest between. Not quite the Rolling Stones!

The drummer from the 'Take Five'-era Dave Brubeck Quartet, Joe Morello, has died.

Frank Foster

The saxophonist, composer and arranger who for many years played with the Count Basie Orchestra, has died aged 82.

Dinah Kaye deaded at 87. She actually died in September but for some reason an obit has only just surfaced.

Teddy Charles

"Vibraphonist Teddy Charles, who played with Miles Davis, Charles Mingus and Charlie Parker, has died" aged 84.

[Here's Ornette doing his thang at the RFH a couple of days ago, with 91-year-old saxophonist Andy Hamilton to his left.

Ornette keeps going strong but Andy Hamilton, a DDP pick in 2007, has died - http://www.bbc.co.uk...ingham-18317513

Well there goes the dream of an Andy Hamilton theme team in 2012, with him taking his place alongside the roly-poly darts champ and the dwarf "comedian".

• Like 1