maryportfuncity

Widow(er) Shopping

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Katy Perry?

I don't think Brand is dead just yet. Only a matter if time though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GEMINEYE said:

I don't think Brand is dead just yet. Only a matter if time though.

Well his career certainly is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Watcher said:

Following the death of Ann Hart (widow of Ronnie Corbett) aged 90, the most famous widow of a comedian has to be Joan Morecambe aged 96.

Is she actually famous or just FFBEW (famous for being Eric's widow).

4 hours ago, The Watcher said:

Following the death of Ann Hart (widow of Ronnie Corbett) aged 90, the most famous widow of a comedian has to be Joan Morecambe aged 96.

Susan Schneider (Robin Williams' widow) and Kelly Rizzo (Bob Saget's widow) are both regulars on US TV.

Not the most famous nor married to a comedian, but Maria Elena Holly’s widowhood is certainly noteworthy. She knew Buddy for only 8 months before the Music Died, but has been curating his legacy/raking in the dollars for about 64 years. She did remarry, but that doesn’t disallow widowhood, right?

Buddy was, relatively speaking, a veritable Solomon Grundy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, time said:

Is she actually famous or just FFBEW (famous for being Eric's widow).

The later. Don’t think she would pass the DDP fame test. 

On 08/11/2023 at 22:18, YoungWillz said:

Maggie Rae, widow of Lord Alan Haworth, reportedly dead on holiday, like her hubby: https://alastaircampbell.org/2023/11/maggie-rae-an-obituary/

It is fair to say that Maggie liked a drink. Perhaps my favourite memory of all was when she and Alan were spending New Year with us in the Scottish Highlands. We had seen the New Year in with widespread commitment – including from Maggie – to participating in Dry January.

Come lunchtime on January 1, she poured herself a glass of wine and announced: “I think I’ll do wet January instead.” 

Sounded like my type of person  :lol:

Death notice for Geraldine Scott-Hopkins CBE aged 99, widow of Sir James Scott-Hopkins, the former Tory MP for North Cornwall and thereafter West Derbyshire: https://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/marketplace/advert/scott-hopkins-notices_54601

Sir James was also one of those original UK MEPs elected to the European Parliament in 1979. He died waaaay back in 1995.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Betty Moore, widow of the Intel founder Gordon Moore, dead aged 95.

• Like 2

Dunno where else to post this. Was reading about the death of Marilyn Monroe (as you do) yesterday and reminded of the documentaries that were made in the last century when some of the key players were still around. One fleeting but convincing bit of testimony in Goddess (arguably the best doc of the lot) was from Deborah Gould Lawford who was married to Peter Lawford (JFK's brother-in-law) for a few months in the mid-seventies. He'd be 100 if he was still alive but when they married she was a 25 year old "aspiring actress" and all I can find online is that she was born 1951. I'm guessing she's still around but nothing much online on the basis of five minutes inputting the obvious details. Anyone know owt? Point being, she's the kind of carker the obit writers would likely spot and cover as and when.

• Confused 1

Somewhat disgraced is cracking me up.

Comes across as...He was a great wit (but alas also a paedo). Imagine Rolf trying that excuse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Strasberg, an actress and the widow of legendary acting coach Lee Strasberg, has died.  She was 84. Anna Strasberg had sporadic credits from the mid 1960s to late 1980s. Thirty years Lee Strasberg's junior, she was his third wife and survived him when he died in 1982.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anna-strasberg-widow-of-marilyn-monroes-acting-coach-lee-strasberg-dies

(behind paywall)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Had to blink twice here.

Patricia Nimmo (nee Brown), widow of the late comedy actor Derek Nimmo, has died aged 94: https://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/marketplace/advert/nimmo-notices_55562

I forget Derek Nimmo died relatively young way back in 1999: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Nimmo

Aye he fell down a staircase in front of aforementioned widow after enjoying a boozy meal. I've seen the stairs (not in person) and it was quite a nasty fall.

This happened less than a week before Michael Craze died, falling down some stairs while going out for a walk on rehab from heart surgery. He suffered a head injury and his heart was too weak to operate.

To lose one British star prematurely to dodgy stairs in a week is a misfortune. Two looks like a habit. It meant neither was around a few weeks later for National Rod Hull Fell off his Roof Day.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Aye he fell down a staircase in front of aforementioned widow after enjoying a boozy meal. I've seen the stairs (not in person) and it was quite a nasty fall.

This happened less than a week before Michael Craze died, falling down some stairs while going out for a walk on rehab from heart surgery. He suffered a head injury and his heart was too weak to operate.

To lose one British star prematurely to dodgy stars in a week is a misfortune. Two looks like a habit. It meant neither was around a few weeks later for National Rod Hull Fell off his Roof Day.

Celebs are so much more careful these days, I think!

Unless you are Heather Locklear of course!

I rather liked Nimmo myself, a much better stutterer than Ronnie Barker imo! His now late missus died on her birthday on Hogmanay.

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Celebs are so much more careful these days, I think!

Not always.

ivana-home-019.thumb.jpg.018daf0289758442b400c532a223fa89.jpg

Like most victims, Ivana knew her killer...

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I've just learned that Cuban revolutionary and Che Guevara's widow Aleida March is still alive at 87. I've searched and can't find any prior reference to her on the forums.

• Like 2

Son Myung-soon widow of Kim Young-sam, President of South Korea from 1993 to 1998 has died aged 96.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, time said:

Son Myung-soon widow of Kim Young-sam, President of South Korea from 1993 to 1998 has died aged 96.

96?

Not Soon enough!

On 09/11/2023 at 09:06, The Watcher said:

Joan Morecambe reportedly dead: 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

On 27/03/2024 at 11:59, YoungWillz said:

Joan Morecambe reportedly dead: 

So, who gets the most famous comedian's widow title now

I'm thinking that's a question that depends on whether you think Paul Daniels was funny, as well as a magician