Anubis the Jackal

Ideas And Possibilities For 2009

Singer Dan Seals, one half of the pop duo England Dan and John Ford Coley, is suffering from lymphoma. Not too sure about his UK obit chances though...

Singer Dan Seals, one half of the pop duo England Dan and John Ford Coley, is suffering from lymphoma. Not too sure about his UK obit chances though...

I'd think he'd snag one. I'd Really Love to See You Tonight is an MOR classic, with its notable mondegreen "I'm not talkin' 'bout the linen...". A song that crossed all borders and boundaries, mostly ones of good taste.

Brother of the equally soft-rockin' Jim, co-writer of Heart FM staple Summer Breeze.

John MacDougall, 60, Labour MP for Glenrothes, is suffering from mesothelioma, an incurable cancer affecting the lining of the lungs. Despite his assurances that he will not stand down as an MP and will contest the next election, other parties are already planning for a by-election, which gives an indication as to how ill he might be.

At a recent meeting of the Low Hanging Fruit Appreciation Society at the Miners in Prospect the sterling performance of Emily Blunt was noted as a potential DDP shoe-in, whilst it was also noted that Debbie Purdy's elevation to high profile campaigner might - just - get her broadsheet inches and an obit write up, on a slow news day, obviously.

At a recent meeting of the Low Hanging Fruit Appreciation Society at the Miners in Prospect the sterling performance of Emily Blunt was noted as a potential DDP shoe-in, whilst it was also noted that Debbie Purdy's elevation to high profile campaigner might - just - get her broadsheet inches and an obit write up, on a slow news day, obviously.

For a moment there, I thought you were referring to Emily Blunt, the actress. I was thinking, "Wait a minute, if Emily Blun the actress was diagnosed with terminal cancer, it would be huge news, especially since she is very young and semi-famous in Hollywood."

Then it turns out to be a totally unrelated Emily Blunt (this one appears to be some university student).

Just to clarify, this is Seals from Seals & Crofts fame, right?

Guest Private Pike

That's right, the ones who wrote Dad's Army.

No it isn't, Seals and Crofts continue to breath easy, though they've both been heavy smokers in their day. Pipe and cigs, no weed. Though Jim Seals - of Seals and Crofts - is Dan Seals' brother.

No it isn't, Seals and Crofts continue to breath easy, though they've both been heavy smokers in their day. Pipe and cigs, no weed. Though Jim Seals - of Seals and Crofts - is Dan Seals' brother.

Ah, two minutes of backbreaking research on my part could've made me aware of my own error, but thanks for the re-direction. Although now I'm wondering why they bothered to form their own mediocre duos rather than just being a mediocre brother act.

Ah, two minutes of backbreaking research on my part could've made me aware of my own error, but thanks for the re-direction. Although now I'm wondering why they bothered to form their own mediocre duos rather than just being a mediocre brother act.

They've got right idea now and formed Seals and Seals in 2002.

I guess that makes them performing seals. :)

I guess that makes them performing seals. :)

It appears that one of the seals is broken.

Susan Atkins who was jailed alongside Charles Manson has requested to be released from prison for compassionate release as she claims she has less than 6 months to live

Susan Atkins who was jailed alongside Charles Manson has requested to be released from prison for compassionate release as she claims she has less than 6 months to live

I claim she'll live long enough to qualify for CPDP entry, tricky one, mind, just which US and Canadian news sources will report her demise as and when.

I claim she'll live long enough to qualify for CPDP entry, tricky one, mind, just which US and Canadian news sources will report her demise as and when.

The Manson murders still seem fairly big news in the US (or maybe just in the sites I hang out on) there was recently a search for more bodies at the Spahn Ranch, so I'm sure her death will make the US papers.

If CNN reported on her illness, I'm sure it'll report on her death, which is sufficient for the CPDP.

Or you could have a Manson Family theme team and not worry about it. :)

Winston Churchill, the grandson of Winston Churchill, is facing his own battle with cancer. He is undergoing medical tests in New York and when asked about the cancer he replied “It’s not a road I want to go down and discuss, I’m afraid.” And on my radar that means his showdown ain't far down the narrow road of time. :)

I can't find any DL mention of JG Ballard, who has 'advanced prostate cancer' and wrote his autobiography pretty sharpish after its diagnosis in 2006.

A more recent article makes a brief mention of it, but he seems in reasonable shape.

An outside bet for 2009.

Winston Churchill, the grandson of Winston Churchill, is facing his own battle with cancer. He is undergoing medical tests in New York and when asked about the cancer he replied “It’s not a road I want to go down and discuss, I’m afraid.” And on my radar that means his showdown ain't far down the narrow road of time. :birthday2:

That reply might just have been his upper class, English, way of telling a nosey journalist to f**k off.

Renowned Egyptian film director Youssef Chahine is in a coma after suffering a brain haemorrhage. BBC report here

Re Susan Atkins, biggish article in The Observer yesterday making it obvious she's arguing for release on the grounds she's going to die soon. This appears to be accepted all round, i.e. those denying her release don't dispute the severity of the illness.

Shoe in for the new CPDP, assuming she's got that many weeks left.

Former BBC Wales correspondent Bob Humphrys is suffering from lung cancer. He is the younger brother of the rather more famous John Humphrys.

Ron Davis, the president of the (AMA), has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. His obituary status may definitely hold some value.

Damn. I was going to try him in CP's list as I think he will eck out a US obit.

Jim Koerber, former saxophonist with Ike and Tina Turner's band is suffering from toungue cancer. Not too sure about his chances of a UK obit, though.