Anubis the Jackal

Ideas And Possibilities For 2009

The Wikipedia page of former Maldivian President Ibrahim Nasir says that he was erronously reported as dead last week "But later the family confirmed that he is alive, but was admitted in a Hospital ICU, and now getting better." However this article paints a rather different picture.

The 82-year-old former leader, exiled in Singapore since his presidency ended in 1978, has previously suffered kidney problems and the prospects of a recovery are “gloomy”, according to the source....His family still has “hopes that he will recover,” but his prospects of recovery are slim following several weeks in hospital

He was heavily involved in the process which helped The Maldives, previously a British protectorate, gain independence in 1965. He will receive a UK obit.

Labour MP David Marshall quits due to ill health.

Begorrah! There's loads of by-elections going on isn't there? THe Henly one I knew nothing about until Friday...

If an MP's quitting due to ill health, then they really don't have much time left. Usually they stay till the bitter end, so I'd be surprised if he sees it through to 2009... :D

Labour MP David Marshall quits due to ill health.

Begorrah! There's loads of by-elections going on isn't there? THe Henly one I knew nothing about until Friday...

If an MP's quitting due to ill health, then they really don't have much time left. Usually they stay till the bitter end, so I'd be surprised if he sees it through to 2009... :D

I suppose he might top himself.

Mr Marshall has been ill for some time. It is understood that the illness may be related to depression.

French-Colombian politician, Ingrid Betancourt, 46, who has been held hostage by FARC rebel fighters in Colombia for over five years, is said to be suffering from hepatitis and extremely ill. A fellow hostage released yesterday described her as "very, very sick, physically and morally spent." The poor health of prisoners, political or otherwise, does tend to be exaggerated, but she did look very poorly in a photo released last year, also the intervention of the French Prime Minister and President might give a hint to the urgency of her case.

Prime Minister Francois Fillon

"It is most likely a question of weeks."

President Sarkozy

"I call on the FARC to free Ingrid Betancourt without delay, it is a matter of life or death"

She is free.

The Wikipedia page of American actress Shelley Morrison, 71, has this to say about her health:

A bout with breast cancer in 1988 forced her to undergo a lumpectomy, and when the cancer recurred in 1998 she underwent a full mastectomy. She also has battled lung cancer and underwent surgery which removed the upper third of her right lung...Morrison revealed that she was diagnosed with lung cancer in recent years, but that she is now in remission. However her breast cancer, for which she was treated in 1988 and 1998, has returned.

Can't find any verifiable sources which state she is suffering from cancer again. But if her breast cancer has returned, despite her having had a full mastectomy, then it must have spread somewhere else.

Wikipedia fails to mention she has also suffered from ovarian cancer as well, as stated here.

She should get a UK obit, she appeared in that awful TV programme "Will and Grace", which I understand is quite popular.

The Wikipedia page of American actress Shelley Morrison, 71, has this to say about her health:

Hey Deathtrip! That's one of mine! I posted her as a suggestion that I wouldn't be using in the old Ideas and Possibilities thread. I convinced myself her obituary value wasn't at the international DDP standard but .. sometimes an instant-impulse-opinion should definitely be reviewed.

Hey Deathtrip! That's one of mine! I posted her as a suggestion that I wouldn't be using in the old Ideas and Possibilities thread. I convinced myself her obituary value wasn't at the international DDP standard but .. sometimes an instant-impulse-opinion should definitely be reviewed.

I did search for her but nothing came up. That's because you spelt her name wrong.

How fantastically unverifiable of you Banshees. Well done. I had Heath Ledger in that same thread.

Meanwhile, two names that have probably been mentioned previously which might make for a unique double pick one of these years are the Von Bulows - Claus and Sunny. They were the subject of the film Reversal of Fortune, for which Jeremy Irons won the best actor Oscar. Claus turns 82 this year, one gets the impression he's lived life to the fullest, plus there's the nearly 30 years of guilt he should be carrying around. Sunny turns 76 this year, and has been in a coma and persistent vegetative state (hey, just like some DL members!) since 1980.

persistent vegetative state (hey, just like some DL members!) since 1980.

Sadly, the same can't be said for Robert.

May I tentatively suggest anyone who shacks up with Sally Dudmesh? She's got a death rate higher than Jessica Fletcher.

Fundraiser Ann Maxwell, "Britain's most inspirational and dynamic woman" and chairwoman of the Muir Maxwell Trust, is suffering from an incurable brain tumour.

"It's incurable but it's indolent right now. I've got grade two cancer but I've been told they don't believe I will die of this, and they're optimistic that when I need surgery again there will be a cure for cancer. My cancer will grow back and I have annual scans – it's a case of working out how fast it will grow."

