Vaagheid

People Who Are Dead According To Wikipedia...

14 hours ago, drol said:

Australian footballer John Barrett (wiki) reportedly dead at 94.

His Wikipedia page has been switched back to his still being alive. It's possible someone pulled the trigger on hearing the name in the news. Celebrity hairstylist John Barrett DID die and his death was being reported on August 10th: https://www.cairnspost.com.au/entertainment/celeb-hairstylist-john-barrett-dead-aged-66-his-superpower-was-making-clients-feel-like-the-most-beautiful-people-in-the-world/video/c902137dd001b97cde64ebdc404ceff1

• Like 1

Just now, alt obits guy said:

His Wikipedia page has been switched back to his still being alive. It's possible someone pulled the trigger on hearing the name in the news. Celebrity hairstylist John Barrett DID die and his death was being reported on August 10th: https://www.cairnspost.com.au/entertainment/celeb-hairstylist-john-barrett-dead-aged-66-his-superpower-was-making-clients-feel-like-the-most-beautiful-people-in-the-world/video/c902137dd001b97cde64ebdc404ceff1

Yeah probably was the hairstylist 

18 minutes ago, Insane said:

Yeah probably was the hairstylist 

No. The editor in question was a friend of the footballer and commented as such on the talk page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ronald Whittam FRS (wiki), British physiologist, supposedly died this morning aged 98.

On 11/08/2023 at 10:52, drol said:

Australian footballer John Barrett (wiki) reportedly dead at 94.

Death notice for John Barrett.

• Like 2

American huge sociologist Howard S. Becker (wiki) reportedly dead at 95.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, drol said:

American huge sociologist Howard S. Becker (wiki) reportedly dead at 95.

Not "according to Wikipedia" though, because his Wiki page cites this:

I know, mr. sassybeat. I just use this thread when no reliable sources are available.

Big name in academia. Had considered him for the DDP but tbh I got distracted with Book picking Jürgen Habermas each year and forgot. 

Libération obit for Becker.

France 1 USA 0.

Israeli intelligence officer and publisher Yaakov Nimrodi (wiki) reportedly dead at 97.

Edith Graef McGeer (wiki), American-Canadian neuroscientist supposedly dead just 3 months shy of 100.

Jack Golson (wiki), British-born Australian archaeologist, supposedly dead at 96.
Alwyn Davies FRS (wiki), British chemist, supposedly dead at 97.

Both 1926 births. Both obitable.

Anarchist sociologist Ronald Creagh (wiki) reportedly dead at 94.

• Like 1

Someone keeps editing the Wiki page of French author Christian Coffinet (wiki) to say he died, only giving "2023" but no specific date, so he would have been 99 or 100.

Coffinet is one of these people I assumed died off radar years ago. Rather oddly, he seems to have had a guest voice role in "The Simpsons".

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Someone keeps editing the Wiki page of French author Christian Coffinet (wiki) to say he died, only giving "2023" but no specific date, so he would have been 99 or 100.

Coffinet is one of these people I assumed died off radar years ago. Rather oddly, he seems to have had a guest voice role in "The Simpsons".

Anti-freeze in the wine? That is a serious crime!

I can't pretend to know him for anything other than that one scene.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, polar duck said:

Bereton C. Jones (wiki), former Governor of Kentucky, supposedly dead at 84.

Not according to Wikipedia. According to LEX18.

• Like 2

To everyone, each people who die in France, the death are reported on the official website Matchid which report all deaths on french territory each year, and these website is very accurate. With these website, we the French,  can complete the Wikipedia pages of each personality more precisely (with birthdate, deathdate, age of death, birthplace and death place). If one personality is not reported on Matchid, there are big chances that she didn’t die in France. 

Several foreign personalities who died in France last year such as Vangelis, Louise Fletcher, Peter Brook are reported on Matchid. These year, Milan Kundera or Jane Birkin are reported on Matchid.

I don’t know if there are websites like Matchid in countries like the US or the UK or Italy or Germany. But these website helps a lot. It’s the French national census for deaths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, La Tombe said:

To everyone, each people who die in France, the death are reported on the official website Matchid which report all deaths on french territory each year, and these website is very accurate. With these website, we the French,  can complete the Wikipedia pages of each personality more precisely (with birthdate, deathdate, age of death, birthplace and death place). If one personality is not reported on Matchid, there are big chances that she didn’t die in France. 

Several foreign personalities who died in France last year such as Vangelis, Louise Fletcher, Peter Brook are reported on Matchid. These year, Milan Kundera or Jane Birkin are reported on Matchid.

I don’t know if there are websites like Matchid in countries like the US or the UK or Italy or Germany. But these website helps a lot. It’s the French national census for deaths.

We've discussed MatchID on here loads of times before. And yes, we have equivalents here in the UK – the GRO Index in England and Wales and Scotland's People in Scotland. There used to be a U.S. equivalent but they shut it down.

To my knowledge, MatchID takes about 3–4 months to update? For example, Christiane Guhel (wiki) died on 31 July, and she doesn't yet appear on MatchID.

1940's Hollywood child actor Charles Bates has died in May 2022 at the age of 87, according to his Wikipedia page (which uses a memorial site as the source).

He was best-known for appearing in Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt, 1943 (which leaves Edna May Wonacott the last surviving cast member of one of my favorite Hitchcock films).

bd0a0b21485089ee7bf0cc074588f9cb.jpg

• Facepalm 2

21 minutes ago, pbert said:

1940's Hollywood child actor Charles Bates has died in May 2022 at the age of 87, according to his Wikipedia page (which uses a memorial site as the source).

He was best-known for appearing in Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt, 1943 (which leaves Edna May Wonacott the last surviving cast member of one of my favorite Hitchcock films).

bd0a0b21485089ee7bf0cc074588f9cb.jpg

Not here, he has a source plus we informed and updated his Wiki

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/clovis-ca/james-bates-10754317

Evelyn Fox Keller (wiki), prominent American feminist, reportedly dead at 87.