Death in Vegas

Time Added

John Sludden, player who signed for Celtic on the same day as Paul McStay and who had fairly successful tenures with Ayr United, Kilmarnock and East Fife in the mid-late 1980s, reportedly dead at 56: 

Edit: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7075536/celtic-st-johnstone-ayr-kilmarnock-john-sludden-scotland/

• Like 2

Fortunato Franco, one of the pillars of India's last Asian Games gold-winning football team in 1962, died on Monday. He was 84. The AIFF confirmed the news of his death but did not specify the cause of his demise. Franco is survived by his wife, son and daughter. One of India's finest mid-fielders (half-back as per 1960s parlance), Franco was a part of Indian football's golden era between 1960-64. He was a part of the 1960 Rome Olympics squad but didn't get a game but was an integral part of the 1962 Asiad gold winning team in Jakarta.

He made 26 appearances for India, including the 1962 Asian Cup, where India finished runners-up, and silver and bronze-winning medal winning sides of 1964 and 1965 Merdeka Cup.
SC

• Like 1

On 03/11/2020 at 09:48, gcreptile said:

Another "dementia in football" article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/02/dementia-football-rife-game-not-doing-enough-to-help-chris-chilton-gary-chilton

I think, there's an avalanche of football players with dementia coming (as if we couldn't have guessed by the recent news). However, if you want another name for your lists, former Hull City / Coventry City player Chris Chilton, dementia for 8 years.

Chris Chilton has died aged 77

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time said:

Chris Chilton has died aged 77

Another case of "I should read my own posts" more...

57 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Another case of "I should read my own posts" more...

Another case of "I should read your posts" more...

• Like 1

Sándor Puhl, the referee for the 1994 World Cup final between Brazil and Italy, and the 1997 UEFA Champions League final between Borussia Dortmund and Juventus has died aged 65.

https://regnum.ru/news/3274754.html

• Like 2

Former Sheffield United captain, Len Badger, has died following complications of surgery. He was 75.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, time said:

Former Sheffield United captain, Len Badger, has died following complications of surgery. He was 75.

Barnsley Hull and Sheffield all lost a club legend within a day of each other. Spooky 

7 hours ago, Leon Brittan said:

Barnsley Hull and Sheffield all lost a club legend within a day of each other. Spooky 

Same day. Badger died yesterday as did Chilton and Winstanley.

On 20/05/2021 at 15:54, MarcJWallace said:

Sándor Puhl, the referee for the 1994 World Cup final between Brazil and Italy, and the 1997 UEFA Champions League final between Borussia Dortmund and Juventus has died aged 65.

https://regnum.ru/news/3274754.html

Shame to hear, I recall him being a particularly good ref, rarely fooled and dished out cards to those who tried. 

Former goalkeeper Alan Miller has died aged 51. WBA, B'ham City, 'boro, Arsenal, Argyle... he got promoted with WBA, and was in the Arsenal squad that won 2 cups in 1993.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/04/2021 at 14:27, gcreptile said:

Yoo Sang-Chul was supposedly in critical condition, being blind, and the cancer had spread to his brain.

But his manager said nothing is true: https://www.chosun.com/national/national_general/2021/03/29/ZS6SS7MDTFBNVG22HUYG6E7324/

But he has had a bad eye for many years which had turned into blindness during treatment.

I guess I'll put his death report here to quote @gcreptile - Yoo Sang-Chul dead: 

• Sad 2

On 06/05/2012 at 19:59, Magere Hein said:

Crap! I have his (remote) successor Kees Rijvers on my DDP theme team. Completely forgot about Knobel. Oh well, more than half a year left.

regards,

Hein

Bad pick! Kees Rijvers (former Dutch international and coach of the Dutch national team and PSV Eindhoven) turned 95 last week. Based on this article He still lives on his own, still cycles to the bakery (much to the dismay of his children) but doesn't watch the national team anymore because they play too defensive. He does still enjoy Messi, Hazard and De Bruyne though. And he enjoys to play billiards.

According to the article this is a pic on his 95th birthday:

1920x1080a.jpg

Blackburn Rovers have today announced the death of inside forward Frank Mooney (b. 1/1/32). I was going to post in @Octopus of Odstock's Oldest Football League Players thread, but not sure 89 is old enough! Also no mention if he's the oldest living Rovers player, but he'll be up there. https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/june/Frank-Mooney-01-01-1932-23-05-2021-/

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Blackburn Rovers have today announced the death of inside forward Frank Mooney (b. 1/1/32). I was going to post in @Octopus of Odstock's Oldest Football League Players thread, but not sure 89 is old enough! Also no mention if he's the oldest living Rovers player, but he'll be up there. https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/june/Frank-Mooney-01-01-1932-23-05-2021-/

He was a spring chicken compared to some on that list!

• Haha 1

Burnley's John Angus has died aged 82. Over 400 appearances in a 17 year career, he also won one cap for England.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2018 at 21:00, drol said:

Juventus legend Giampiero Boniperti turns 90 today! :birthday:

Giampiero Boniperti, the former top scorer of Juventus, now dead at 92:

https://www.blackwhitereadallover.com/2021/6/18/22539745/juventus-giampiero-boniperti-passes-away-at-92-2021-serie-a-team-news

I'll leave the crossposting for you all.

• Like 3

Luis del Sol, inside-right for Real Madrid in the legendary 1960 European Cup final at Hampden Park, has died aged 86.

He was prolific in his time at Real Madrid, scoring 22 times in 55 games between 1960 and 1962.

But he was best known for his spells at Real Betis between 1953 and 1959, where he scored 38 goals in 152 games and latterly, Juventus, whom he joined from Real in 1962.

He made 220 appearances for Juve, scoring 20 times in an eight-year career with them that saw him win Serie A and the Coppa Italia once each.

After leaving Juve for Roma, he also won the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1972.

Internationally, he won 16 caps for Spain, scoring three times and was part of not only the 1962 and 1966 Spanish squads at the World Cup but also the squad that won the European Championship in between in 1964.

And another, cross-posting this from the COVID thread.

He scored 23 times in 89 games for AC Ajaccio, where he played in both the first and second tiers for the Corsican club.