I suppose without hope there is nothing and I wish her well... but she'd be a good bet for a deadpool next year.

Guest Doc

I strongly recommend to add

Johannes Heesters to the List.

--->http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0373535/

He is a pretty well known actor (first movie in 1924, and still active!)

He is 104 at the moment, and in 2009 will be 105 (no kidding!)

Early this year he had an accident in his holiday residence (fell down some stairs i think),

which already got him into hospital. Being "fine" now, he nervertheless is not in best shape.

If not for that - solely his age should make him Top 10, and I definetly think, that his death would be

noted in many countries including GB.

I strongly recommend to add

Johannes Heesters to the List.

--->http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0373535/

He is a pretty well known actor (first movie in 1924, and still active!)

He is 104 at the moment, and in 2009 will be 105 (no kidding!)

Early this year he had an accident in his holiday residence (fell down some stairs i think),

which already got him into hospital. Being "fine" now, he nervertheless is not in best shape.

If not for that - solely his age should make him Top 10, and I definetly think, that his death would be

noted in many countries including GB.

Johannes Heesters has his own thread here Doc, not a bad choice for 2009 :) .

They wheeled out famed Yankee owner George Steinbrenner at the all-star game today. He looked as if he may die at any second.

Susan Atkins who was jailed alongside Charles Manson has requested to be released from prison for compassionate release as she claims she has less than 6 months to live

Update on Susan Atkins

Atkins - Die-yet?

If by some miracle she survives until the end of the year her possible inclusion on the 2009 list will be an interesting topic of debate for the DL Committee.

Susan Atkins who was jailed alongside Charles Manson has requested to be released from prison for compassionate release as she claims she has less than 6 months to live

Update on Susan Atkins

Atkins - Die-yet?

If by some miracle she survives until the end of the year her possible inclusion on the 2009 list will be an interesting topic of debate for the DL Committee.

Definite deadpool material (as he squirrels away the name with the other nuts in his little deadbin) but surely not deserving of the Deathlist Ron. What are you? Some kind of cowboy?

Definite deadpool material (as he squirrels away the name with the other nuts in his little deadbin) but surely not deserving of the Deathlist Ron. What are you? Some kind of cowboy?

I was wondering how she'd do on our unofficial fame test (and I'm all for the more famous the better on the list). Obviously everyone has heard of Charles Manson and knows about the family, and Susan Atkins actually carried out the stabbing of by far their most famous victim. But if you asked Sun-reading Man in the Pub "who's Susan Atkins?", he wouldn't have a clue. Of course, some DL regulars claimed to barely know who Heath Ledger was, so we'll probably never all agree on whether some people are famous or not.

We've had far lower hanging fruit than Crazy Susan on the list in the past, if history is any sort of guide.

I was wondering how she'd do on our unofficial fame test (and I'm all for the more famous the better on the list). Obviously everyone has heard of Charles Manson and knows about the family, and Susan Atkins actually carried out the stabbing of by far their most famous victim. But if you asked Sun-reading Man in the Pub "who's Susan Atkins?", he wouldn't have a clue. Of course, some DL regulars claimed to barely know who Heath Ledger was, so we'll probably never all agree on whether some people are famous or not.

We've had far lower hanging fruit than Crazy Susan on the list in the past, if history is any sort of guide.

I read the Sun, go in pubs and know who she is. Bit harsh on Britain's favourite newspaper, read by many people with a higher degree or two......FACT!

As for Sexy Sadie Atkins I'd say her chances of making the start line for the DL debate aren't that good. But I predict a fair smattering of picks in the CPDP. She'll get sizeable press attention in the US and Canada.

Guest Nic

My personal but undervalued opinion, would be the following

1) Amy Winehouse - a person on such a self-destructive spiral must be up for some serious consideration.

2) Prince Phillip - I think this must be given some thought he must be nearing the end of the line.

3) Leila Denmark - discoverer of Pertussis Vaccine - 110 yrs old

4) Nelson Mandela - Just celebrated 90yrs, might not get any further?

Country singer and songwiter, Hank Cochran, is in hospital after having several tumours removed from his pancreas and lymph nodes. What lies in store for the man who wrote "I Fall To Pieces" and "Make The World Go Away"?

Country singer and songwiter, Hank Cochran, is in hospital after having several tumours removed from his pancreas and lymph nodes. What lies in store for the man who wrote "I Fall To Pieces" and "Make The World Go Away"?

Sounds like he's falling to pieces himself